Bawling Calf Sound?

Teamroper

Has anyone out there used a bawling calf sound? I hunt a lot of cattle farms and haven't used it yet just because I don't want the whole herd on top of me. But we all know that sometimes getting other animal's attention is a good thing. I know that the fawn distress works, especially this time of year, but I don't know a thing about the calf call. Just asking. I already have the sound, just wondering if I should use it or not? See ya in the woods.

I've had mixed results with the calf in distress sound. It's been my experience that it works better in mid summer to early fall than right now. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that when trying to take down a calf, it's usually better coordinated by a mated pair and their adolescent pups. This time of the year, one of the mated pair are usually staying in the "den area" while another goes out to collect food. The actual attacks that I've seen on calves usually have one of the mated pair holding the mother cow's attention, the other rushes in for the kill. Once the pups are old enough to leave alone or go hunting with their parents, you'll probably have better luck with the call. (I'd say wait until late June or early July). Also, be prepared to have the entire herd of cows respond to your call if you're hunting in a location where they are present. In the event, there are not any cows around, the yotes probably aren't familiar with the sound and whats required to take down a calf. If that's the case, go ahead and use it as yotes are curious and will come into any new distress sound.

Last edited:
alphayote, that may be true in Georgia but it works a good deal different up here in central Ky.. 5 or 6 big coyotes get together and take down big calves on a too regular basis. I have a sequence on my CS-24 that I made on Goldwave that simulates coyotes attacking a cow and calf. If you can get set up in a field next to the one the cattle are in, with a line fence seperating the two fields and a cross fence forming a "T" across the end, the cattle will come into the corner and raise [beeep]. This just adds realism to the scenario and I have had multiples come in to that setup several times. I am confident what you described in Ga. also happens here too, but calves are a target up here anytime.

Good point possumal. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say it didn't work here in Georgia, just that when the pups are young, I don't see as many adult yotes "hooking up" to take down larger prey such as a calf. It's been my experience that this time of the year, yotes are very territorial and don't want other adult yotes anywhere within their range.

I aint a predator callin rocket scientist but I figured that any type of distress call would get ther attention, think about when callers use sounds that would be made by animals that you know a coyote hasnt heard before,( a eastern coyote hears a jack rabbit per say), they go into hunting mode all by themselves, they dont have to think " Hey, thats a jack rabbit, aint no jack rabbits in alabama, I better leave this one alone".

I'd say try it, cant never tell what mite show up.

Possumal , Would like more info if possible on your calf distress . I have a Foxpro and got their calf bawl and it really isn't a disress call. It's more just a calf bawling for his momma. I am a rancher and have always thought in the right setup a calf distress would work.

Having heard a "real" calf distress-it IS the sound of a calf calling for his momma.
laugh.gif

Calves, while not helpless, are really dependent on their momma for protection. When Team Roper and I went hunting one day there were a couple of cows that circled up around their calves. Sure enough I think he got #6 that day!

You'll hear the "calf distress" during the weaning time. Many farmers separate the cows and calves instead of allowing it to happen naturally. If you want to hear calf distress you should hear 60 calves calling for momma at the same time!
smile.gif

My brothers in law, and father in law all have cattle. In the northwest part of Kansas, they don't have much predation of calves. Most of the time it is calves that are having trouble since most of them are born in the winter. It may be because the farmers keep them under control, but it may also be that there is plenty of wild food for them as the area abounds with deer, pheasants, turkey, etc.

I'm not an expert by any means (on anything really :p). I just have some personal experience with cattle from being around them.

Last edited:
I've been around cows and calves my whole life. That is how I make my living. There is a difference in a calf just bawling for his momma and a calf bawling in distress. Try grabbing one to tag it or work it or sic a dog on one. I also think for good calling sound some mother cow bawling and raising **** would be mixed in with the calf bawling. You need some real distress, something that gets the momma going good. I"ve had cows just stand there and look at their babies bawling for them but throw in some real distress and it's a different story.

I was out to my in`laws house sitting a few weeks ago and heard a cow making the most pathetic bawls I have heard in a while. Told the wife that maybe something was after her calf. This went on for about five minutes or so while we were letting our mini- schnauzers out for the evening. Not more than 2 or 3 minutes later she we see a yote trotting down the fenceline. Had a .223 , Marlin .357 and two Glocks all in the house.
cursing.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 22250impI've been around cows and calves my whole life. That is how I make my living. There is a difference in a calf just bawling for his momma and a calf bawling in distress. Try grabbing one to tag it or work it or sic a dog on one. I also think for good calling sound some mother cow bawling and raising **** would be mixed in with the calf bawling. You need some real distress, something that gets the momma going good. I"ve had cows just stand there and look at their babies bawling for them but throw in some real distress and it's a different story.

You of course are correct! When you grab them or separate them for "doctoring" they do have a different sound. It has been a long time since I've been around them regularly. Now I'm just a city slicker-full time. :p

Keep them calves alive! Wendy's needs them!
laugh.gif

(I actually invested some money in a cattle herd! It has been the best return on investment I've had with the down economy! I'd be PISSED if coyote messed with my investment!)

Here where I'm at I really have very little trouble with coyotes messing with the babies but I work on them pretty hard around here in the winter time to keep them in check. I can actually say I've only lost one calf to coyotes and he was a little dink of a calf that got on the other side of the fence where his momma couldn't protect him during a snow storm. Had another that had a hole about the size of 1/2 a softball chewed from his hip. He survived and I got to eat him. Can't hardly market a steer with 1/2 his top round gone. That's the coyote I would have like to have caught in action.

Back