204 Powder

So far in a 204 I have used IMR4895, H322, and R10X all with good results. I've also used Rem 7 1/2's, Fed 205 and 205M's, and CCI BR-4's for primers all with good results. This is something that you will have to figure out for yourself-what works best for my rifle. That's half the fun. Someone here could give you their top load but it might not work worth a hoot in your gun. Right now I'm fooling around with 39SBK's with R10X and Fed 205 primers with great results. But that's in my gun. Here's some data from Nosler for that particular bullet. Dave
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=20cal

I would study the data from this chart and pick one of the powders and go from there. They used 205M's for primers but the 205 is really the same thing-205M's going through an extra QC step or something like that. I used to pay the extra bucks for the M's but not anymore and haven't seen a bit of difference.

Last edited:
WW748 works well for me on 32,35, and 40gr. I have also had pretty good results with IMR4895. My next powder to try will be H322.

My Savage 12 in .204 just seems to have a thing for Benchmark. I use the 27.2 grain load of the stuff with the 32 grain Vmax of sub half inch groups. Remington 6 1/2 primers light it off. Several years ago I tried the 34 grain Varmint Extreme bullets from Midsouth (same bullet as the 34 grain Dogtown from Midway) with the same powder charge and primer and Suprise! 5 shots all clustered into a hole that you couldnt push your pinkie trough without tearing the paper. Tried it again and did it again. An economy bullet that out shoots the more expenise ones and blows prairie dogs into atoms? What's not to like?

varget, re10x, benchmark. I shoot 39 sbk's over varget and 7.5 remington primers currently. Yields a velocity of 3650 and 1/2 moa groups. For the last two years I used re10x with same results. If you are sticking with the lighter bullets these may not be the best powder choices. Silverfox (a .204 guy for sure) has settled on H4895 and finds it to be the best all round choice after lots of testing. I find that my .204 is one of the easiest loads to develop for accuracy with speed topping out at about 2750 using the 39 sbk's.

My rifles don't seem to like the 32gr bullets, but with the 39gr SBKs,,Wichester-748 or Ramshot's X-Terminator produce some excellent results..

I've tried TAC, but reserve in for my .223s as it doesn't seem to produce the speed that X-Terminator does unless I really start maxing out the charge..

I stayed w 32s because i already have 400rds of v-max and 33gr HSM ammo and just p-dog, crow, turtle, beaver gun, got 250s and 243 for yotes.

I love Accurate Arms 2230 for my .204.
It was designed for the .223 so I knew it would be an appropriate powder for .204. It has worked well for me.

Ramshot's X-Terminator is the same exact powder as AA2230 per the company that owns Ramshot, Accurate Arms and some other powder companies. It is not close it is the same powder.

Back