Good hand call for rookie fox caller?

snappertrapper

Hey guys in the fall I usually make 4 or 5 float trips at night coons and since most of the area I float through is farm country I'd like to buy a hand call to see if I could call in a few fox this year as well. My question is whats a good hand call to purchase for a newbie to fox calling? Thanks!

It's hard to beat the cottontail in distress. There's a lot of great custom hand call makers on here that could hook you right up. IMO, most of those custom calls sound a lot better most of the "name-brand" calss you pick up at a sporting good's store. Kerry Carver makes some awesome distress calls(carverpredatorcalls.com). Also, at close range since you are floating and those riverbanks make great hunting ranges for foxes, don't rule out the simple lipsqueaks. Those foxes can hear that to 100 yds+.

Most of the rabbit distress calls are simple to use, just try to put some emotion into it and not sound so monotunous and you should have good results....Good luck this fall! hope this helps a little.

Ihave bought my share of custom calls around here and love them all. One that might be of interest though is from Kettle Creek called the big pekker and actually the arrow shaft by Bees Obrien makes is pretty cool to not too loud but sounds great.

All good advice! Especially that Sceery AP-6. Great place to start or finish.

Jason mentioned lipsqueaking as you float. If you haven't mastered(in your opinion) the lipsqueak yet, then go to www.allpredatorcalls.com and do a search for Burnham Bros S2 or S4 calls, they are little flat pieces of plastic with a rubber band type reed stretched in between them. They work "hands free" and are low in volume(exactly what you need) most folks call to loud anyway. Just stick one in you mouth crossways, like a harmonica and bite and blow, amazing close in squeaker sound, plus it will call a Red from several hundred yards out. Reds love that lower volume, more realistic to them. After the reeds wear out, I replace them with my own modified reeds made from ziplock plastic bags and such, pair of scissors is all you need and a couple of rubberbands to hold the ends together. They are like $4.

You'll have every coon and fox on that creek bank looking at you. Good luck. Make it pathetic and agonizing with lots of emotions, "Oh man! I am dying over here" They will come.

Did you read Dave Kaprocki's article in the recent issue of PX?

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Pruson - Yeah, thats where I got the idea from PX. I'm from PA too and since I float through alot of farm country I figured I might as well call foxes too. If you guys never tried that way of hunting coons though you should. Its a blast, such an adventure.

Better watch how you word that... some guy turned you on to "a little pecker"... LOL. The characters around here will have a field day with it if ya let them!
wink.gif

tell ya what I am really starting to like the diapharm calls. have have some that are howlers and bird sounds that really do nice work. if you can use a turkey call the diapharms made for preds are nice tools.

Originally Posted By: ultramagAnybody ever try a Tenterfield Fox Whistle ?

Yes, and they do work as advertised. The most realistic sound of a rabbit that I have ever heard. Especially good on Red Fox. Can be very loud, which allows it to reach great distances. I would actually consider it a long range call. Then go to lipsqueaks once they are inbound.

It screams!!!!

Another excellent mouthcall for Red Fox is the Verminator Long Range Tweety(all Tweety's). Kerry Carver makes one very similiar to these, sound wise.

Tell ya what, that AP-6 is a really easy one to start with, but I'm like some others that went to diaphragms. If you can use a diaphragm, they are the ticket. Thats just me, but i've done alot of killing. If you have never used one before, they will require some practice, but once you master it they are nice.

-Dave

The only drawback to the AP-6 is the price. There are other calls from HS, Haydells, D3 that makes one similar to the AP-6.Even the Catnips are a decent price.

john007

I ordered three from a Sportsman Centre in Great Britian. Expensive once you pay shipping and handling, if you do it that way.

But there is a youtube video on how to make them, fairly easy to do. We made up several that worked just as good as the purchased ones. It is just a folded piece of metal,thin zinc-aluminum, with off setting holes drilled in it, at different diameters. Takes a few minutes to master, but once you do, they are unparalleled for original sound. They scream, don't try and blow them softly. They are not to be used as a coaxer.

Good luck

Back