Called a cougar to within 30 yards, but didn't have a tag!

Okanagan

We called a cougar this week and watched it for 11 minutes inside of 30 yards.

On an evening patrol after a bear for a young hunting partner, he saw a cougar. We tried to call it soon after with a hand call. The call is a prototype closed reed prey distress designed and made by Rainshadow that he let me try out. It has a lower, raspy jackrabbit tone.

We set up on a brush choked old logging road, a lane between walls of alder saplings. We had the advantage of being pretty sure the cat was on the downhill side of the road so we could concentrate there. Within 1 ½ to two minutes, the cougar showed up on the edge of the road and started watching us from partial hiding behind a light screen of leaves.

The lion was hard to see with naked eye even though it was closer than 30 yards, but with binoculars we could easily see the front half of the cat. His face and eyes and white chin are engraved in my memory. Part of his face plus some of his neck and all of his shoulder were wide open and easy for a scoped rifle. When he changed position and edged closer, he showed the front of his chest free and clear for a shot.

After two or three minutes we started timing and the cat stayed another nine minutes. I would call softly every minute or two to hold his interest. Once I switched to a few seconds of frenetic fast sound and the cat crouched down and edged a foot closer, his chin just above the big paws with his eyes intent. After awhile he stood again, and he kept looking across the road, telegraphing that he was going to cross. Sure enough, he walked across in the open and into the brush on the uphill side.

My hunting partner and I both took pictures but it was too dim in the sundown canyon for the little digital cameras we had to pick up enough light when zoomed in. We first saw the lion about 8:55 PM. The lion is circled below but it is a virtually worth less picture.

P5030093II-1-1.jpg

I thought that all cougar seasons were closed and so had not bought a 2010 license nor tag when the new license year recently started. My companion had a scoped rifle in hand but had not bought a cougar tag since he didn’t think the season was open either. We’d read the regs wrong. A half hour later at our camp, a friend who lives in the area pointed out in the regs that cougar is still open in that area.

Call it a cosmic joke to have such an easy shot with no tag. I felt like grinning and crying.
unsure.gif
It was a fun treat to see him and we picked up a bit more about lion traits.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now you know you can call them in.
thumbup1.gif

Pretty exciting, I'll bet. I hunt that kind of stuff all the time and never even see a track, so you're one up on me (well, I have a tag, so maybe not).
grin.gif

Good stuff!

It always happens that way. My area has cats in it. My state has no closed season. With those two things working in my favor, I will most likely never see one.......

Okanagan has called in over a dozen.

His son, a friend of mine, has shot two of them.

Another great story and encounter, with a little zinger at the end (not buying the tags!) Way to capitalize on a calling opportunity. (Not so much the shooting opportunity, but oh well, it happens all the time, right?!?!?!?!)

Originally Posted By: rainshadow1 Way to capitalize on a calling opportunity. (Not so much the shooting opportunity, but oh well, it happens all the time, right?!?!?!?!)

Are you implying that my calling is better than my ability to read hunting regs?
shocked.gif
I guess that was true last week anyway! In this company, I'll take it as a compliment that I call better than I read!
laugh.gif

FWIW the same call had pulled a black bear closer only three hours before we called the cougar with it. I'd forgotten about it in the buzz over the cougar. The bear was close and my partner had already decided to pass on it. He wanted to see how it would react to a call so he blew his name brand call and the bear jerked its head up and ran away for a few steps, then stopped to look back. He didn't blow the call any more and the bear settled into feeding again.

We let a minute or two pass and I tried the Rainshadow prototype call. The bear swung its head toward the sound and started our way immediately. It moved toward us less than 10 yards and sat up with its nose as high as it could reach, sniffing toward us. It approached from 40 yards to near 30. Photos of the bear below.

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

Actually, your call probably had nothing to do with either the bear or the cougar. They probably came to my sweet lips on the call and the dulcet melody they played!
tongue.gif

Back