Savage .204 for coyotes?

Mallards Only

Hey guys,
Newbie coyote hunter here. Just purchased a property with a real dog problem and looking to get set up to remove as many as I can. Went and looked at rifles and decided on a Savage .204. Now, I'm wondering if it's got enough firepower. What do you think? Also, any recommendations on scopes and other accessories?

Last edited:
First of all I would love to own property with dog problems. That would certainly full fill some of my entertainment needs! I also love the 204. For a scope any decent 3-9 variable would work and I have to emphasize the word "decent". Keep the combo light. If you reload then 35 Bergers work nicely. I don't shoot factory ammo so can't offer any recommendations there. Have fun and don't shoot them all. Let them reproduce so you can do it again next year. Dave

I know Les Johnson uses 32 grain V-maxes in his .204 but unless you have a lot of experience and can also shoot like him, I'd not recommend them. As DDJ said, 35 gr Bergers are best if you handload. Use the 40 gr V-max if your rifle will shoot them. (Savage .204's are 12 twist which is marginal stabilizing a 40 gr bullet.) Otherwise just try to avoid quartering-on shoulder shots. The fast 32 may splash.

Mallards, I've been using a Savage 116 'Weather Warrior' .204 for several years with a 2.8-10x older Simmons Aetek scope and it works well....I seldom ever take it off the lowest setting...I tried a Leupold Rifleman 2-9x but it didn't give the field of view that the Simmons does..

I started out using 40gr Hornady V-Max factory loads and my barrel didn't like the lighter bullet weights....but the rifle would out shoot some of my friends rifles, with them shooting it..For some reason, it did not like the 40gr Bergers that were being produced by HSM..

I now load with 35gr Berger bullets, and am very happy with them...

If you have never shot a coyote before, concentrate on their kill zone, which is a little more forward that many think...Mentally draw a line down the neck and up the front leg and the intersecting spot will take you right into the vitals...

CoyoteVitalSpotc.jpg

I think many of us are envious of anyone with a "dog problem" piece of property..
thumbup1.gif

The term splash is usually referred to when shooting a Coyote sized ammo with a Varmint bullet while the Coyote is at an angle to the shot. The frangible round at high velicity sometimes opens upon hitting the skin making a large wound, but without serious penetration. I have had very few of these happen, But I normally use the 40 Gr Vmax. Like the guys say the Berger may be a good choice for Bullets.

The Berger's sound like a strong choice but I don't reload. So, what market round would be my best bet with a 12 twist--the 32 or 40g V-Max or the 45g SP?

I shoot 40 grain Remington ulatra max's in my .204 and it loves them. But then again, it shoots pretty much all the ammo pretty well. 32 gr. up to 40 gr.

Placement is everything. Find what your gun likes and go with it. THere is more than enough umph to do the job.

C

Placement is important, less so with the larger rounds. Lately I've come to just take a 243. I don't think pelt damage is that much different, usually a 'big game' bullet. When hunting a coyote usually doesn't hang around until it offers the perfect pose for a shot. The 243 does the job from any angle. We had some daytime coyotes hanging around late last Summer. After I popped one the rest wised up. I don't think yours will hang around like P-dogs once the shooting starts. It's a fun way to get em in line though.

Just hunt with it, it will kill just fine. Somebody is always gonna think something is wrong with what others are doing or their bullet, powder, etc. The people that shoot a 17 Remington swear by them. Some people say a 60 grain 223 is best, others 243's. Moral of the story just go kill with it...

People put too much stock in the opinions of complete strangers on the internet...

Last edited:
Is the property located in the Kalifornia "lead free" zone?????

This will significantly reduce your bullet choices...

Originally Posted By: Mallards Only Went and looked at rifles and decided on a Savage .204. Now, I'm wondering if it's got enough firepower. What do you think? Also, any recommendations on scopes and other accessories?
Mallards Only,
Welcome to Predator Masters!
thumbup.gif

Are you asking about "enough firepower" for killing power (larger caliber) or repeat fire (semi-auto action)?
confused.gif

Semi-autos are great for follow up shots...especially on multiple targets.
As far as killing power, there are 2 variables:
1. A larger caliber will allow for kills and/or follow up shots, with marginal shot placement. (example: 17 Remington vs. .25-06) Note: I'm not encouraging poor shot placement.
2. Smaller calibers require better shot placement, than with larger calibers...or you're gonna have some "runners".
tongue.gif

Don't get too carried away with the scope power. Most coyotes are taken within 100 yards and if you need to take a longer shot, there's usually enough time to turn the scope power up and still take the shot.
smile.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Originally Posted By: Mallards OnlyOriginally Posted By: philipIs the property located in the Kalifornia "lead free" zone?????

This will significantly reduce your bullet choices...
No.

You lucky devil.........

I have 450 acres in the "lead free zone" that is basically useless for varmint hunting now.....

Bowhunter,
My concern was in regards to "killing power." After looking at the limited options in ammunition and bullet choices, I was concerned that maybe the options didn't really have enough ballistic energy to kill a coyote. I know with precise shot placement, you can kill with just about anything. But, I'd like to be ethical if my shots are less than precise too.

Mallards Only,
Reloading makes a huge difference in accuracy, killing power options due to bullet selection and it's always on hand.
thumbup1.gif

Just from my own experiences, I've shot several coyotes with a .223 that were running...and they kept on running. Some I found, some kept on going. Granted my shot placement wasn't the best, due to the moving target, but a larger or more powerful rifle would put them down with more authority. Also, I've been using 45gr. JHP box/factory ammo for my .223, instead of reloading a 55gr. bullet weight, which would have better performance and/or higher K.E.

I've recently purchased a Stevens in .25-06, but haven't had the opportunity to take a shot on a coyote to see the increased power difference. From this forum and others that I have talked with in person, tell me that this caliber will put 'em down with authority. I'm hoping to get out and try it soon, to see what this 87gr. BT bullet will do to a coyote @ 3300 f.p.s.
sneaky2.gif

Again, these are my experiences and what I'm doing to improve my odds in taking predators.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Originally Posted By: philipYou lucky devil......... I have 450 acres in the "lead free zone" that is basically useless for varmint hunting now.....

Hornady is coming out with a 30 gr NTX 'lead free' bullet for the .204 Ruger.

Originally Posted By: CV32Originally Posted By: philipYou lucky devil......... I have 450 acres in the "lead free zone" that is basically useless for varmint hunting now.....

Hornady is coming out with a 30 gr NTX 'lead free' bullet for the .204 Ruger.

I`ll keep my eye`s open for that one....

Any idea on the twist it will require?????

Originally Posted By: philipI`ll keep my eye`s open for that one.... Any idea on the twist it will require?????

I would say the 1-in-12 twist that you typically find in most factory .204 rifles will be just fine.

Back