Operation Leatherback Part 2

Jay Nistetter

Gill Hooking

10Carp.jpg

There is no truth in the old myth that they always circle to your downstream side. Some carp are just born stupid I ‘spose.

Line ‘em up to make ‘em sweat
Notice homemade monitoring device attached..

09Carp.jpg

OFFICIAL STATS:

Time: 10AM-ish
Temperature: 106 to 110 degrees
3-man squad: Uncle Jay, Smack Daddy Dale & Hoss (Squad Leader).
Sound used: 84-bit CarpSuck and RuttnCarp.
Weapons used: Carp-Getters.

THE CARP SQUAD IS COMMITTED TO PROTECTING AND DEFENDING OUR NATION’S WATERS AT ALL COST

The Lip-Grab Interrogation Technique from previous mission.

15Carp.jpg

“Friendlies”

12Carp.jpg

13Carp.jpg

Poor Man’s Sailfish

03Carp.jpg

16Carp.jpg

HAPPY GRILLING

I can't believe any of you lived through all of that? It must've been hellish? You never even radio'd for artillery support? Your all brave men. Say, that water is way to clean for carp. Whats with that?

The next day we were all in poor shape.
We missed the spawn (bummer) and we never heard a single carp surface sucking which was amazing. Ripples and sounds are how I've always run into them unless it was during the spawn. These were held tight under the moss.
I did actually step on one I thought was a submerged rock. Never had a rock scare me so bad or move so fast. Hoss thought I fell in the river again.

We did radio for support but everything was tied up on the US/Mexico border. We were left to our own devices.

The enemy was entrenched under clouds of surface moss slowly taking over the river. Another couple weeks of Arizona heat and there will only be a trickle of clear water. Sand doesn't cloud up like silt under moderate flows.

The stick was used to gently push the moss around and we would spot a carp motionless on the bottom.

If I had any clout?[I'm currently cloutless]. I would put you all in for a coveted Kenyan medal. Again glad you all made it home in one piece? Good thing you had Hoss as a squad leader. Otherwise, you would've took casualties. I suspect.

I think I would have washed the DIRT off that fish before I grilled him. Or, maybe not....Is that where that crunch comes from when you eat "blackened fish"?
confused.gif
thumbup.gif

Jay, I can certainly understand the fun in attacking a swarm of those devils under those conditions.... But to actually grill and eat those greasy mutants takes a lot of self sacrifice...

Around here, Carp are considered "Junk Fish" unless you are really hungry and it's a survival situation...Much like coastal hunters consider Shark....But then, I do enjoy a good Shark steak once in a while...

Your excursion seemed to be really satisfying when all is said and done...

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarI think I would have washed the DIRT off that fish before I grilled him. Or, maybe not....Is that where that crunch comes from when you eat "blackened fish"?
confused.gif
thumbup.gif

I think after cookin,you eat the dirt and toss the fish !
sick.gif

We didn't eat the fish.
We distracted the cook, threw them his brand new grill, took the picture, tossed the evidence and then had fun with the pictures later on.

Looks like fun!

I was visiting a family recently here from Russia. Their boy had caught some fish and they were having that for dinner - and of course we were required to eat with them. The fish smelled wonderful and tasted really good. The only problem was all the bones ...

I got brave enough to check where he had been working on the fish and it was a carp.

So, I don't know if it was just how they prepared it, but it was good eating - just a lot of bones to pull out. Probably if a person took care how they filleted them that could be alleviated as well.

Maybe that is how we will survive the economic crisis - plenty of carp to go around .....

Back