Greenpeace Activist Harpooned

azmastablasta

Greenpeace activist harpooned by tuna fishermen

(AFP) – 2 days ago

PARIS — A Greenpeace activist trying to free tuna from a commercial fishing net in the Mediterranean on Friday was harpooned through the leg by fishermen on a French boat, the environmental group said.

"In a non-violent action, Greenpeace activists in zodiac boats attempted to lower the side of a purse seine net with sand bags to free the fish," said Isabelle Philippe of Greenpeace France.

"At that moment, fishermen violently attacked the activists, harpooning one of them through the leg," she told AFP by phone.

The injured man, a British national identified by the group as Frank Huston, was transferred to a hospital in Malta where he was to undergo surgery Friday evening.

"His life is not threatened, but he is in serious condition," Philippe said.

The fishing ship, the Jean-Marie Christian VI, was one of several French tuna vessels in the area when the attack occurred in international waters near Malta, she added.

Several boats surrounded the zodiacs, threatening them with knives attached to long poles and some of the fishermen also fired flare guns at a Greenpeace helicopter hovering overhead to monitor, Greenpeace said in a statement.

A French navy vessel was seen arriving in the area after the clash had ended, the statement added.

Greenpeace said that it had stationed two ships in the Mediterranean, the Rainbow Warrior and Arctic Sunrise, to confront tuna fishing boats during the short tuna fishing season.

Pascal Husting, director of Greenpeace France, condemned the fishermen for their violent response.

"The tuna fishermen only know brutality: all our militants have are bags of sand to weigh down the nets and free the fish," he said.

Bertrand Wendling, head of Sathoan, which represents the owners of many of the French tuna fishing boat including the one whose nets were targeted by Greenpeace, accused the group of interfering with a legal business activity and jeopardising the livelihoods of ordinary fishermen.

"Red tuna fishing is a highly regulated, legal and permitted activity," he said.

"It is out of the question that you go out on the high seas to stop people working when they have only 15 days in which to earn a living, because the season runs from May 15 to June 15 and until now the boats have been completely stuck."

About 100 fishing vessels navigate the Mediterranean during the short tuna fishing season.

Many of the boats carry net cages used to encircle the tuna swarms, which are then towed offshore to be fattened and shipped in giant freezer ships to Japan, where it is a mainstay of sushi and sashimi.

Industrial-scale fishing and harvesting on the high seas has caused stocks to plunge by up to 80 percent in the Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic, where they come to spawn in the warmer waters.

Earlier this year the European Union and the United States backed an international trade ban on tuna fished from these waters, but Japan lobbied successfully and the proposal was defeated.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gOCa-VozQ6Gzmt7cOwIDu6Pokknw

i saw a show about about some bunnyhuggers harassing japanese whalers. if you cant mind your own business, then you deserve to get harpooned.
that article above makes the fishermen sound like the bad guys.

There has been an advertisement for a new Reality Show on either the History or Discovery channel and the ships Captain is asking the crew members (Environmental Activists) if they are willing to die for what they believe in doing...This incident should cause some to reconsider their position...

IMHO, those people are no better than the fanatical Muslims that are suicide bombers....

If you were to come around and start interfering with my means of making a legal living, you had better be more committed than I am about my food and my family...

Originally Posted By: kirbyWhat O.T said. That fisherman, needs to work on his harpoon trajectory. Otherwise I give him a C+.

I agree Kirby, the chest or throat would have gotten him an A+.

The part that makes me mad about this and the stupid whale wars is they are choosing to put themselves in harms way. Then whine when they get harmed?

In the story the group says that their militants are armed with sand bags. If you are a militant should you not expect to be treated as one?

Exactly what OT said there is no sympathy for this guy. Well regulated fishing and hunting is a great way to meet the food needs of our world.

the "Rainbow Warrior"
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Based on what's happening at sea with tree huggers interfering with the livelihood of honest fishermen, I think they should start carrying bigger artillery when out on the job.
I would be packing a shotgun, and a rifle in addition to a harpoon.
It's in International waters, and the tree huggers think they have some God given right to stop what I'm doing? They better be prepared for an appropriate, and SIGNIFICANT response. They are no better than the Somali Pirates.
One of these clowns from Australia is in jail in Japan now for interfering with the Japanese whaling operations. I would think that 20 years in jail would be about right for that creep. It hasn't gone to court yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sweatybettythat article above makes the fishermen sound like the bad guys.

Just keep in mind that the bunny huggers wrote it.
Didn't the original "Rainbow Warrior" get sunk in a French port?

We get these enviro loons on the docks where I keep my boat here in the NorEast. They come in by water so its hard to keep them off the docks in a 200+ slip marina. They wander around looking to see who has caught a bluefin or has equipment to catch them and then start their BS. We chase at least a dozen off the property, some fall in the water (guess how).

It gets old but they are bold.

T2G

Bad enough they are idiots.
Worse is that they keep trying to inflict their idiot will on others. Much like other typical leftist/totalitarian idiots.
So satisfying when they step on their own you-know-whats.

What do you expect, it was a French fishing boat. Everybody knows they can't hit what they aim at. They apparently missed the helicopter too.

Whale wars……….. the story of an overweight, arrogant, narcissist, who leads a band of misguided, mostly young people to confront Japanese whalers in the waters off Antarctica. Why someone has not been killed during these escapades is beyond me.

To add even more fuel to the fire they call themselves pirates and fly their rendition of the Jolly Roger.

When you watch them you realize the ghosts of real pirates cringe in shame at the sight of their ensign flying over a group of hemp smoking losers under the command of a complete idiot, whose idea of a pirate like activity is throwing "stinky acid" at a group of whalers used to working up to their armpits in whale gore.

So it comes as no surprise that someone fishing in the Med who’s being harassed by the Greenpeace crowd might snap and throw down on them. Something about playing with fire and getting burned comes to mind.

Back