High Standard Customer Service....Excellent..!!

Bayou City Boy

About a year ago, I picked up a used short barreled High-Standard Sharp Shooter pistol for a very good price. The pistol is very accurate and has functioned flawlessly. Being all steel, it is heavier than the normal 22LR semi-auto, but when you pull the trigger, there is almost zilch felt recoil in your hand and the pistol stays on target.

This AM I called High Standard, which was bought from the Connecticut owners @1990, IIRC, and was moved to Houston, to see about ordering a couple of extra magazines for the pistol. The lady I spoke to told me since I was in Houston to come down to their facility and they would let me in and I could buy them there instead of ordering them. So, I did.

After buying the two magazines a gentleman asked me if I had the pistol with me - which I didn't. He told me to bring it in some time and they would adjust the feed lips for best feeding on the two magazines at no cost. So, being only 15 minutes from them, I went home and returned about an hour later with the pistol and the new magazines.

When I returned, the owner of the company met me at the door and I explained why I was there. He looked at the pistol and told me with the short barrel that it was one of the first pistols turned out in Houston. He said the short barrels were actually bought from the original High Standard company when he bought the company.

He asked me if I could leave the pistol for 45 minutes and they would get the magazines "regulated". So I left, had lunch, and came back in @ 45 minutes and was told they were just finishing up my pistol and magazines. The owner was there again and he explained that he had an armorer go through the pistol and they literally gutted it of springs, pins, extractor, etc. and replaced every thing internally with new parts - Everything!! including hammer, extractor, etc. - and then regulated the magazines - and rapid fired 30 rounds through each magazine to check functioning.

And the did all this for the price of two magazines...!! I was amazed... The pistol had functioned flawlessly for me since I bought it, and now its like new again inside...

Anyway..... If you're in the market for a nice 22LR pistol, they are a bit pricey, but quality High Standards are still being turned out in Houston, along with a few other firearms.

http://www.highstandard.com/

And, IMO, their customer service is excellent...!

Here's a pic of the pistol and the two new magazines I bought today...

004-4.jpg

-BCB

Wow sounds just like the old days when you could buy almost anything from an American company. I sure do miss those days. Stuff might have cost more in the short run but over the long term it was acutually a lot better bargain. I'm so sick of buying junk.

Awesome cuatomer service.
It doesn't get any better than the way they treated you.
I had two High Standard Pistols made in the late 1980's, just before the company in CT folded. The pistols were BAD, and I've held that view of them ever since.
Your experience just changed that.

Martyn

I love hearing about good companys with good service..it is a rarity nowdays. I have always been a High Standard fan and hearing this story just solidifies my attitud towards them.
The first pistol I ever bought was a High Standard Duramatic. I bought it with money made working with my dad,(earned every cent, I gurantee you
tongue.gif
). We went to the Fredricksburg , TX gunshow and he helped me dicker a gentleman out of the gun and the original box for 110.00. The box is long gone and the gun has eaten a couple thousand rounds of everything from PMC Zappers to CCI Stingers without a hitch. Hopefuly this one will be passed down to my son or daughter and will give them as much enjoyment as it's given me.

hs1.jpg

HS6.jpg

HS2.jpg

Trashcan
Death Card Calls

Good story there BCB.

For a moment there I had flashbacks to my early pistol days and a couple of different Duramtics, Sport Kings and the like. Nothing like the HS you have there. Wow in fact just like the Model 101 that "trashcan" posted. Any clue if you can get mags for those ? I need a ejector too.

I knew an older gentleman that had an OLD HS with aheavy barrel that was a WWII oficers pistol. That gun was so accurate it was scary. In his 70s the man would shoot dimes off fence posts at 25 yards freehand with open sights.
Sounds like the owner is wanting to get back there.

Shayne

Steve:

I'm not certain what they will work on, but I did see what looked like either an older Duramatic or an HD Military received from UPS being unwrapped for repair work while I was there. I didn't get a good look at it but I'm sure it was an older Conn. gun.

Maybe call them or check on the web link.

As an aside to what the owner of HS told me yesterday about my pistol, I had never noticed it on this pistol before, but after being told the barrel came from the old High Standard Company inventory, last night I noticed that the smaller stamping on the barrel assembly reads:

HIGH STANDARD MFG. CORP.
HAMDEN, CONN. USA

The larger stamping on the receiver reads:

HIGH STANDARD MFG. CO. INC.
HOUSTON,TX

So..... I guess I have a "parts gun"...
grin.gif

-BCB

Originally Posted By: skb2706BCB - having trouble getting linked up to the HS site. I keep losing a connection when I try.

Steve:

The link is working fine for me.. And all the menu links on the site itself seems to work when I hit them on the HS home page.

Maybe just type the web address into your browser and try it that way.

HTH - BCB

Back