Using A Wheelchair Blind For Calling Success - Coyote Pics

SDHowler

I have been trying to get out and do some coyote calling, but I had to many excuses with the winter snow and then the spring rains or else it was the wind. Finally I went north of Pierre, SD to see if I could call up some coyotes with a late evening call. I have a genetic muscular disorder that has required the use of a wheelchair for my mobility since 2000. The following pics show an Ameristep #881, a one man chair blind that we modified for use with my Jazzy electric wheelchair.

_WCBlind12_5.jpg

_WCBlind06_5.jpg

I selected an area north of Pierre, SD that is closed to hunting, but I was using my camera. I had to go cross country with my electric wheelchair for about 1/4 mile that was quite the challenge and chore. The area had a bottom land that was covered with trees and the upland grassy area had a few sparse trees that gave me a shady area for a call near sundown.

I howled with my Dakota Coyote Howler and waited my 2-3 minutes, but no answers. I howled again waited and then blew the rabbit distress screams with my Dakota Jack bite reed call. After which, coming out of the taller grass about 70 yards away there was a coyote:

_Coy06.jpg

Then I spotted a second coyote coming in behind, but I only got pics of the first coyote. With one pair of eyes, I chose to keep my attention on the closest coyote. As these calling stands go, I should have taken a few pics before I started, but of course I didn't.

_Coy07.jpg

Who said that coyotes are attentive? What was this coyote watching?

_Coy09.jpg

I used my sitting coyote decoy and this is what the coyote was looking at. This pic was taken later at a different location to show the decoy that I used.

_Decoy76.jpg

As usual the coyote always has an escape route.

_Coy10.jpg

Yes if this would have been an actual hunt with my rifle, there would be one less coyote. Who would think that I got a little shaky while taking these pics? Perhaps, I should have used my monopod or tripod? I had the camera set with a 400 ISO or film speed, 800 or 1600 may have produced sharper pics?

The only time we truly fail in life is when we do not try!

Steve

Predator Calling

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your ingenuity and successful hunt! Great pictures; thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Talk about an inspiration.. Getting out there and getting it done! thats what your doing.. Awsome job man.. awsome job.. you have my vote for hunter of the month
smile.gif

I am not confined to a wheelchair. But I use one regularly. I can walk about ten feet with crutches. But I normally use my chair. I had my friends modify a Kawasaki Mule for me to use. I have a little more mobility. I bought a large piece of camo netting and we completely cover up the Mule, it takes just a few seconds to do it. It is very light. I think it was one the army used to cover up a small Howitzer. It works really well, and will let you get around pretty good on the Mule. They can put seat belts on the mule to hold you steady. I have a picture of the modified Mule, but not with the cover on it. But you can drive it around with the cover on it. You just need to be careful.

And by the way. Great pictures. And congratulations on getting at it. People some times take advantage of the little things they do every day. I am sure you enjoy your time afield as much as I do. Tom.

IMG_0508.jpg

Last edited:
wow! HOW MANY TIMES WE HAVE STTOPED FROM GOING OUT HUNTING JUST BECAUSE IS A LITTLE COLD OR WET? OR ANY EXCUSE, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING YOU TRULY LOVE, NICE SET UP YOU HAVE, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Originally Posted By: getemcloseTalk about an inspiration.. Getting out there and getting it done! thats what your doing.. Awsome job man.. awsome job.. you have my vote for hunter of the month
smile.gif

Same here and thanks for sharing.

Great story, and great pics. That's using your noggin now. My old math teacher used to tell me " boy use your head for more than a hat rack". You both have shown us examples of American Ingenuity at work, Way to go.

Shayne

SD Howler, Great job and those are great pictures hopefully next time you will be in an area where you can take him!

THANKS for all your comments. I worked as a State Trapper for the SD GF&P from 1977-92 and spent many hours working with various wildlife complaints. I have many memories and stories that could be shared about the coyotes that I called in. They aren't always cooperative like the coyote shown in the above pics.

I retired from SD State Gov't after 33 years of service in October of 2007. My time now is spent with my family and friends, but also working on predator calls, WEB pages, and photography.

Steve

I guess I had forgotten about the mosquitoes with my past spring and summer coyote calling. I hate to use any repellents and put any more odors in the air. If I remember with my former days of calling, the mosquitoes weren't so bad with the morning calls, but the evening calls were a totally different story.

With myself currently using the chair blind, at least I could move and swat the mosquitoes. I would much rather watch for a coyote, than the bugs.

Steve

Originally Posted By: getemcloseTalk about an inspiration.. Getting out there and getting it done! thats what your doing.. Awsome job man.. awsome job.. you have my vote for hunter of the month
smile.gif

Same here. What an inspiration! I have a wheelchair hunter that is booking for early fall this year. I really like the blind idea and we will be implementing it. Very cool.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Tony

Thanks Tony for your comments, you can take a look at the following attachment: One Man Chair Blind Modified For A Power Wheelchair

This WEB page has some pics of the blind, that show the modifications with metal square tubing that we used to make the chair blind accessible for my Jazzy power wheelchair.

Good Luck Tony with the disabled hunter that you have booked for this fall. No doubt you will give this hunter the opportunity to see plenty of predators while being guided by one of the best callers and call makers in the US.

Steve

Steve,

That is awesome my friend. You truly are an inspiration to us all. I hope to see many more photos like this to come. That is an awesome set-up you have right there.

With your permission, I would like to share your story with my patients to demonstrate your perseverence over your disorder and hopefully help motivate some of them. Keep on doing what you love, Steve. Thanks alot for the pics and story. I loved it.

THANKS Cody for the Hunter Of The Month story nomination. This is very much appreciated. I have always enjoyed sharing various pics and stories of the outdoor activities that I have participated in over the years.

Steve

Back