Boys I've done IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwcw13

Boys it was great I can't believe i done it today i took some very, very good advice and bought a hand caller the long range deluxe lohman rabbit in distress blowed on it a few times and told my buddy we were fixin to call in a coyote more or less just shootin my mouth off. We waited untill about 5:30pm and set out for the condo stand(a 3X4 box with a roof on it which sits on one side of a hill watching the other side of the hill and the valley below). We drove within 100 yards of the stand got out of the truck crossed a four strand fence and strutted across the hill to the stand about fifty yards me in my blue jeans and white t-shirt with the sleeves out of it and my buddy withhis blue jeans and his red cutoff t-shirt , we both had camo caps on though. as we walked to the stand i noticed the wind was in our face, couldn't have been a better situation, except the heat. since coyote season is not in here we decided to make the hunt more realistic by carring a red ryder bb gun not expecting to really see a coyote. when we got in the stand I read the instructions on the package and I blowed as hard as i could. I mean the awfullest noise you ever heard came out of that call. thought I was gonna scare off all the game within one mile of the place got another breath and done it again and again then my buddy said "here he comes" which of course i thought he was joking with me i wailed on the call again a little softer this time and my buddy said "no really here he comes right in front of you" then I seen him about 200 yards away on the other side of the valley. My heart almost exploded! when I called he would move and stop when i would stop I was so excited I could feel the stand shaking. as the yote moved to the bottom of the valley and out of site i reduced my volume to low and tried to direct the sound to the left of us. When he disapeared I told my buddy to get his gun up and he did. I softly called and their he was come up 25 yards right in front of us. He stopped and started looking around I said shoot him and my buddy shot that little bb gun no doubt missing by a mile "like it matters" that dog took out of thier like nobodys business so I barked and howled a couple of times and squeeled a little just to see what would happen i stoped and asked my buddy if he could believe this and then the dog already out of site but only 75-100 yards away barked and howled too. I couldnt believe my ears he done it again and again with us sittin there talkin he stayed out of site but kept barkin. Does this happen often ? Why did he do this? Did I do the right thing by barkin and howlin? This trip was unbelieveable I loved it and I am definatley hooked. And I definately introduced someone else to the thrill. and I mean a thrill!!!! Now I know this won't happen every time but when things work out like they did today it will definatly make up for the dry spells!!! I want to thank the men who responded to my questions in this forum and to this forum for being so great and helpful to us rookies maybe just maybe i'm one step closer to becoming a predator Master! never know but I will surely work on it!!! Good calling and thanks to everyone I will get back to yall because i know im to excited to remember all the details thanks again!!!

jwcw13

Picture me giving you a big "high five".
smile.gif

It's sad but true... Buster is right in what he said.

The coyote barking means he knows your there, and at that moment so did every other coyote in the area.

If you have the urge to call in another one before season opens in your area... shoot him with a camera, and don't make a sound until he is long gone.

You did good calling one on your first try though, that is excellent!

One thing to remember is this, when season starts and you call one in, shoot, and if you miss and he takes off like a bat out of hell, bark a couple times. Sometimes they will stop and look back, giving you an opportuinity to redeem yourself.
smile.gif

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Yes it is true that you educated that begger a little, however for that kind of thrill it was far more than worth it.
HELL I started getting excited reading your story and I would have bet money that could not have happened. Your enthusiasm is highly contagious.

Great trip and don't worry , if you got that big a charge out of calling that critter in and taking a poke at him with a bb gun then that is what it is all about.

Coyote hunting to me is about the experiance,regardless of whether I take one or not.

I bet that you now have a mental picture ,or a hundred worth framing, congrats!

jwcw13 - Great story, I felt like I was there with you. Don't worry about calling and educating the coyote. This is the summer nd he will forget after a few weeks. But try not to call the same coyote or area again unless you want to try the picture taking thing. That would be fun.

Now to get down to some serious stuff here. While your calling technique was effective on this coyote it probably would not effective on the vast majority of coyotes. The next time you call don't blow for all that you are worth, a coyote can hear the sound of an animal in distress for an unbelievable distance. But, don't blow to softly either. Also don't blow a long more or less continous cry. This is unnatural, a rabbit doesn't have that much air in his lungs. I like to have callers blow in shore erratic spurts. Whaaa wha WHAAA wha wha WA wa wa wa - Stop for 30 seconds or so, then do it again over and over agins for 10-15 minutes. I like to visualize a bobcat working on a big jackrabbit. He finds and startles the rabbit - Wha - he catches hold of the rabbit - wha WHAA - the rabbit starts to struggle - wha wha WA wa wa - the rabbit keeps struggling for his life but is weakening - wa wa - the rabbit gets away for a few seconds and the bobcat catches him again - on and on and on like that for 10-15 minutes.
Blow loud - blow soft - blow any wayt you want but try to keep the frantic struggle for life involved in the call.

Adrenaline Overdose
I don't think it could have been descibed any better.
Good Job!!!

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

[This message has been edited by coyotekrazy (edited 07-11-2001).]

Back