Summer coyote hunting?

Paws_N_Claws

Is it possible to hunt coyotes in the summer in Minnesota? There are quite a few around here that are reaking havoc on the local game birds. So, is coyote hunting in the summer possible? If so, any tips or pointers?

Thanks,
Luke

i'd say go for it if you are able to hunt them. here in wisconsin we can hunt them all year long. i'd try fawn in distress calls or even pup in distress. good luck and have fun. btw......Happy Birthday!

Originally Posted By: Paws_N_ClawsI'll give it a try after I get my new gun set up. Do decoys work any good?
Paws_N_Claws,
Welcome to Predator Masters!
thumbup.gif

What caliber/brand of rifle do you intend to use? Centerfire, I hope.
unsure.gif

I never hunt without a motion decoy.
smile.gif
A MOJO Critter has worked very well, for me.
cool.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I'm getting an AR-15 in a 223. from Todd (Specalized Dynamics). I just need a scope and bipod for it. What is a good, and decent priced motion decoy?

Thanks,
Luke

Some folks dont hunt this time of year cuz of young pups still needing their mother. I have been over this in my head several times and im still on the fence. My head says take em out and my heart says let em go till fall. I recon its how you feel about killing animals (deep down inside) cuz if the young pups are still nursing, they wont survive without her. Yote hunting is not at the top of my list this time of year but its not off it either. That being said, if they are raising cain and need to be dealt with, it iz wut it iz and ya do wut ya gotta do. I made my decoy out of an old stuffed animal, stuck a stick up its butt and through the end of its tail and tied two hawk feathers to it. We always have some kind of breeze around here and the feathers move free in the wind. My one and only kill this year almost ate it when he came bounding in. Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Here in CO we can hunt them all year long. I have a buddy that won't kill any until then end of fall! Then I have another buddy that will kill them whenever he sees them! Last time I was out every time I raised the rifle and started to get aim another adult coyote showed up and I just couldn't pull the trigger not knowing which was the male or female! Same thing with a fox this year about to drop the hammer and out come to babies! Just didn't have the heart to shoot.

As for calls I would only use chall. Howls or pup distress! Be ready the adults will charge hard! Use your other distress calls towards the end of summer when the pups are learning to hunt for themselves! Make sure your a good shot or it will come back to kick you in the butt towards winter!

Good question. Pups drop all through out the spring(ish) time of year. So from what...Feb through May? The only thing that helps me justify hunting them year round is their self preservation instinct. If and when the mother leaves the den, I figure that she wont go far if she has young pups to tend to. So unless your set up close to a den, odds are the yote you call in is a male. Ifs its not, oh well, I would just hope that if she had pups, they can hunt good enough to get grass hoppers and mice. I am by far no expert on this. This is my first year hunting Coyotes and only called in and killed one. Most of what I am saying is what has been said to me. There are lots of more experienced hunters that can give you better information than I can. Happy Hunting.

I would say dusk and dawn, just like most other animals. I shot mine at 4pm. Some states let you spotlight at night. Check your laws. You might luck out and get to do some night hunting.

What your intent is, is the deciding factor of whether or not to hunt in the spring/summer.
I want to reduce yote numbers, I hunt the heck outta them in the spring/summer. I also use decoy dogs, and this is the time of year the yotes are the most aggresive to the dogs.
If you are a recreational hunter, and want the pups to live, by sept first they are all big enough to make it without a mom.
Not saying I am right, or anyone else is wrong, we all make our choices to meet our goals.
Mojo decoys are a great choice,they can increase your odds.

I'd like to reduce numbers, but still leave coyotes in the area. There just to over populated right now. I'll probaly try a few time for the heck of it and hit them harder this fall. Thanks for your help!

Best of luck to ya, don't worry about killing them all, lots of us have been trying for years, and we still have more yotes than we want.
Go huntin and have fun!!!

Originally Posted By: Paws_N_ClawsI'd like to reduce numbers, but still leave coyotes in the area.
To each their own, according to your conviction.
smile.gif

As for myself...I have NO conviction and will show coyotes NO mercy, all year long, any size, shape, color, etc.
sneaky2.gif
There has been too many deer fawns killed in my area, so I'll show the coyotes the same mercy that they've show the fawns.
mad.gif

It is not possible to eliminate a coyote population by calling. You'd have a better chance with snares or running them with dogs. Even with the latter two techniques, coyotes from the surrounding areas will breed, repopulate the area and move back in the area you THOUGHT you'd cleaned out. In my area, I want the coyotes off the planet, but as hard as I hunt them, I have to face the facts that all I'm doing is thinning them out...but it's a start in the right direction.
thumbup1.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

If a caller is good at what they do, they can kill lots of coyotes during the Spring - Fall. My percentages of killing coyotes is actually better in the Spring, Summer and Fall than the Winter. By the time deer season ends, many coyotes have been trained by hunters who have no clue how to coyote hunt and have made a hard to get coyote, even harder to get.

As far as calls, I also don't love the idea of starving pups at home although killing an alpha male will put tons of stress on the pups anyway. Once you start getting to summer time, in ND where I live, the skeeters are so bad, you don't want to be out early or late anyway, so I stop hunting due to the bugs more than anything.

During the summer, there is usually lots of cover, so decoys aren't as necessary as both the coyote has more cover to approach the call and you have more cover to hide in. You are killing most coyotes because they are protecting their territory during this time most likely so if you use a decoy, you would want some type of coyote decoy. You can kill some coyotes with prey distress but this isn't going to be your best calling options during this time of year. Good luck and I won't be calling until Fall unless the bugs die soon.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssu I also use decoy dogs, and this is the time of year the yotes are the most aggresive to the dogs.

How do you use the dogs? I've heard of this but don't know how its done.

Flyrodder

Back