Bog Pod's "Flat Top" shooting sticks?

Rustydog

Has anyone who shoots an AR tried the new Bog Pod "Flat Top" hands free shooting Sticks?

I think the idea is terrific, but when I called the company to see if an AR would work with the product they promised to have someone call me back. That never happened, so I still am curious if the concept will work with my go to coyote rifle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rustydog

I'm not too sure what they call them, but the idea is to rest your rifle on the flat portion of the tripod (analuminum plate), which then leaves your hands free. When you need to make a shot, the rifle is "up and ready". Great for hand calling. I did not look at their Web Site since I first saw them in a magazine.

The company never called me back, so I'm looking for help from our members.

Rustydog

Last edited:
My hunting buddy, Chuck Mattingly, uses the setup you are talking about. He was using the tripod and added the new plate when it came out. As you can see in the following pictures, it allows you to leave your rifle in the setup, hands free, and at the same time allows you to just pick up the rifle for offhand situations that present themselves. Better yet, the way Chuck uses it, he can lift the butt end up against his shoulder and pivot the entire setup. It really works well as do all the Bog Gear Products. I think they are the most innovative, best made sticks on the market today. The item is called "XSR" and here is a link to it:
http://www.boggear.com/xsr.html

Chuckstripodsetup002.jpg

Chuckstripodsetup003.jpg

Chuckstripodsetup004.jpg

Chuckstripodsetup005.jpg

Yep! That's is the product I am referring to. I really think this might be a great product, but..will it work with an AR-15?
I really don't think it will work with an AR but no one has come up with an answer based on their experience.

If you know if it will work, please PM me and I'll buy one ASAP.

Rustydog

The two cradles are fully adjustable, so I don't see why you couldn't use it with an AR. The picture at the site shows that they recommend that the trigger guard be behind the rear cradle, so that ought to work with an AR. I'll check more with Kim Hicks if I can reach him.

If a guy has problems swinging left or right with shooting sticks, I can't see having a third leg making it any easier, and to adjust height quickly, with shooting sticks simply seperate the legs a little to lower and bring them together to raise, but with this set-up, no can do with such ease.
This set-up looks better suited for slow action big game hunting than fast action predator calling.

Go to the Bog Gear site and you'll see that is not the case. They clearly show two methods of quick pivot, and the entire XSR pivots 360 degrees.

don't matter if the whole thing pivots 760 degrees, your butt won't pivot with it. The whole thing will have to be lifted and moved left or right and with three legs there's no way that it'll be easier than shooting sticks.

songdog, you obviously think your choice of shooting sticks is better. I have no problem with that. I gave the poster the info he looked for on this thread. The Bog Gear bipods and tripods have a cradle that pivots 360 degrees also, and the one I use works even for standing up shots. I like them and a lot of other people do too. Good hunting at ya.

I don't own one and I hope I'm not gonna eat my shoe on this but by looking at the pictures, I just don't think it will work for an AR.

Originally Posted By: rpc55I don't own one and I hope I'm not gonna eat my shoe on this but by looking at the pictures, I just don't think it will work for an AR.

+1

I think the only way it would work on a AR is if you have the mag well behind the rear rest. That would mean your rifle is resting on the handguard and barrel that's a lot of rifle not supported. OR if those rest can rise up aways! I don't own any 10rd mags but I don't think they would fit with it like its suppose to. BUT we both could be wrong!

Now if you wanted to single shot your AR and not have a mag in then I can see it working. But then why would you be using a AR???

Last edited:
I talked to Kim Hicks of Bog Gear yesterday about this question. The current model is designed around long guns of all type. The company is working on a model to accomodate AR rifles since no many people are hunting with them now. It is still in the developing stage, no projected release date. The two cradles can be adjusted closer together and use the two fasten down straps which may work with an AR. The company does not recommend that or any other modification. Obviously, you could not use the unit as my buddy Chuck uses it with his Savage Predator, just setting in the cradles for easy access. More later if and when the AR model gets developed.

Back