Blue and I decoy our first.

gonzmg

I got home from work on Thursday I thought I better knock the edge off Blue so I took him out and roaded him Thursday and Friday. So I decided that saturday morning we would go out hunting. We got up early and got out hunting right at day break. After two dry stands the wind was starting to pick up and it was getting hot, so I figured this was going to be my last stand of the day. We had already walked somewhere around 5 miles packing all my gear. I sat down under a cedar tree over looking a pretty nice flat. I started playing the coyote pup in distress. Blue was down below me chewing sticks peeing on rocks just being a dog when he threw that big old head up in the air and started sniffing, when he goes to sniffing you can hear him he has a big old horn and knows how to use it. Then all the sudden he hackels up and he is off building to something, I'm watching this all unwind right in front of me and boy is it cool. I have never seen this before so I am getting pretty excited I am shacking and getting more and more excited. Blue builds to this coyote and I tone him back and here he comes at a pretty good clip back he makes a wide quarter circle. At this point this coyote barking and is pretty pissed I have been hunting coyotes for several years and I have never seen or heard anything like this. So back to Blue he comes running right passed me on my right side just like Duane said he would do. The coyote is probably 60 yards from me I set the cross hairs on his chest squeeze the trigger and miss. I ki ya and stop and miss again blue is back down there trying his butt off to try to get this coyote back. Blue makes a big wide quarter circle ad come back I watched this old coyote run for a mile or two. When it is all finally done I love on Blue and tell him he is a good dog and walk back to the truck. I am pretty disappointed in myself for missing the shot but Blue worked flawlessly. In my defense I was so rattled that there was no way I could of shot straight and the wind was blowing. ha ha
Mike

Great story. The same thing happened to me when I got back from Duanes with Zipper. It is great just to see the dogs work.

Mike, great story. But the shooting, I am not so sure.....just kidding. It is hard to focus when them coyotes are running in hard on you and I am sure you had part of your mind on where Blue was too. It seems like Blue is more than a started dog, he has it down already. I tried to road Tug when I took him out but he just wanted to roll around in cow poop. Take the camera with you Mike, we like pictures.

Not sure I could have shot a picture at the time I was pretty excited at the time. I am going to start carring a camera. We are becoming a pretty good team. To me he is way past started. Thank you guys for all the great comments.
Mike

Hahahahahahah! I don't know what else to say.
Don't feel bad mike, your not the first guy to "freak", when a dog brings a yote in. Just think how "excited" you would have been had that yote been at 15 feet doing the same thing.
Maybe Prk, will post what happened when he and I were hunting Blue and Spotlight,early this spring.
Things can get pretty western this time of year with a good decoy dog.
Glad your liking the dog. Duane

Man that sounds like a great time. I really want to find out if we can use decoy dogs in Washington. The regs say no dogs but I'm thinkin that might be for people tryin to run em anyone know for sure??

i wasn't going to comment but since duane brought it up here it is

we set up, 2 min into the call 2 yotes are running hard for the the dogs, i think it was blue, anyway they brought em in to spitn range i get excited, (first time for me with dogs) i shoot over the coyote he runs like heck blue is after him again brings him back to 100 yd i shoot again miss, dog runs out gets the coyote one more time i aim good and steady squeeze off the trigger and click, no ammo, we set there for several more minutes while the dogs worked these yotes finally they ran em out of the county, duane has some real good dogs as far as i can tell, i'm no expert at this point but man i love those dogs and what a rush,

prkgrp I know how you feel it is quite a rush just to see the dogs work. I will be heading back out tomorrow to try it again. I sure hope i can it done. Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted By: gonzmgprkgrp I know how you feel it is quite a rush just to see the dogs work. I will be heading back out tomorrow to try it again. I sure hope i can it done. Thanks,
Mike
blue is a great dog he did his job last spring , i couldn't get it straight, next time look out,

Mike, like someone said( I don't remember who) you don't have to worry about any BS stories from your friends about why they can't go hunting, because your dog is always ready to go with you. That is what I am looking forward to doing. THere have been so many days that I just wake up at 4 in the morning and just want to go, I now my buddy is gonna be right there with me.

Great story Mike. Sounds like blue is really paying off and you two have been having quite a ball. I'm sure you'll connect real soon.

Back