7 DAYS UNTIL DOG TOWN COLORADO

eurosport

Next Thursday I will be west bound and down. Leaving Illinois with my Dad and my gun dealer. I checked 10 day weather forecast. WOW the best weather you could ask for 40's at night and mid 80's for a high and SUNNY. 0 to 10% chance of rain.
I have been loading every night. I thought I had enough ammo and I think you can never have enough ammo. Currently have 2600 rounds .223, 400 rds 22-250, 300rds 243, 500rds 17 Rem, 400 rds 17AB, 1200rds 22 k-Hornet, and several bricks of 22 LR HP.
Ammo I now have, all I need is 4 days of shooting and "Life Is Good".
Saturday I will atempt to shoot 1,000 prairie dogs in one day!!
It gives me a goal. I bought clicker/counters to keep track of dogs shot.
Camera will be busy. Great times to record with Father and Brother. Also taking my gun dealer. He is so excited he bought another 17. He loves it, Remington 700 in 17 FB. Bob

Originally Posted By: eurosport
Saturday I will atempt to shoot 1,000 prairie dogs in one day!!

Thats a lot of varmits to plink in a day, Good Luck and keep us posted.

That's a lot of ammo to roll across country with, PoPo would have a field day stopping you. If the A/C breaks, don't even think about resting a rag on top of your bean to keep the sweat outta your eyes; they'll lock you up for sure.
wink.gif

If you shot two with every shot it would still take 8 and a half hours.
If you could get in the right spot and have somebody reloading and handing you rifles this sounds like a challenge I would like to partake in.

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterIf you shot two with every shot it would still take 8 and a half hours.
If you could get in the right spot and have somebody reloading and handing you rifles this sounds like a challenge I would like to partake in.

Don't forget cleaning.
laugh.gif

Super White did you shoot that black coyote? In Colorado? I want one bad but I have never seen one that dark. That is a Trophy!! Bob

I am going to try and I have done the math. Doubles don't come often for me. When I have to shoot many dogs I don't give them a chance to line up I just shoot twice. The AR-15 will get a work out Saturday. My buddy in Co. called me last Friday and said there were 6 pups on every mound. That is promising. Bob

Bob, Just remember to take some sun shade and lots of water...

I've had strings of really populated towns out in the area where you are headed and I was popping one every few seconds and the others would just stand looking around like, "What's the matter with Harry?" when one next to them would go flying...and it was just a matter of moving the scope a quarter of an inch to pick up the next one...Remembering to change ARs was the hard part..

If the population figures are up from the last plague a few years ago, your 1k in a day goal is certainly doable...Have fun and get us a report when you get back..

Best two days I have ever witnessed was 949 shots total. Better have some fantastic optics (serious eye fatigue otherwise), several rifles, minimal number of other shooters nearby. Several decent rifles at the ready.

You will find this to be a more formiable task than you would first think. Unless you just plan to wing lead all over and not concern yourself with where it may end up.

Last edited:
I'd say you have our attention, and we'd all like to have such a day. Vicariously through you we can have that day. Be sure to post [correct] pictures so we can enjoy the experience in that fashion.

Wow a thousand in a day? That would be incredible! I'm headed out to my in laws in Western Kansas in a few days. There is only one town left in Rawlings County that I have found. The farmers have taken them out. The good thing is my brother in law owns it.
smile.gif

I'd feel lucky to get fifty in a day there. The population just isn't high enough. However, I located 300 acres in another county south of there that is for sale. I'm going to meander down that way to "look" at it and do a "test" hunt.
laugh.gif

I echo the water, sunscreen, etc thing. After I'd done it for awhile I started adding bug spray, something good to sit on (ground pad), and a basic survival kit (multitool, flashlight, matches) to my kit. We were out hunting when this kid that tagged along with us locked us out of the truck! We were in the middle of NOWHERE!. I walked about half a mile to get to the top of a hill where my cell phone would work. By the time help arrived we were eaten alive by bugs that came out at night. The nearby wheat field had terrace channels that were full of water from the rain. Millions of mosquitoes arose out of them to eat us alive. I have a picture somewhere of the mosquitoes, they look like a black cloud!

If I had my little survival kit, I could have at least lit a fire to keep the bugs away. The only other time I've seen bugs that thick was in the Everglades.

Well I did not attempt 1000 PDs in one day. Too much wind. PDs were nervous and not far from holes most of the time. I sure had a great time shooting my recently acquired 17s. 2 17 Remington and a 17AB in a Cooper. I shot a string of 11 consecutive hits one at 387 yards with my 700 VLSF 17 Rem. Three consecutive hit 501 to 508 yards with 243. Longest shot was 571 yards with 243. I shot 243 more than usual because of wind. Sunday afternon was extremely beautiful. I shot 385 PDs in 4 hours. Fast and furious. Shot 300 17AB and the rest were 17 Rem. A great day approx total for Sunday 550 pds. All of my normal dogtowns had people shooting on them. Most ranches are being leased by outfitters. This is all new to the PD towns. Bob

Bob, Glad to hear you had a good time....That weather out in that part of the country can really make them skittish at times...

I'm going to get together with a couple of buddies and see about going out later in the month...I've got to call the rancher and get a population report on his..

Guess I'm going to have to see about getting a .243... I just hate to have to build up the reloading stock for one when I have so much for the .204s and .223s...

Back