Rem 700 sps Varmint .243

Vent_O_Later

Ok fellas,

What's your take on this piece of machinery?

-Accuracy?

-How's the X-Mark trigger treating you?

-Flimsy stock?

-The twist 1-9 and 1/8,.......

Just lookin for some info.

I have one in a 223rem. and it is very accurate. 25.5grs. of Benchmark powder behind a Nolser 50gr. bt. Produces 0.20" group at 100yds. Only thing I done so far is change the weight of pull spring and adjusted down to 2Ibs. trigger pull. Trigger breaks like glass. Rifle is accurate with the factory stock. Later down the road I will change it out for a Bell&Carlson Medalist full aluminuim bedded stock and skim bed it. Last Saturday was driving golf balls in the 200yd. burm at the range at our women and youth shoot. As far as the 243win. there was a guy on another for that had the Remington SPS Varmint in 243win. That was shooting really good groups at 500yds. I know my 700 SPS Varminter is a keeper.

Last edited:
I have one in .204 and it is very accurate. Stock is rigid but cheep. Mine has the old style X-mark pro trigger and it is very good for a factory trigger. Right now mine is at the gunsmith to cut down the barrel to 22" in order to make it easier to handle for calling in coyotes.

I have one in .243 topped with a Millet TRS 4-16x50. I get great accuracy using Varget and 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I was thinking of a new B&C stock but after consistently hitting a 12x6" piece of steel at 350 yards last weekend I may just keep it the way it is.

I think that the stock has a lot to be desired. I have a .308 that was the worse shooting gun I ever seen. It would shoot 3-4 inch groups at 50 yds. I tried a custom stock that a friend had lying around. The .308 then shot .75 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I orederd my Bell and Carleson stock, and it still shot that group.

A freind wanted to put my original stock on his .223 Rem.
His did the same thin 3-4 inch groups at 50 yds. The original stock SUCKED, but the rest of the gun is top notch. I LOVE the X-mark trigger. Mine came at 3.10 lbs from Remington. It is very crisp and breaks very nice.

Last edited:
i have an sps varmint but put it in a lvsf stock the trigger on mine was 8 lbs but my gunsmith was able to get it down to 1.5 lbs. everything functions great not really crazy about the finish on it but it works.

Originally Posted By: kdad73no they are not free floated. They have the pressure pads at the end of the stock.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and indeed the bbl is free floated. Checked it with the dollar bill trick before I bought it. I had a local reputable GS bed the action and he too confirmed the unit was free floated.

Not arguing your point just confused that one rifle would be FF and not another of the same model.

Can you please elaborate?

Quote:Not arguing your point just confused that one rifle would be FF and not another of the same model.

That may explain why his wouldn't group.
crazy.gif

My 700 SPS isn't a Varmint, it's a SPS stainless sporter in .22-250, but it shoots great. It has the original style X-mark trigger that I adjusted to a clean breaking 3 lb pull. That's the only change I've made to the rifle and it puts my reloads into .5 to .75 MOA groups about every time I check my zero on paper. The stock it cheap, but it doesn't seem to bother things any.

Originally Posted By: HereticOriginally Posted By: kdad73no they are not free floated. They have the pressure pads at the end of the stock.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and indeed the bbl is free floated. Checked it with the dollar bill trick before I bought it. I had a local reputable GS bed the action and he too confirmed the unit was free floated.

Not arguing your point just confused that one rifle would be FF and not another of the same model.

Can you please elaborate?

I have one in 204 and the stock has 2 presure pads at the front of the stock that contact the barrel I would not call that free floating I also have a VSSFII in 22-250 and it comes with the H S precision stock and nothing on the stock comes in contact with the barrel I would call that free floating. Was yours used when you bought it I ask because some one could have cut out the pressure pads.

For pennies on the dollar, I've bought several "terrible shooters" that had pressure points at the front of the stock. I've always figured if I got them for a good price that the action was salvageable if nothing else.

Playing a little bit with the torque on the action screws - especially the front one - has turned just about all of them into shooters...

Generally a rifle will shoot extremely well if the barrel is free floated. Those that aren't floated generally just need some pressure tuning to function well if the barrel is decent to start with.

If the barrel is bad, there is only one solution...

JMO - BCB

Thanks fellas

I was just lookin to see if I was the only one who boughy a lemon.

-NO, the barrel is NOT free floated......It looks like it is, but it does have those pressure points that Kdad73 explained......but this can fixed easy.

Truth is guys, I allready have one and was just seeing what the "census" was on this rifle.

Check it out, here's what I've done to this rifle

1st bedding, Ya the stock is a cheap flimsy piece of -----, but it can be bedded.

guns104.jpg

guns106.jpg

Notice how much material I took out of the barrel channel to really free-float the barrel, wich included taking out those pressure pads

guns107.jpg

And YES they are accurate. this is a 5 shot group at 100yds with 107smk's @ just under 3000fps with H4350.....I think the 1-9and 1/8 twist will do just fine...

guns100.jpg

But thanks for all the info.......

So,,,, It was a trick question.

Looks like you have a real shooter there.
And good job on the stock. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of the 700's so I like seeing these kinds of posts.
Thanks

I had 2 17 fireballs in sps's this past winter both where duds that had to be returned to the factory. #1 Back of bolt cradle was not machined far enough back so it was locking there not on the lugs. #2 got it home flipped open the floor plate to clean spring broke carrier fell to the ground I get it fixed and every new brass I shoot out of it is coming out ruined. I got it bore scoped the chamber was extremely rough and rusted keep in mind this is a band new gun so it had to be sent back as well. Needless to say I am fed up with Rem. quality control atm and will not buy another till it comes back to where it used to be. I still own several old Remmies and love them all but I will be holding off getting another one for until things improve.

Originally Posted By: ManitobamonsterI had 2 17 fireballs in sps's this past winter both where duds that had to be returned to the factory. #1 Back of bolt cradle was not machined far enough back so it was locking there not on the lugs. #2 got it home flipped open the floor plate to clean spring broke carrier fell to the ground I get it fixed and every new brass I shoot out of it is coming out ruined. I got it bore scoped the chamber was extremely rough and rusted keep in mind this is a band new gun so it had to be sent back as well. Needless to say I am fed up with Rem. quality control atm and will not buy another till it comes back to where it used to be. I still own several old Remmies and love them all but I will be holding off getting another one for until things improve.

Sorry to here about your bad luck.

I just aquired this one, has less than 100 rounds down the pipe...... if your waiting for things to improve......hey, look at my previous post....

I've read all kinds of bad reviews on probably every rifle I own, but I might just be luckiest guy I know for buying one of the "good" ones, or...........I've got to the point where I know how to shoot a rifle..........

-Vent-

Originally Posted By: Vent_O_LaterI just aquired this one, has less than 100 rounds down the pipe...... if your waiting for things to improve......hey, look at my previous post....

I've read all kinds of bad reviews on probably every rifle I own, but I might just be luckiest guy I know for buying one of the "good" ones, or...........I've got to the point where I know how to shoot a rifle..........

-Vent-

You are my hero.

Back