wild hog/feral pig question!

let me tell you somethin...kill it. Kill every hog that is wild, loose, etc. We have let it get out of hand here. They will destroy everything, and you can't kill them fast enough. Just like fleas. Don't let it happen where you are...You'll regret it.

-Dave

there is a little misconception where domestics gone feral are concerned. all hogs have the potential to grow a little hair and tusks {teeth} providing they live long enough. But if you take a pure bred registered hog and turn it lose it will never look like a feral hog. Though it may look like a rough cut domestic towards the end.
Now if the domestic hog breeds with a feral it doesn't take long for the offspring to look feral. The first generation takes on some characteristics of a feral/wild, the second generation even more. I'll let you all know when I get the 3rd generation produced... with pics. No mater what color the adults, the young can be any color in the rainbow except purple!

Originally Posted By: guessthere is a little misconception where domestics gone feral are concerned. all hogs have the potential to grow a little hair and tusks {teeth} providing they live long enough. But if you take a pure bred registered hog and turn it lose it will never look like a feral hog. Though it may look like a rough cut domestic towards the end.
Now if the domestic hog breeds with a feral it doesn't take long for the offspring to look feral. The first generation takes on some characteristics of a feral/wild, the second generation even more. I'll let you all know when I get the 3rd generation produced... with pics. No mater what color the adults, the young can be any color in the rainbow except purple!

Bingo! Depending on what type of bloodlines a domestic hog is that breeds to a feral pig thats where you get good size hogs from. Even second and third generations from domestic blood lines say hampshire you will see the size difference between those and a regular feral hog. I will say that it doesnt take long at all for a domestic pig to turn "wild" but like he said its still going to look like a domestic hog even generations later you can still tell the difference in their apperance.

They are so bad in SC that they have a bill in the Senate right now making it legal to hunt them at night with a light and pistol. They are like he said above-----out of control and will ruin habitat for your deer, turkey and destroy your crops completely.

The second you notice them on your property start trapping them and killing them! Even doing this as soon as you find them ill be suprised if you stop them. They breed fast and cause lots of damage even faster! Ill kill any hog I see wether its 5lbs or 400lbs wether I eat it or not they need to be shot. If I need meat for my freezer ill clean it and eat it if not ill kill it and leave it where its laying.

Last edited:
Well, here in Arkansas its open year round, 24/7...Too late though. We'll always have a hog problem. I hear in Kansas, if someone spots a hog and calls the game and fish commission, a helicoptor is sent out to locate and kill all the hogs that could be in the area. If this is true, kansas will never have a hog problem. If they sent a helicoptor out here to locate and kill all the hogs, they would still never get it done, because its just gone too far. I can assure you that even though hog hunting is fun, its not worth the loss.

-Dave

I'm not sure about the once they take hold its too late but it will be a matter of how serious one is about getting a hold on them. The ranch I hunt by Sth Tx standards is large and has an intense feed & management plan for whitetails with that comes a catalysts for a serious hog problems. What is done out there is every pig is shot on site, period. Before deer season starts and the aerial deer survey is done we take an AR-10 & benelli up in helo. When a pig or pack is flown over the pilot directs the gunner just beside or ahead of the running pig(by the way all the stuff you see on you tube isn't given justice like being up there) and bingo! We also have a rifle set up with gen III night vision and when the food plots come up you sit at the edge of the field and let up feed out past the brush lines, bingo! Needless to say a few years ago we were averaging about 300 pigs killed a year and in the past two years the numbers have fallen dramatically to around a hundred. The amount of protein & deer corn consumed, and planted food plots torn up is incalculable by what is done by the pigs. The flip side is you don't want to get rid of them all because their great live targets!

Back