TKS Engineering

Clelle

Just curious if anyone owns one of these rifles or has used any of his parts,are they good... bad... what type of accuaracy is anyone seeing. thanks for the relplies ahead of time!!
grin.gif

The website is www.tksengmfg.com

Clelle

On their products page, it states that these billet receivers are machined from 6061T6 aluminum, on their standard receivers, 7075 is available at an additional price. It is my understanding that 6061 is not as strong as 7075, not as much importance on the lower (not much stress), but very important in the upper (very stressed, especially in the event of some type of failure, as rare as it may be).

Also in case you were not aware, like me up until about a month ago, billet receivers are not as strong as forged.

I am not sure I would go this route for an upper, probably OK for the lower, on their webpage they have a link to the Brownell's website and there are some reviews on there seems a little mixed.

None of the actual stress and strain of firing a round in an AR ever gets to either the upper or lower receiver.

There is not much strength needed there.

If you will run over it with your truck, stronger allows could be important to you.

All the high pressure stuff happens between the barrel extension and the bolt.

Jack

Every place that shows wear (charging handle slot, Picatinny rail, bolt guides, etc.) will get worn down a lot quicker if it's 6061 vs. 7075.
Now, if you have a catastrophic failure (slam-fire for example), I'm not sure which one would be "worse". It's possible the 6061 would stretch and remain intact better than the 7075, which is stronger, but brittle.
Or maybe the 6061 would open up like a banana, I've never seen one that failed (yet).

Personally, I'd pay the extra for the 7075, just because 6061 is really easy to ding up.

The tensile strength of 7075 is almost double 6061.

Back