16 inch barrel velocity ???

GRIZZLYONE

Anyone out there shoot an AR with a 16 inch barrel? I would like a rough idea what type of velocity I might get with 52/55 grain bullets in 223? Thanks, Grizz.

Hey Grizz,

I was chronoing some reloads from my 16" Colt H-bar carbine a couple months ago. The only factory stuff I checked were some of those Remington 50 grain HP's from their 40 round value pack. They averaged 3007 FPS for two 10 shot strings. I've not shot any 52/55 grain factory loaded .223's through my chronograph so I can't help there.

I have a 16" on my DPMS Sportical. I don't have a crony but I can tell you I'm liking this gun alot. Mine's a 5.56 1-9. Been shooting Win. white box 5.56 55gr FMJ's and Rem. 50 gr. HP's
sporticaldone.jpg

I have been considering the same thing with one of my 14.7 inch AR. I have rounds loaded but haven't shot any yet. According to quickload a max load of H335 with a 52 grain bullet you will get about 3000 fps. Chris

At max powder charge with benchmark and a 55 grain Vmax bullet listed in the Hornady book I'm running 2900 fps out of my DPMS Sweet 16. That load also puts 5 holes in a hair less than a 1/2" diameter.

The chrono was set about 10 yards out from the barrel.

BBsteel, If you are setting the chrono 10 Yards from the muzzle, you're getting low readings...10 feet is normal minimum distance..

Quote:...If you are setting the chrono 10 Yards from the muzzle, you're getting low readings...10 feet is normal minimum distance..

Add 24 fps. and you're compensated.
thumbup1.gif

Hey Grizz,
I was shooting some 6.8 SPC reloads over my chronograph today. While I was at it I shot some Blackhills 55 grain PSP's. They were running right at 2900 from my 16" Colt 6920 carbine.

Hope this helps..

Old T and Evil, thanks.

I'm restricted by culverts that we must shoot out of at our range. Therefore, that's about as close I can get it.

I chrono'd my 55 grain Vmax loads a couple of weeks ago with my 16" RRA AR. 25.5 grains of Win 748 was getting me pretty close to 2900 fps.

Back