Catahoula Leopard dog question

222shooter

First off. I know absolutly nothing about this breed of dog but I knew someone here would give me the straight scoop.
My wife saw some of these on a rescue website and thought they were beautiful looking dogs. Could you tell me about them and how they would be as a family dog. I don't think I would hunt them.
Thank you for your help.
Rich

Duane can let you know about them, I'm sure he'll reply, but you may want to PM him with some specific questions.

if its a grown dog then it depends on how it was treated if it will be a good family pet, raised right and from a pup they cant be beat as a pet, but i've seen some raised for guard dogs and they were not good pets. the dog i hunt every day is half catahoula and sleeps with my little boy so they can be graet pets

Last edited:
I have a half Catahoula half Australian Shepard. He is only 10 months old and strangers do not get around my two little girls.

He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever raised. He worked a trapline with me this year, and set on a few calling stands.

I really socialized him with strangers since he was eight weeks old. He acts great around folks that are not around my home but he is very territorial otherwise.

I agree with the whole how they were raised thing. Ive seen some Leopard Catahoula that were beaten for trashing out when they were hunting, and they become very shy and skittish. Only way to know is to go pay him a visit.

my family has used and raised them for about 40 years now. it depends on the particular dog, or line of dogs, and your situation. do you have cats, chickens, etc.? do you have close neighbors that have pets, cats, chickens, etc., or small children? I have three small kids, and have never worried about them around dogs that were raised with them, but always watch them when anyone else is around, including other kids. as a general rule, they can be very protective of their family and territory, however, they can still be great family pets. i would stay away from the more timid ones because they seem to have a larger "bubble" and may be more aggressive towards anyone invading their space. also stay away from any with a lot of white, especially white heads, they are sometimes deaf.

lepcur, in this part of the world their one and the same, everyone just lumps them together, dont know about other places

yep here too. never heard one called a catahoula til about 15 years ago. they were always just called "leopard dogs" and were not registered. they were bred for type and ability, to do a job, not for pets, and werent sold, traded, given, to anyone who didnt use them. my family had had them 25 or 30 years before we ever owned any registered catahoulas. i didnt like them as much as the old dogs we had, so now im back to plain ole "leopard dogs". nowadays theres a lot more of em around, and everybody around here calls em catahoulas, so i mostly do too, because most people think leopard is a color.

maybe the ones i'm familiar with are more like the curs than catahoulas.

Last edited:
I've played with catahoullas alittle, some blue leopards, some red loepards, some brindles' some bla ba bla, color don't mattter, the simple fact is a dog rasied right, will be a great pet, and a "nut case" is just that.With a rescue dog your taking a chance, If your OK with that and know the risk , give the dog a shot. If you want "better odds" purchase a dog from lines that are known to be gentle, nothing is for sure, but its alway good to play the odds.
Besides 250$ for a pup outta proven lines, is petty cheap, compared to a guess on a rescue dog. Just my opinion.
If ya have specific ?'s, or wanna chat, send a pm, or give me a call. Duane

i agree Duane, didnt see as many loud colored ones years ago. best dog i ever had was brown brindle and looked a lot like a plot hound. (he wasnt, i knew his ancestors for several generations) best dog i have now was a pup outta the brindle dog, and is black and tan.

Plinker, I got a few pups left for sale, you should try one of these. If your interested, send a pm, I''ll send ya some video, and stills of the parents, and previous litters.
I have some color, but its just by accident.

Does the rescue just kennel them or do they live in a home enviornment? If they live in a home enviornment, they should be able to tell you what the dog is like. I agree with the above posts, be careful. Ask if you can take the dog overnight for a trial or something along those lines. We always want to make sure a dog is a good fit before sending them to a new home, any good rescue will too.

My Budro was a hand full for a while at about 10 months. Kind of like the terrible twos in kids. I went to the training collar early and it really helped.
I still have to watch him when a stranger is around as mentioned, but that's to my liking.
He is great with the kids and our little 20# 8 year old Schnauzer. He gets a little rough with him but has never hurt him.
A few weeks ago we took him to a flea market in a small town, there were thousands of people there and other dogs. I kept him on a short leash and he did great, even with small kids that wanted to pet him. A few passing Pit bulls made me nervous but Budro did not pay much attention.

Years ago I took in a Cat Cur in LA, full grown. He was a waste of time due to the way he was raised. Kenneled all the time and I suspect beaten a few times. That dog would not let anyone get near him not even me. In the end he lost a fight with an automobile when he escaped his kennel. Probably for the best.
To do over again, I would only do it from a pup unless I knew where the grown one was coming from and knew who raised them.
Rick H...

Thanks for all the input. I think I have my wife talked out of getting another dog. We have 3 now, 2 dachunds and a mutt. I would be interested in these dogs if we had the room and didn't have 3 dogs already. They are handsome!

Back