Remington.17cal .twist rate

POPNDOGS

Can anyone tell me the twist rate to a Remington 700BDL in.17rem standard bbl?? I heard 1 in 14, then someone else told me 1 in 12 ??????? Thanks.

I have all 1-9, but I know they made quite a few in 1-10 depending on the year and model. There is a way to tell with a cleaning rod, but I am not clear on how to do it accurately.

Push a tight patch or brush through your barrel (from the breech, not the muzzle), then pull it back about an inch.
Now put a piece of masking tape on the rod right at the action and put a mark on the very top of it.
Continue pulling the patch/brush back untill the mark on the tape makes a full revolution.
Now measure the distance from the tape to the action.

You'll find that it measures nine inches.

If it has anything but a 9" twist barrel, it is a very early 700 BDL/17 Remington combination. The 17 Remington in the 700 BDL was introduced in 1971 and came with 10" twist barrels.

By 1973, IIRC, Remington had switched over to the 9" twist.

As a point of reference, I have a copy of the 1974 Speer Reloading Manual Number Nine that shows a 9" twist Rem 700 BDL as the rifle used to build the load data on the 17 Remington loading page. Speer never made a 17 caliber bullet but none the less showed load data for a 25 grain HP (presumably Hornady) in the 17 Remington cartridge.

Also, in the back of the manual there is a reference section titled "Rifling Twist Used In Modern Center Fire Rifles" showing the current (1974 in this case) barrel twist by caliber/cartridge and rifle maker. For the 17 Remington, the chart shows:

17 Remington
1 in 9"
Remington 700

Thanks very much for all the help! I didnt think 1 in 14 or 1 in 12 sounded right. Its not an old rifle at all, but just to make sure I will double check with a rod and patch Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: POPNDOGSThanks very much for all the help! I didnt think 1 in 14 or 1 in 12 sounded right. Its not an old rifle at all, but just to make sure I will double check with a rod and patch Thanks again.

Like Charley said, I'm sure you will find its a 9" twist barrel.

Also, as he mentioned, make sure that the rod and tip are tightly threaded together, and pull the rod back from the muzzle end of the barrel toward the action. This will keep the rod and tip threaded tightly together as they turn.

If you push the rod from the action end of the barrel toward the muzzle, the tip might come unscrewed in the process and mess up the measurement.

-BCB

Back