Is this Copper???

mikeinlouisiana

I had bought this rifle a while back of of the internet. I cleaned the barrel real good (I thought)I use butches bore shine and sweets 7.62, got a lot of blue patches out until it stopped, scrub good with bore brushes (nylon and bronze). This still remains.

What da heck is it?
confused.gif

I ordered a chamber plug and Kroil. Going to let it soak for a week (lol)I also order Montana Copper killer.

IMG_2327.jpg

Last edited:
Obvious question,,,, Did you thoroughly clean your rod and any other items good before running your last patches through the barrel?....sometimes the residue on the rod and jag will give you a false indication that copper is still present...

If so, then I would soak your brush in Hoppes #9 and give the barrel about 10 strokes each way and then patch it out...Hopefully by the 5th or 6th patch, you should start seeing fairly clean patches....Hoppes also makes a Copper Remover that has worked pretty well for me in the past...

Yeah, it's copper, but (if I'm seeing the pics right), it's in the grooves, not the lands. That probably means your brushes aren't getting to the bottom of the grooves to do any "scrubbing". Fill it with Wipeout foam and ditch the bronze brush.
Wipeout will get that out in one or 2 soak cycles, I'm pretty sure.

I have had fantastic results with Wipe-Out foam. Other foam cleaners might work just as good. Saved me a barrel replacement. It was just badly fouled, not shot out.
Frank

I have watched the Hollands video on cleaning. He suggests using two patches of alcohol and follow it up with CR-10. Use a bronze brush and wet good and run it 10 times, and get agressive, re-wet and continue this three sets of ten. He states that you really have to work to get the copper out. I use this on factory barrels that foul bad, but I would never use this on a custom barrel. For them I would stick to wet/dry patches only. Brent

Quote:What da heck is it?

It is copper and Wipeout will get it. Pretty heavy coating, so may take several applications.

Regards,
hm

I use Sweets and never leave it in the bore more than 20 minutes before cleaning it out. I then use JB Bore paste to scrub the bore well, then clean the barrel till it's dry, and I look to see if any copper remains. If so, I go through the same procees again, until it is copper free.

You can get janitorial strength ammonium hydroxide from ACE hardware stores. It will take the copper right out, by running a couple of patches through it, but don't let it touch the polyurethane coat of your wooden stocks.

It's copper but I think it's fouled so badly that either someone shot thousands of rounds through the barrel without removing the copper or the barrel fouls horribly due to a bad button when rifling the barrel or some cutting tool "chattering" leaving a rough surface that "scrapes" jacket material off the bullets.

You might find when you get to the bottom of all that copper that the barrel quickly fouls again but that doesn't always affect accuracy negatively.

It's not too common to see that much copper close to the muzzle. One more possibility is that the rifle was carried with the muzzle touching the floor of a pickup truck and the barrel wasn't cleaned before shooting. The sand and other grits that accumulate at the end of a barrel carried that way will quickly erode a bore.

If that happens very much you'll often find that these barrels don't shoot well AND they foul badly at the muzzle.

If that's the case cut a couple inches off the barrel and recrown and often they shoot well again.

$bob$

I have a lot of stuff on my shelf-Break Free, Montana stuff, Butches, Bore Scrubber, Hoppe's and solvents that I have probably forgot about. I would have to go over there and look. I bought a CZ 527 American a couple of years ago and now have about 1000 rounds through it. As an experiment I started using Wipe Out products on this gun exclusively. A bronze brush hasn't ever been used on this barrel-only patches and sometimes a nylon brush. So far this regimen has been working and the accuracy has been holding up. I'm not ready to give an endorsement but so far I like this stuff a lot better than ammonia based products. This gun does get cleaned every time I come back from the range-at most 60 rounds between cleanings. Dave

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerYeah, it's copper, but (if I'm seeing the pics right), it's in the grooves, not the lands. That probably means your brushes aren't getting to the bottom of the grooves to do any "scrubbing". Fill it with Wipeout foam and ditch the bronze brush.
Wipeout will get that out in one or 2 soak cycles, I'm pretty sure.

Evil Lurker has hit the nail right on the head. Try the foaming bore cleaner.

The foaming bore cleaners are great. I use wipeout as well sometimes. sweets 7.62 with a nylon brush works as well. Only use the foaming cleaners on bolt action rifles. Dont use it in a semi auto. I did that once with a BAR it got all the cooper out. but i had foam coming out of every orifice that rifle had for cycling. what a mess it was.

Quote:Dont use it in a semi auto.

Works fine in my AR. I just spray the gas tube out with brake cleaner before I patch the bore.
My H-K doesn't have a gas system, so it's just like a bolt gun, patch and go.

A BAR, not so good.
crazy.gif

yep thats copper. I recently started using hoppes #9 Benchrest Copper Solvent.It takes longer than Barnes CR10 but the Hoppes is more mild and safe to leave in the barrel overnight.I have not tried the foaming bore scrubbers but with all the good reviews I need to give it a try. sounds like it would be messy though (foaming bore scrubber stuff)btw I always use a good flashlight and check the muzzle end like your picture shows to see if Im done yet. be darn nice to have one a them borescopes!

Back