Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1610117 - 06/01/10 07:04 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: trapper2]
shanedogg Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: arizona
interesting... never knew this went on in the dog running world....

#1610144 - 06/01/10 07:54 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: shanedogg]
jlutcher51 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Nottoway, VA
Never thought about branding may have to think about this option. During season we dye our initials on the shoulders of our hounds. Pretty easy to do on the lemon and whites the tri colors can be a little tricky

#1610170 - 06/01/10 08:46 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: jlutcher51]
poser Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Spring City, Utah
We brand our dogs for one reason...to keep the honest people honest.

I have a friend that uses the double horseshoe brand on the left ear "the one Duane is talking about" Anywho, he keeps 30ish hounds on a farm. The only one stolen, back in the day, was a friends bluetick that was branded on the hip in the ticks. Couldn't even see it unless you knew what to look for.

We brand ears, thats what works for us. We also mark our dogs in other spots.

I would just suggest putting a brand in a visible place that stands out....Wherever that spot is for you.

I would be interested in tattooing pups to keep litters straight and date of birth. I think it would keep alot of b.s. straight. Just never been around it.

Thanks for the comments, keep them commin.

Best of wishes.....
Jason Sorensen

#1610255 - 06/01/10 10:25 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: poser]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I use a 3in iron, and stick it on the left rib on most dogs, I do have a Walker, she is branded on a left front shouler, in a black patch.
I agree with the teory that an "iron" is plain to see, it might make guys think twice before stealing a dog.
I brand the rib, cause it's hard to "cut out".
You can see the brand pretty good in this pic.

Edited by Duane@ssu (06/01/10 10:28 PM)

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1610268 - 06/01/10 10:42 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: Duane@ssu]
cowpastureplinker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: N.E. OK
i've got one i'd like to brand. do you do anything different when freeze branding a dog than say a horse?

we freeze brand dark colored horses once we've decided they're keepers, hot iron on antyhing that a freeze brand wont show on

#1610273 - 06/01/10 10:51 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: cowpastureplinker]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Time is the only thing thats diff, some dogs are thick skinned and we go alittle longer, thin skin dogs, alittle less. Times I can't tell ya, cause I'm still trying diff times on diff dogs.
You can hold a freeze brand alittle long, and "burn it". The brand will be just like a hot iron.Works good on white dogs or horses.

#1614034 - 06/08/10 06:16 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: obaro]
lepcur Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Ca.
I freeze brand all my dogs once they prove themselves, I do their ears cause when someone aproaches the dog they lift their ears towards them and the person can see the brands, I hope you're not talking about hot brands. Mike

#1614275 - 06/09/10 12:45 AM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: lepcur]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Lepcur, I'm pretty sure we are talkin about freeze brands, at least thats what I thought.

#1614837 - 06/09/10 09:58 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: cowpastureplinker]
Bar M Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: hamilton tx
what about an all white dogo will they show up i been taking a tattoo gun i found at work (prison) and tattooin my name and number on the iside of there back leg

#1614930 - 06/10/10 12:35 AM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: Bar M]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Bar M, you can freeze brand, and hold long, 30 seconds or so, it will "scald" the hide, and heal bald, like a hot iron.Very visible on a white dog.
Tatoo's are great, just can't be seen at a distance.

#1616949 - 06/13/10 04:06 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: cowpastureplinker]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ

I am thinking that a Freeze Brand and a Micro Chip are in order. Don't know much about either on Dogs.

The Iron above is 3 1/2" tall and 3" wide.

We have that Iron registered in Wyoming on the right shoulder for horses. We shave the hair off as tight as we can get it, wipe with 99% alcohol just before taking the iron out of the liquid nitrogen and applying to the hide. As Duane said the longer you hold the iron the more effect you have on the hair. To kill the pigment and turn the hair white on a horse we hold 20-25 seconds. To completely kill the hair follicles and leave a bald spot on a horse we hold 35-45 seconds. We try to use a stop watch for best results.

Even though the outfit is called Double CK for Craig, Karen, Cameron and Kali, we try to leave a SINGLE CK brand. Sometimes it gets a bit western with a horse. It is really hard to reapply if you miss your time count with out ending up with a DOUBLE CK image (pun intended).

Annie's brand below was on a little long for our taste. You can see that some follicles are killed with some left white. If we are forced to brand on white we hold longer as per above.

Anyone ever tried a freeze brand on a dog's shoulder?

Anyone have any advice on how long to hold on a dog to kill hair pigment?

Any thoughts on what info can/should be put on a microchip?

If you hear of anyone looking for a good paint horse.....

#1616951 - 06/13/10 04:25 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: DoubleCK]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: north central okla
i brand mine on the left shoulder, i try for 10 sec. for a white brand, for a burned brand i just leave it for about 30, mine never turn out like i would like them, sometimes it burns some, sometimes its not enough, but i dont care what the brand looks like so much as i want it on there, my dogs arent show dogs. moses didnt get all white and cleos burned more then i wanted but its on both of them

#1616954 - 06/13/10 04:28 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: trapper2]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
Ryan & Duane, do you shave em tight and use the 99% pure alcohol? The old timer who I learned from on livestock was really cranky about the 99% pure alcohol.

I might have to practice up on some of the neighbors dogs. If I get away with that maybe I should try it on some calves. LOL

#1616962 - 06/13/10 04:44 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: DoubleCK]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: north central okla
same as a horse, shave and clean good with alcohol, yea they say to use 99 but i have done it with the other

#1617075 - 06/13/10 07:53 PM Re: Branding dogs, yes or no [Re: trapper2]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
You will have to experiment with the brand you have. Some are thicker, which will hold the cold longer and you will not have to leave it on as long. I shave and use alcohol,seems to make a cleaner brand.
I don't Micro chip. They have so many readers, and one where your dog is found may not read your chip. But they are getting better.
Brands are the best way to detour theives.Tatoos and chips are hiden and theives will not see them, they may help with recovery but a brand and a name tag does just as good.IMO

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.