Bobcat help needed

I would think if your domestic cats are mingling close enough with bobcats to transfer ticks, your cats wouldn't be returning home for any tick/flea treatments.

Make a fine meal for a bobcat.

all the info above was presented by knowledgable callers. i would think that it would be something else other than bobcats. maybe the mice thier eating??

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI would think if your domestic cats are mingling close enough with bobcats to transfer ticks, your cats wouldn't be returning home for any tick/flea treatments.

Make a fine meal for a bobcat.

The ticks feed on the host for awhile (bobcat), then the ticks fall off and attach
themselves to another host that wanders by at a later time. Ticks don't jump from
host to host.

And yes, cats make fine snacks for bobcats.

We also have a bunch of new strays wandering around. Ticks could be coming in with them.

This last cat we took to the vet and he's the one that told us what the problem was after
a bunch of tests. Really good vet by the way. New guy in Ava Missouri.

Originally Posted By: R.ShawRJM...I never saw a guy have so many problems with wild animals on his "ranch". Everything from mountain lions to coyotes to now bobcats that are transmiting a disease to your house cats of all things. Gee whiz. Think I have heard it all now.

Bobcat season is closed in MO now and without a permit, illegal to shoot. And I doubt you will be receiving a permit to save your cats. Night hunting with a light using a white lens or red is illegal too. So good luck with that.

How many acres you run there anyways?

Shaw, I posted an invite to you to come on down a month or so ago.
Perfect way for you to prove me wrong or a liar. Invite's still open.
And since you obviously think I'm lying or a BS artist, that offer still
stands. Come down early in the day and I will introduce you to some of the
neighbors and you can ask them about the mountain lions, bobcats, etc. Then
if you still have doubts, I have the perfect place for you to sit, listen and
watch. And since you think none of those animals exist, you won't need a gun
with you. I figure you can park your butt in the woods about 1/4 mile to the
south of the house. Nice little stream flowing there. About 4:00 pm would be
good and then sit there until around midnight. You should be perfectly fine
and safe at that location. Remember, there aren't any mountain lions, bobcats
or bears here and there definitly no wild dogs.

I'm guessing you have never been to or spent any time down in southern missouri.

As for how much land we have, I simply don't know. Bought this place and it was
only 20 acres. Then the guy gave us the deed to a bunch of wooded acres at closing.
Not sure why he did that. So where we actually live, we own everything between all
the roads. I guess if I thought it was worth it, I could go to the bank, get in
the box and figure out acres, etc from the deeds.

Then we've bought a few more places here and there.
Some near, some in the neighboring county. I'm hoping to pick up the neighboring place over
the weekend. He died and they are auctioning off 6 parcels of land.

And unlike some here, I actually live out in the country. My office is in the house and I'm
here pretty much 24/7 except when I have to run to town once in awhile. I know what goes
on in my area.

Here's a link to a few pictures of where the house sits.
http://www.rjmacres.com/page1.htm

I bought this place because I wanted the dog in those pictures. Place was ok but I wanted
that dog bad. She was written into the sales contract.

Sure glad I never brought up the stampeding buffalos.

Randy, I've passed through your area several times over the past years on a motorcycle, and well as when transporting Disabled Vets for their medical appts... and it is some beautiful, but wild country down there...

It wouldn't surprise me to run into a Bigfoot lurking around your neighborhood, as opposed to the flatlands in the north part of the state... One could certainly hide down there very easily..As I understand it, the bears are starting to migrate up from Arkansas...but that's another problem..

I would think that if you contacted your local Conservation Agent about the problems you are having with the wildlife, he/she might be able to offer some solutions that are legally acceptable, and if not, at least be a little understanding about you protecting your property, and animals..

I know that I wouldn't put up with infringements for very long, were I in your shoes..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleRandy, I've passed through your area several times over the past years on a motorcycle, and well as when transporting Disabled Vets for their medical appts... and it is some beautiful, but wild country down there...

It wouldn't surprise me to run into a Bigfoot lurking around your neighborhood, as opposed to the flatlands in the north part of the state... One could certainly hide down there very easily..As I understand it, the bears are starting to migrate up from Arkansas...but that's another problem..

I would think that if you contacted your local Conservation Agent about the problems you are having with the wildlife, he/she might be able to offer some solutions that are legally acceptable, and if not, at least be a little understanding about you protecting your property, and animals..

I know that I wouldn't put up with infringements for very long, were I in your shoes..

Thanks Turtle.
Yep, conservation folks know about some of the larger problems.
I got the offical OK to shoot big cats last fall. I really don't want to as I kind of like
them. But the one with the long scar on it's hip is the problem 1. It's the one that got
the llama and the one that was raiding a neighbors chicken coup. That's where it got the
scar from. It walked in while he was gathering eggs. He always carries with him but just
grazed it on the hip. It scared the crap out of him big time. And this guy doesn't scare
easily.

Had the closest Wildlife Damage Control officer come down to our place from Ava when we
were having a real bad time with the wild dogs. I figured the dogs would be a no show when
she got here but they showed up about 5 minutes after she got out of her truck. They had themselves
whipped into a killing frenzy and the sounds were incredible. She saw a few come out of the
woods. She then said we had a bad problem but since they weren't native animals, there wasn't much
she could do to help. But she did suggest I start snaring but had to use 1 of those live snares
in case I needed to let them loose.

The conservation boys and I had lots of talks when our llama was killed by the mountain lion last
fall. Thought they were going to try and trap it but they never brought the traps out.
Bears are increasing in population here. Last estimate was 300-500 of them in the area. Most are
the small black bears. I was contacted by a reporter wanting to do a story on the bears but I
think he lost interest when I wouldn't interview on camera. Even saw in the local sheriff's report
last week where someone reported a large black bear on their porch raiding the bird feeders.

As far as the bobcats go, I can/will deal with them as I see fit. Just the way it works down
here. Took me a long time to understand that concept.

Be careful riding a cycle down here. Deer are out 24/7 and bikers have been hitting a few lately.
Saw Mama bear and cub(s) walking down our side road last week also. Hope they don't make a habit of
it or they will probably get hit by a car. 1 got hit by a car in that same location a few years
ago. Mama bear has been around our place for years. I've had a couple run in's with her but she
backs off after warning me I'm to close to her cubs. She's become such a fixture that most of the
time our guard dogs don't even bother to bark at her anymore but do run the fence line beside her.
Also, folks don't seem to understand down here on which side of the road they belong. Always have
to be careful not to get hit by a bad driver. That's the main reason I don't ride anymore.

Speaking of Bigfoot, the local trapper says they get 10+ reports a year down here and they have
to investigate all of them.

Randy

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresAs for how much land we have, I simply don't know.

You might want to check your personal/property tax receipt. It gives a detailed description of your land and the total number of acres you pay taxes on.

And now we throw Bigfoot into the mix as well. Good grief.
RJM with all the problems that occur on your oversized backyard, you might want to consider relocating. I am unsure if you are cut-out for wilderness living.

Guess I could check the tax receipts.
There are multiples. But then again I really don't care.

Was just mentioning bigfoot and what the state trapper said.
Don't like it, don't read my posts.

I'm just fine with wilderness living, thank you.
Been doing it most of my life. Just didn't have quite
the variety of predators before up in the flatlands.

Invite still stands. Just hop on hwy 5 and head south.
When you get to Ava, call me and I will give you detailed
directions on how to find me.

Originally Posted By: RJM Acres
When you get to Ava, call me and I will give you detailed
directions on how to find me.

That won't be necessary. All I need to do is follow the mountain lion and bigfoot tracks.Should lead me right to your front door.

Hey, Shaw, Y don't you go find a thread your actually interested in as apposed to being the troll king for RJM? I don't know y you reckon you know so dam much about everything. RJM isn't on here crying and worried so I don't see where your get off telling him he's not cut out for wilderness living. He's just sharing with us and working up a plan to deal with things. Gets info and opinions then comes up with a plan and implements it.Sounds every bit like a guy perfectly set up to deal with things out of town.

Ive never heard of no disease carring kitty's but anything is possable..Ive got a great way to bring em im....Feathers tied on a string to a 2 foot stick so the feathers blow in the wind....Partridge feathers work awsome ! good luck ya''ll...

Originally Posted By: LongbarrelIve never heard of no disease carring kitty's but anything is possable..Ive got a great way to bring em im....Feathers tied on a string to a 2 foot stick so the feathers blow in the wind....Partridge feathers work awsome ! good luck ya''ll...

Yeah, it was kind of a surprise to us also.
Pretty much anytime we lose an animal or have 1 sick to unknown causes we get the vet
involved to find out why.

Since we raise chicken, ducks & guineas, we have feathers, all sorts of them so will give the
stick thing a try.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Hey, Shaw, Y don't you go find a thread your actually interested in as apposed to being the troll king for RJM? I don't know y you reckon you know so dam much about everything. RJM isn't on here crying and worried so I don't see where your get off telling him he's not cut out for wilderness living. He's just sharing with us and working up a plan to deal with things. Gets info and opinions then comes up with a plan and implements it.Sounds every bit like a guy perfectly set up to deal with things out of town.

I think Shaw just likes me a whole lot.
Scary thought, isn't it.

Great looking place. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have all the critters you mentioned. My sister lives in NJ, less than 100 miles fron NYC, and she has a terrible bear problem. They have had Dems running the show there for quite awhile so the bunny huggers have stopped any bear hunts. The bears seem to know their safe they show up in the front yard in the middle of the day. Like Shaw, many folks that live in the city don't believe these critters are out there. When you have to put up with them raiding your barns and sheds and scaring the begeebers out of your kids and grandkids you think different.

Gorgeous property! If he doesn't wanna take you up on the offer I will come football season.
laugh.gif

Thanks guys. I need to get out and take some new pictures.
Those were taken in Oct a few years back and things have
changed since then. The woods are real real thick these
days, you can barely see 30 feet in them.

We've added a few ponds, etc..
But with all the rain we've been getting I haven't been
able to get the tractor out and things bush hogged and
everything is overgrown to say the least. Ticks, etc are
loving it however.

Been gone all day on another pet emergency. Another real
odd problem. Older dog is just bleeding from all sorts of
place but mainly her mouth. Vet ran tests and the dog has
very few platelets in her blood. Not good. I'm just real
thankful for a very knowledgable vet and 1 we trust.

Just been one thing after another the past month or so.

Randy

RJMacres not a problem with the feathers...anything that works right...and it's cheap too...LOL !! OH'hows the dog doing gonn-a be ok..keep us up dated..

Originally Posted By: LongbarrelRJMacres not a problem with the feathers...anything that works right...and it's cheap too...LOL !! OH'hows the dog doing gonn-a be ok..keep us up dated..

Lots of other feathers around also but I understand it's illegal for me to posses them.

We're sure hoping the dogs going to be ok. We've had her for 12 years. She was a rescue we
did and she had some serious issues back then, so we ended up keeping her. She goes back to
the vet next Tuesday for another round of blood tests and probably a transfusion. I know
it seems silly to some to spend that much $$ on dog care but hey, we've been doing dog
rescues, etc for 20+ years.

I'm thinking 1 of these days, I should give myself a proper introduction here and then some
folks might understand me a bit better. I should really tell my stampeding buffalo story and
then everyone will think I'm nuts and a bs'er but what the hey.

Back