Rockchuck Tally

Verminator2

I figured I would start a rockchuck tally for the year on this post. Anybody else who's killing rockchucks or groundhogs feel free to post.

First chuck of the year. Story is here

1stChuck-1044.jpg

Here are the next two. The little one was at 624 on the second shot, big one was at 380 on the 3rd shot.

VarmintHunting2010037.jpg

Dad glassing for chucks.

VarmintHunting2010028.jpg

Went out yesterday and got one at 450 on the first shot. Dad also got one at 450 on the 5th shot.

2010Varmints029.jpg

The lone survivor.

2010Varmints024.jpg

Went out and got 2 more on Saturday after an F-Class shoot. Turns out my scope didn't track back down to zero and was a minute off
cursing.gif
So the first 2 we hit in the head, then the next 2 we missed, but got it fixed an got 2 more. This was the most rockchucks we have seen anywhere in about 2 years, so we didn't shoot many, hoping to keep the colony alive and not shoot them out. Here are some vids we took through the spotting scope with our camera.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q85/tt35/?action=view&current=2010Varmints059.flv

Just scroll through the pics and you will find the other 3 vids. We got some good pictures of rockchucks there too.

I'll add 3 more to the yearly tally, they were shot outside burns oregon with Shooters Services Unlimited. I'm not a youth but still younger then most.
IMG_1049.jpg

Thanks Ben! Congrats on the Moderator position.

So 2 weeks ago we got 2 more chucks. One at 256 and one at 200. Then last Saturday my brother came up from Cali for my birthday. We took him out and got him into the 500 yard club with 526 yard shot. I also got 2 at 526 and 540. Yesterday was my birthday so we skipped school and went hunting
laugh.gif
Upped the tally another 16 chucks(just me, dad had another 16) with the farthest shot being 562, first shot. Here are some pictures I took.
302 yards
rockchucks.jpg

220 yards
rockchuck.jpg

200 yards
charlesjr.jpg

Here is another chuckzilla that Dad shot. Weighed 10.5 lbs, not the heaviest we killed, but he was as long as the stock on my Dad's cooper.

2010Varmints011.jpg

And another Mega chuck that we didn't shoot. Let him fatten up a bit more before we go back
wink.gif

009.jpg

We went back out last Saturday with my uncle. I popped 2 chucks at 330, one in the head and one right below the chin. Also tried at 700 but it was just a hard situation and I couldn't connect.
Went back out Monday to try a new spot. Turns out where we went wasn't all that great, but we did get a couple. I started off with a miss at 350. I didn't sight my gun in after taking it out of the stock the day before, so we had to resight my rifle. Then I had a rematch at 390 and popped a big one on the third shot, having a hard time with the wind. Dad got the next one a 475, the long shot for the day. We then drove for a while before we found a few surrounding a resevoir. There we both got 2 at 280 yards. Then I spotted some on the other side of the resevoir. We got to somewhere just over 1000 yards. I took quite a few shot, with a quite a few just an inch or two away from the chuck, but never could connect. The wind was too much for that far away, about 10 mph that switched from right to the left and wasn't consistent. I'll try again some time on a calmer day.
It was late so we headed back home, but took a "short-cut" to check out how the chucks were doing in a spot we shot before. There were a few of them. Then I spotted one that we had seen last time with the big chuck my dad shot above. I promised that if I could shoot him I would eat it. We ranged him at 125 and I put a 105 amax its head. This was a BIG chuck. He was square. Took him home and weighed it at 13.25 lbs, the biggest chuck we have ever killed.
Now we took it home and I gutted it and sewed it up like the Paiutes told my dad to do. It was late by then so we stuck it on ice until the next day. Tuesday I came home from school and got a pile of coals to cook it in. Long story short. NEVER cook/eat a rockchuck like that. It was so greasy and gritty and nasty my dog wouldn't even eat it. I'll try to get some pictures up of it whole and cooked.

Just looked and the total for the year at June 7 is 41 chucks. That is if I counted right, it's hard when I only have 10 fingers.

We went out again with a buddy the last 2 days. The rockchucks are starting to go down so the shooting wasn't too hot. Tanner brought his TRICKED out .284 F-Class gun, so the first half of both days we started out shooting at a mile. We came within 2-3 inches multiple times, but never did connect. I only added another 10 to my tally, the farthest being 660. No pictures though
frown.gif

Back