6x45 or 6 WOA

Brent Parker

Ok guys I'm just getting into ar's and want one in a 6mm. It will be mainly used for coyote hunting. Normal ranges are normally around 100 yards or less but almost never over 200 yards on called coyotes. I will also be shooting the ocassional bobcat. I do save and put up fur so a bullet that won't make big hole most of the time is important. Just looking for something different. Any thoughts or recommendations on these two cartridges? Thanks Brent Parker

i have been wondering the same thing, not much info on the net on the 6woa, not even on white oak's website. both of those should be easy to load, and find supplies for...probably easier than the 6mm ar or turbo anyway.

The 6x45 would probably do everything you want. It puts out about 30% more energy than the .223, it is VERY easy to load for, it is extremely accurate, and you can get by with a shorter barrel than a .223. The brass is all but free, it uses the same bolt and magazines as the .223/5.56. There is very little not to like about it.

The 6 WOA is a great cartridge as well. It was designed for Camp Perry, and does a great job at it. It is a 6.8 SPC case necked-down to 6 mm, with the shoulder pushed back and sharpened to 30*. Pushing the shoulder back made a little more room in the magazine for the longer bullets, and I believe that is what John had in mind when he created it.

My new wildcat, the 6mm DTI, is much like the WOA, but the shoulder is blown forward to increase case capacity. This gives it a little bit more velocity on the light to mid-weight bullets. The 70 to 90 grain bullet is what I had in mind when I designed the DTI, and it's doing a great job at that.

Bang for your buck, it's tough to beat the 6 x 45, but if you need to get more energy and velocity, the WOA or DTI is the next step up.

Mike would you feel comfortable shooting a midwest whitetail with a 6X45? I'm thinking 85 grain Sierra Gameking or lighter partitions. Would you feel like that would be ethical and to what distance? Sorry if this is a High jack...

+1 on what Mike said.As far as a fur friendly bullet I don't worry to much about that myself so I cannot help to much. I have shot the 68gr Berger in my 6X45mm DTech and it usually leaves a quarter-sized exit.

Here is a west Texas whitetail I shot with the 6X45mm while coyote hunting / culling deer this past fall.I shot him and a doe about 30 seconds apart at aproximately 175yds.Both ran 30yds and piled up.That was with a 68gr Euber bullet.

IMG_0350.jpg

I have taken many nice white tails with the 6 x 45 and 85 grain Nosler partitions. I am driving them at a little over 2600 FPS, but using different powders, 2800 is possible.

The DTI sends the same bullet out of the same length barrel at about 3000 FPS. Both could be improved on slightly with a longer barrel.

I went through this about a year and a half ago. I exchanged
messages with several folks on the web regarding 6x45, and
6mm WOA. I went with 6mm WOA, because I figured if I had to
form brass, I may as well go with a case design with more
capacity. Besides, I am a huge fan of the 6.8 SPC, so I have
plenty of brass to work with.

I just started developing an 80 gr. TTSX load, for a Fall
antelope hunt, and have worked up a number of loads in
varmint/predator weight bullets. I have no doubt if a
243 Win, can kill a deer, a 6mm WOA can too. As for this
rifle, it is quite accurate, and easy to find loads with
more than sufficient hunting accuracy. It puts 68 gr. Bergers
into one hole on a regular basis. If I get a chance, on
my way out to WY this Fall, I might stop in SD and see how
well the 6mm WOA launches prairie dogs, with these 68 gr.
Bergers.
thumbup1.gif

Squeeze

I have a 6x45 and really really like it. Dies can be had at Midway or Grafs, for around $60. Brass can be picked up pretty much anywhere and pretty cheap if you want to buy it. I know my 6x45 with 55gr Noslers will send p-dogs flying and when the hit the ground it is ussally in more than one piece. I will probably use it for deer or antelope this fall.

Yes a 6 BR in a AR.
More powder capicity and no case forming.
Decide on what bullets you want to shoot and get a barrel with the right twist.
Right now I am shooting 107 gr sierras in a 8 twist and getting 2850 FPS.
Had a 12 twist that shot 70 BTs at 3300 to 3400 FPS.

I want to thank everyone for there input. I am still undecided but will be making my mind up soon. I would like to be able to use one this predator season. Thanks Brent

To me it is all about convenience. Simply neck up .223 brass and you're done. I've an upper in 6x45 20" long that I run 75 Sierra HP's at 2740 out of.

I also have a bolt gun that is 21". I'm getting 2930 with a 75 Vmax.

I'm also getting right at 2800 with 80 grain soft points (Remington and Winchester) and the 85 grain Sierra HPGK out of this bolt gun.

I got 2750 with the 80 TTSX.

Does plenty well on sausage candidates too as seen in pics below. They were all 6x45'd. Hadn't kept a bullet in one yet.

DSCN1463.jpg

DSCN1931-2.jpg

DSCN1961-1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys I thought I would let you know that I finally decided on a caliber. I placed an order for a 6 WOA. I decided though it cost additonal for it that I wanted something with a little more power than the 6X45 would give me. I can load my 6 woa down but not the 6x45 up. Afterseeing some f the pictures of what you guys have done with a 6x45 I feel the 6 WOA wil do everything I want and more. Thanks to all who replied. Brent

Back