Black Hole Weaponry Accuracy test

Kiz

Folks,

This is an independent review sent to us by a customer that shows the accuracy of our barrels. This was a 18" rifle mid-length medium weight stainless steel barrel in 5.56 with 3 groove poly rifling.

Keep in mind that this was done by an experienced shooter, with custom ammo, match trigger and indoors. This is just a testament to the accuracy our barrels have.

Quote:Hey guys,

I finally got a chance to get out and do some load development with my new build and my Black Hole Weaponry 18” barrel. Barrel is heavy stainless steel, 18” 1-8” twist and has polygonal 3 groove rifling. Barrel was properly broken in with the typical 50 round barrel break in procedure.

I wanted to use some different powders for the testing, but all I had on hand was H335 and H4895. I didn’t use the 4985 as the first load, which was minimum load was so compressed with LC brass, that it put a deep groove on shoulder of the bullet when seating. I heard way to much “crunching” when seating the bullets and it spooked me to much to go any further. I may do some testing with Benchmark, Varget and BLC2 later on, but I really want to stick with H335 as I load several calibers and loads with it. Dirty, but I have found better accuracy with it than any of the above listed calibers.

For bullets I am a Hornady junkie so I used the 68 grain BTHP and the 75 grain BTHP. All of which were coated by myself with moly in the tumbler. I really like the BTHP design for long range shooting. Bucks the wind much better than anything else I have used.

Range setting was a nice 68-70 degrees, 100 yard indoor rifle range. Bi-pod and sand bag only were used. Scope was a 6-18x40mm Nikon Buckmaster with Mildot reticle. I believe the mildot reticle is a must for varmint hunting.

Groups were all measured from outside diameter to outside diameter across from the furthest bullet.

First load was 23.5 grains of H335 and the 68 grain BTHP bullet. Average group but measured .969”
gallery_256_99_11665.jpg

Second load was 23.7 grains of H335 and the 68 grain BTHP. Group was really weird. 3 close shots were the last 3 fired. The 3 close shots grouped .471” and I wont even measure the other two
gallery_256_99_19435.jpg

Third load was 24.0 grains of H335 and the 68 grain BTHP. Third load wasn’t pretty either. 1.754” Barrel didn’t see to like 68/H335 combo very well.
gallery_256_99_2833.jpg

Now on to the 75 grain. Gun seem to really really love them.

First load was 22.0 grains of H335 and the 75 grain BTHP. First load had a cold bore flyer but the group measured .581” Very nice.
gallery_256_99_4610.jpg

Second load was 22.3 grains of H335 and the 75 grain BTHP. Second load had a cold bore flyer as well, but the group measured .519” I like this a lot. Best group of the day shooting and started thinking this barrel was scary accurate.
gallery_256_99_62550.jpg

Third load was 22.5 grains of H335 and the 75 grain BTHP. Third load and a flyer with a group of .944”
gallery_256_99_28891.jpg

Forth load was 22.7 grains of H335 and th3 75 grain BTHP. Forth load had a bad flyer that went low instead of high???? Not sure what was up with that, but the group measured .803”
gallery_256_99_37203.jpg

As you can see the groups started opening up with the higher charge. Seems 22.3 was about as high as you can go with this set up and still get a good group.

Fifth and final group was too spread out to really know what happened. Didn’t like 23.0 grains with the 75 grain BTHP. Group was 1.101”

With barrel break in and test loads my round count is only 90 rounds total. At around 500 I should see better results, but how much better can you ask for really? I shot just a tad bit over ½” group at 100 yards. In an 18” gas gun, that is about what you can expect. I don’t know if many manufactures will guarantee anything better.

Here is the set up I’m running. Black Rain Ordnance upper and lower, 2 stage RRA trigger and LPK, Hogue Free float tube, 18” SPR Black Hole Weaponry barrel and Miculek break.
gallery_256_99_29968.jpg

Carl with Black Hole Weaponry, will build you just about any custom AR-15 barrel want. This barrel ran me $260 dollars and was worth every penny. I have got the same or worse results from more expensive Manufactures, never any better. I have a 20” custom 6.5mm barrel being made now and will be doing an accuracy test and review very soon. Price is what “normal” people on a “normal” budget can afford. Spending less that 400 dollars on a barrel usually means that accuracy wont be as great, but that’s not the case with Carl’s barrels. Trust me, Carl will treat you right and does what be can to make the customer happy.

I hope you enjoyed this review as much as I did. I have finally found my Prairie Dog Killing Machine for next year. I will follow up with this review after I hit the 1K mark and see what accuracy is. I’m sure I wont see much if any decrease and 1k will come fast with 2 hunts already booked.

Enjoy!!

BHW Staff

What exactly is the profile that you're calling "poly rifling"?
Is it a polygonal twist rifling like H-K uses?
Do you have a picture of one that's been bisected, ot a drawing?

Are you using hammer forged barrels?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerWhat exactly is the profile that you're calling "poly rifling"?
Is it a polygonal twist rifling like H-K uses?
Do you have a picture of one that's been bisected, ot a drawing?

Are you using hammer forged barrels?

Thanks.

Yes its the poly rifling like the Glock and H&K. Carl is working on a cutaway or a drawling. As soon as I get one, I will forward it on.

Here is 3 groove v's 5 groove in a nut shell.

We offer both versions on our barrels to give the shooter more options. We have found that poly rifling is much more accurate than the standard Enfield rifling. This arc shaped rifling has long been held in very high regard for its accuracy, increased velocity, reduced gas cutting and ease of cleaning.

5 groove is more budget priced for the shooter and is more of a general form of rifling for shorter barrels to keep costs down. 5 groove is accurate in its self but designed for 16" and under where long range precision shooting wont be happening.

3 groove is more of a match style of rifling for SPR and precision weapons. 18" and higher where accuracy is a must. 3 groove takes more time in producing, thus upping the price 20 dollars.

5 groove is still being offered due to the requests we get for it. If I had my choice, I would go with a 3 groove as I am a match shooter and all but 2 of my AR's are set up for 800 yard plus shooting.

BHW Staff

What MOA do you expect out of your barrels? My MOA expectations are a little lower than the results showed, but people use their rifles for different purposes.

Originally Posted By: wyomanCut or button rifled barrel or hammer forged?

Button rifled and not Hammer Forged.

Thanks
BHW Staff

Originally Posted By: Recko555What MOA do you expect out of your barrels? My MOA expectations are a little lower than the results showed, but people use their rifles for different purposes.

That my friend is the hardest question to answer.....

Accuracy is very hard to define. I can't offer a guaranteed MOA on the barrels, due to several reasons. If I take one of our match barrels, sell it to a customer and tell him he is guaranteed 1 MOA out of the barrel, he is going to expect it. Now if he uses Wolf plinking FMJ ammo, a combat heavy gritty trigger, cheap or no bi-pod and no rear support and is a below average shooter, he is not going to shoot 1 MOA at all.

Now, you take one of our barrels, with a proper rest or bi-pod, light match trigger, custom tailored ammo to that specific barrel and couple that in with him or her being a seasoned match experienced shooter, sure he is going to get much better accuracy.

My personal expectations of a barrel for me, better shoot 3/4 MOA or better, or I get rid of it. That is of course if the barrel is being used for precision shooting say like on my personal Pdog set up where I printed right under 1/2 MOA. Now if I had a 16" set up with a short range optic, my personal expectations jump up some.

It all depends on you the shooter and what your expectations are. If you are looking for a one group barrel, you need to factor in everything that you can. Ammo, temp, wind, shooter, what you are using the barrel for, length etc etc etc.

Thanks
BHW Staff

Back