Branding dogs, yes or no

After having a good dog stolen, I started branding all my hunting dogs.I brand pups at 6 months, and if I buy an older dog I will put my "iron" on them regardless of what "iron" they came with.
I have two dogs with "short cropped ear, two half circle freeze brand on the other, and a "half circle F" on a left rib." Jason, I know you know the first ear mark, and brand.
The Half circle F is mine.
grin.gif
Duane

Originally Posted By: YotecallrGermany has been tatooing dogs ears for years.

Actually most are inside the lip. Ears can be cut off easier than lips

I agree with branding dogs. When everyone can see that big white brand on thier hip, just keeps everyone honest. Even though niether one of my pups are branded, they will be soon. I also agree with microchipping, but seems like it would only help if your dog got picked up by animal control, not stolen. IMHO

Microchips may be state of the art, but a brand can be seen by all and a theft deterrent in itself. At the very least, if a branded dog gets stolen the sorry SOB gets a reminder every time he looks at the dog that the dog isn't his. Obaro

We have always tattooed our dogs on the ear with our initials and litter number. It actually help my buddy win a court case in which he had a dog stolen and the only proof he had was the tattoo in the dogs ear

We have always tattooed our dogs on the ear with our initials and litter number. It actually help my buddy win a court case in which he had a dog stolen and the only proof he had was the tattoo in the dogs ear

What is the best location for a feeze brand on a dog?

Will a horse size freeze iron work well on shoulder of a medium size cur?

Tattoing, ear notching and branding are great theft deterrents/ dog identification. Im picky about what wears my name but ear notches and tattoos are great for pup ID.

same as some of the guys above, i like it just cause i think it will make someone think before they steal one with a brand on him, we use to tatto in the ear but you have to find him to look for the tatto, the brand is out there for everyone to see

Never thought about branding may have to think about this option. During season we dye our initials on the shoulders of our hounds. Pretty easy to do on the lemon and whites the tri colors can be a little tricky

We brand our dogs for one reason...to keep the honest people honest.

I have a friend that uses the double horseshoe brand on the left ear "the one Duane is talking about" Anywho, he keeps 30ish hounds on a farm. The only one stolen, back in the day, was a friends bluetick that was branded on the hip in the ticks. Couldn't even see it unless you knew what to look for.

We brand ears, thats what works for us. We also mark our dogs in other spots.

I would just suggest putting a brand in a visible place that stands out....Wherever that spot is for you.

I would be interested in tattooing pups to keep litters straight and date of birth. I think it would keep alot of b.s. straight. Just never been around it.

Thanks for the comments, keep them commin.

I use a 3in iron, and stick it on the left rib on most dogs, I do have a Walker, she is branded on a left front shouler, in a black patch.
I agree with the teory that an "iron" is plain to see, it might make guys think twice before stealing a dog.
I brand the rib, cause it's hard to "cut out".
You can see the brand pretty good in this pic.
Waynesbadger.jpg

Last edited:
i've got one i'd like to brand. do you do anything different when freeze branding a dog than say a horse?

we freeze brand dark colored horses once we've decided they're keepers, hot iron on antyhing that a freeze brand wont show on

Back