.222 Magnum

eclubine

Does anybody here shoot and/or hunt with a .222 Remington Magnum? If so what are the pros and cons? Favorite powder, bullet, primer? Ive dicided im going to put together a Savage in this cartridge. And before somebody suggests a regular .222 or a .223, ive always been interested in "odd" chamberings cause there not something you see everyday. thnaks ahead

I got an older Sako in one. I use the same bullet and type powders as I would in a 223.

Pros; it is slightly faster, has potential to be more accurate.

Cons; brass is more expensive and harder to find, suppose you could use 204 brass.

I have two Rem 722's in 222 Rem Mag.
Nosler Makes 222 Mag ammo exclusively for Midway, and brass is available a Huntingtons.com. I bought a bag of 250 from them about 2 years ago. The Nosler ammo is very accurate, and most every load I tested shoots well.
Here are some pix of some of my groups shot at 100 yards.

Five shot group @ 100 Yards; Nosler Factory Ammo, 1/2"
DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

DSCF0302.jpg

I almost hate to say this after the past few days, but I own a semi-custom Rem 700 in 222 Remington Magnum that I use for PD's only.

It shoot extremely well with BL-C2 and Sierra 52 Grain BTHP bullets.

The 222 RM is a little bit of a step above the 223 Remington in terms of performance, but like you stated, owning something a little bit different works for that purpose alone if nothing else.

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyI almost hate to say this after the past few days, but I own a semi-custom Rem 700 in 222 Remington Magnum that I use for PD's only.
-BCB

But......did it pick you? Does it make your chest swell a bit? And most important, has owning it made you a better person? This might could be another magic cartridge waiting for discovery. Shouldn't have sold mine.

About the most accurate factory barrelled gun I ever had was a Sako HB L469 which was the .222Mag version of the old detachable magazine L46 action. Wish I'd kept it. The only real downside to a 222Mag is Remington brass which can't be loaded hot enough to give it that much more than a 223. Making it from .204 would be a solution, but also a bother. If different is what you're after, maybe the 22-204.....dies take a little doing but it holds more powder than a 222Mag and has better brass available. I have one but haven't fooled with it yet. Or just do a .223AI which gives surprising performance with good strong brass and a good chamber.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: Bayou City BoyI almost hate to say this after the past few days, but I own a semi-custom Rem 700 in 222 Remington Magnum that I use for PD's only.
-BCB

But......did it pick you? Does it make your chest swell a bit? And most important, has owning it made you a better person? This might could be another magic cartridge waiting for discovery. Shouldn't have sold mine.

LOL..!!!! I hadn't thought of that...
drool.gif

Now that you mention it, maybe I should get it out of the safe and see if anything "special" develops.
laugh.gif

Wink, wink...

-BCB

I have a 1963 vintage Sako L461, the Vixen, in 222mag. I am very pleased with the performance. I use 223 loading info to start and work up from there.

My main coyote load is a max charge of H4895 under a 55gr Nosler/Winchester Combined Tech, in Remington brass. This load chronos about 3425fps.

To reform 204 brass, I run the 204 brass through the full lenght sizer for the 222mag.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I have a 1963 vintage Sako L461, the Vixen, in 222mag.

That's got to be one of the most desireable rifles ever made in all of the chamberings it was built in. They are beautiful. Kudos on having a GREAT rifle.

Originally Posted By: eclubinecoyotejunki, how would one go about making .222 RM brass from .204?

martyn4802, those are some good groupings.

i believe the 204 is just a necked down 222rm.

Let see I've got a 222,222AI,223,223AI and Rem 722 222mag. I have a good supply of 222mag brass as I also shoot a factory 40x (6x222mag).

I use all the above rifle shooting PD. I'm using 26gr/H-4895 with 50gr dogtown bullet in the 222mag and the only thing done to that rifle is bedding and trigger job been a good varmit rifle.

Lots of good calibers out there.

Originally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: eclubinecoyotejunki, how would one go about making .222 RM brass from .204?

It isn't. Compare them side by side. Or just look at measurements in a reloading manual.

I also have an early 60's Sako Vixen in 222 Mag. P.O. Ackley stated that the 222 Mag was a superior cartridge to the 223 but the military wasn't interested.

Remington still makes 222 mag brass and they probably will for some time to come since it's used for wildcat cartridges and their rifles.

I use a 50 grain Sierra Spitzer Blitz bullet for coyotes and it's an efficient killer. I've used the Blitz bullet in my 222, 222 Mag and 223 Ackley Improved and it's worked very well out of all of them.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: eclubinecoyotejunki, how would one go about making .222 RM brass from .204?

It isn't. Compare them side by side. Or just look at measurements in a reloading manual.

ok. it is based on the 222 rm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/204_ruger.htm

I have 2 222 magnums ATM 3rd has been shipped:) my Remington 722 likes viht n133 powder and 50gr nos. Ballistic tips. Where as my Styer upon Martyn's recommendation I tried Tac powder and it has been the golden star with this gun along with 40gr Sierra blitzkings. I love em even though they are obsolete I love to be diffrent and was always interested in the caliber and they have not dissapointed. Brass is quite available even up here in Canada so don't let that scare you yet anyway. I have also made some out of 204 brass with sucess and it was easy. Hope this helped take care.

You just hit on a caliber I don't have. What is the difference in performance between the 222 magnum and the 22-250? Does Sako still make the 222 magnum today?

Back