what is a good varmint pistol?

crowpopper

I just got my ccw permit application turned in and she said a month and a 1/2 o so and ill have it
so i want a varmint pistol
not a contender or single shot
i have plans on getting one of those eventually
so i really like revolvers
are there any varmint calibers in the revolver platform?
if not whats a good one for say out to 75 yards on a yote
will a long bbl 357 do the trick?
any input is apperciated thanks guys
ps i put a deposit on a ruger single six in .22 lr and a S&W 44mag with 8 inch bbl
but i am still wanting a varmint round if possible

Originally Posted By: GCThe .357 Magnum revolver with 125 gr. hollowpoints is tailor made for coyotes!

I believe he's asking about a varmint caliber, not a predator one.

thanks guys i am actually looking for one
for shooting

crow,fox,coon,chucks,etc
but the occasional yote too
for preds i figure a yout will drop nicely with a 357 with the right loads

I may get laughed on this one, thinking a little outside the box here, but how about a 5.7 x 28. 40 gr V-max (.224) going 1950 fps from the muzzle, if my calculations are correct using hornady's ballistic calulator, 50 yd zero gives a .5 in drop at 75 yds and still moving at about 1600 fps. These are rough calculations doing a quick web search, I am sure there are people with a lot more knowledge about this round than me. Just throwing this out there as another option.
The pistol would be a little bigger than a 6 in 357 revolver, I think.
blush.gif

I'm asuming you'll get your single six with the 22 mag cylinder also. If 22 lr and 22 mag won't handle it, 44 mag certainly will. look for the lightest bullet weight you can get in the 44 as well as the heaviest and there is nothing in the state of NY that you can't handle. Just to stir the pot a little, neither of those guns sound like great CCW choices. great guns, just a little heavy for an inside the waistband holster
tt2.gif

well they are not exactly ccw guns
but in my county the application states
concealed carry
or work use
under concealed carry it states
hunting fishing hiking etc.
thats why i am getting it
i dont plan to carry it anywheres unless im hunting or fishin
and in my home i have a shot bbled 12 ga with buck shot for protection

the single six doesnot have a 22mag cyl
ill pick one up after the guns are paid in full

I think Magnum research still makes a revolver in hornet, but im certain they are very expensive.

a used raging hornet would be cool.

otherwise a single six in 32 mag, very cool round.
I have an sp101 with the 4" barrel very cool.

a 357 mag would work very well, a bit much if you are saving fur on the small stuff, but then again maybe not.
havent shot a coon/fox with any of mine.

Good luck.

I read some where that Taurus is coming out with a 5mm Tracker. A few years a go I almost bout a Tracker in a 218 bee.Thought it would be cool at the time.

A ruger with a 6" or 4" barrel in 327 federal would be very good. I also beleive that a 5.7x28 in the FN five-seven is ideal. If not those then go with some type of 22 lr that feels comfortable. Thats just a few options.

Carry the sidearm outside the clothing in a holster and typically in most states CCW laws do not apply as it is not concealed i.e public carry is not typically constrained unless by some city/village ordnances.

Last edited:
If I was rich, I would have a 5.7 rifle and pistol for hunting. Unfortunately I can only afford those on COunterstirke. I think that the new PMR30 would make the second most perfect varmint pistol. After that an AR pistol.

Back