Mark Oklahoma #9 on the FFA list of states passed

Well well, our freakin commie governor vetoed it. I hope it can be overridden somehow.

His spokesperson said "Henry felt it would make the public un-safe". He's served two terms and isn't worried about re-election, so I guess his true colors are starting to show.

I like that resolution. I think we need it. Once this gets done, will we be able to re-submit these bills and get them passed? I hope so.

I was looking to see what bills they are still trying to pass under the 10th.
Here is what I found..

HB 2814, Teaching the Founding Documents in School, sent to Senate, Second Reading referred to Education

HJR 1054, Healthcare Freedom of Choice Act, passed House and Senate, Republican leadership currently playing politics with the bill

SB 1685, Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act, passed Senate, in House Public Safety Committee

I believe that the Open Carry bill has gone back to the Safety Committee. To tell you the truth, I'm confused but I think Sb 1685 was amended and had to go back to committee before going to the goob's desk.

If you go to Oklahoma shooters site and click on 2nd Amendment & Political forums, there is more info there on what bills are where. There's a link in one of the threads.

hmm, just reading the site I got those from. It seems our wonderful governor has veto the Firearms Freedom Act.. updated today!

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Sen. Randy Brogdon said he was disappointed to learn that Gov. Brad Henry had vetoed Senate Bill 1685, the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act. The bill was designed to stop further encroachment of the federal government on Second Amendment rights by exempting firearms and ammunition manufactured in Oklahoma from regulations handed down from Washington D.C.

“The governor claimed this bill would have given criminals ‘easy access’ to guns. That argument is absurd,” Brogdon said. “Oklahoma law addresses this issue—convicted felons cannot own guns in our state. The Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act would not have changed that state law.”

Under the provisions of Senate Bill 1685, no firearms or ammunition manufactured in Oklahoma and remaining in the state could be subject to any federal regulations, including federal registration requirements. Brogdon, R-Owasso, noted the legislation was approved by wide margins on bipartisan votes in both the Senate and the House.

“What the governor fails to grasp is that for years, anti-Second Amendment politicians have been attempting to use federal regulation as a way to prevent any law abiding citizen from owning firearms,” Brogdon said. “My legislation would have stopped further federal attempts to erode our Constitutional right to protect ourselves and our families.”

Brogdon said he would attempt to override the governor’s veto of SB 1685 as soon as possible.

”The governor claims to be pro-life then vetoes pro-life bills. He claims to support the Second Amendment then vetoes legislation supporting it. Actions speak louder than words—what he says he believes and what he does don’t add up,” Brogdon said. “This bill would have given Oklahomans greater protection for their right to keep and bare arms. I will do everything in my power to override this veto and make sure this bill becomes law.”

I think we really need to get rid of a governor!

HB 1414, Ritze’s Open Carry bill, an amendment to revive the language in another bill died in the Public Safety Committee

This is what it is for..
Oklahoma state Rep. Mike Ritze (R-Broken Arrow, OK) introduced a new bill to the Oklahoma House of Representatives that would, if passed into law, allow Oklahoma gun owners to openly carry a rifle or shotgun in a pickup truck gun rack (just like we used to be able to do) and to openly carry a pistol in a belt holster without the need for a handgun license.

The current Oklahoma law restricts open carry to the transport of an unloaded gun for purposes of attending a gun class, hunting, going to a sporting event or in a police or military function, also without the requirement of a handgun license.

H.B. 1414 specifies that the firearm would have to be carried in a belt holster, a scabbard or a case designed to carry firearms that is “wholly or partly visible.”

Concealed carry of a gun is one way to protect yourself, but open carry is much more effective in sending a “don’t tread on me” message to criminals (and government thugs?) that will usually alleviate any need to ever draw your weapon, in the first place. When this becomes a common sight in public, watch the crime rates drop like a rock.

Last edited:
What i don't understand is that California has an unloaded open carry law. But we can't seem to come close. This is hard to believe. At least this Is Henry's last term.

I knew he would. He had no choice in order to continue to get favors from the Obama people.

Good hunting!
cool.gif

He's to worried about second hand smoke to worry about pro-life choices.
Sorry but out of everything this is the least of our worries it's already illegal to smoke in 90% of oklahomas businesses' and that includes most all bars.

Expert glad to see the winds didn't blow you away.

Guys, he's done it again! Would someone close to him go show him how to spell his name?
---------------------------------------

News and Info / Press Releases / Gov. Henry vetoes open carry, health care lawsuit bills

Office of Governor Brad Henry
State of Oklahoma

State Capitol - Oklahoma City OK 73105
(405) 521-2342

Gov. Henry vetoes open carry, health care lawsuit bills
May 14, 2010

(Oklahoma City) Citing safety concerns expressed by law enforcement, Gov. Brad Henry today vetoed legislation that would have allowed Oklahomans to wear handguns in public view.

Under current state law, properly trained and licensed citizens can carry concealed handguns for their protection, but House Bill 3354, the so-called open carry law, would have expanded that statute to legalize the public display of such weapons.

Proponents of open carry laws claim criminals will be discouraged from committing lawless acts if other citizens are publicly displaying their weapons on the street. Law enforcement officials disagree, however, saying such a scenario makes it more difficult for officers to determine the difference between criminals and law-abiding citizens at a crime scene or domestic disturbance.

“I’m a strong supporter of the right to bear arms and have earned an A rating from the NRA, but this measure does nothing to strengthen 2nd Amendment protections,” said Gov. Henry. “We already allow trained and licensed Oklahomans to protect themselves by carrying concealed handguns, and it doesn’t make anyone safer to wear a holster and display that weapon to the rest of the public. On the contrary, it makes it more difficult and dangerous for law enforcement officers to try to sort out the good guys and bad guys when they arrive at a crime scene.”

In other action, Gov. Henry vetoed legislation that would have prohibited Oklahoma from following the new federal health care law and authorized the Legislature to file a lawsuit over the issue. In his veto message, the governor said HJR 1054 would trigger a futile legal battle and a possible loss of federal health care funding.

“By essentially stating that Oklahoma will not abide by new federal health care laws, HJR 1054 invites legal action against the state in a case it cannot win. No state has the authority to selectively ignore federal laws of its choosing, and any attempt to do so will be ruled unconstitutional by the courts, but not before a costly legal battle,” said the governor.

“In the final analysis, HJR 1054 will not affect the administration of federal health care reform or assist supporters or opponents of the federal legislation. It will simply trigger an exercise in legal futility that results in a hefty bill for Oklahoma taxpayers and the potential loss of federal funding for important health care programs currently in place.”

VETO MESSAGE — HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 1054:

This is to advise you that on this date, pursuant to the authority vested in me by Section 11 and 12 of Article VI of the Oklahoma Constitution to approve or object to legislation presented to me, I have VETOED House Joint Resolution 1054. By directing Oklahoma to file one lawsuit and take other actions that will result in another being filed against the state , HJR 1054 exposes Oklahoma taxpayers to costly and unnecessary legal bills at a time when they can least afford them. First, there is no need for Oklahoma to join a costly pending legal battle over federal health care reform when other states have already taken the actions necessary to put the issue before the courts. Oklahoma’s participation will not increase the chances of success and will simply cost the state much-needed resources during a historic budget crisis. Second, by essentially stating that Oklahoma will not abide by new federal health care laws, HJR 1054 invites legal action against the state in a case it cannot win. No state has the authority to selectively ignore federal laws of its choosing, and any attempt to do so will be ruled unconstitutional by the courts, but not before a costly legal battle. Finally, this measure could jeopardize future federal funding for critical health care programs on which many Oklahomans currently rely. In the final analysis, HJR 1054 will not affect the administration of federal health care reform or assist supporters or opponents of the federal legislation. It will simply trigger an exercise in legal futility that results in a hefty bill for Oklahoma taxpayers and the potential loss of federal funding for important health care programs currently in place.

VETO MESSAGE — HOUSE BILL NO. 3354:

This is to advise you that on this date, pursuant to the authority vested in me by Section 11 and 12 of Article VI of the Oklahoma Constitution to approve or object to legislation presented to me, I have VETOED House Bill 3354. As a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and the holder of an A rating from the National Rifle Association, I have consistently supported and approved legislation that preserves and strengthens an individual’s constitutional right to bear arms. However, House Bill 3354 does nothing to enhance 2nd Amendment protections and could ultimately endanger public citizens and law enforcement officers. State law already authorizes appropriately trained and licensed citizens to carry concealed firearms for their protection and there is no compelling safety reason or 2nd amendment argument to expand the existing statute. On the contrary, law enforcement officials have raised concerns about the unintended consequences of citizens openly brandishing weapons in public places and have said such a law would make their jobs more difficult and dangerous. Instead of making our streets safer, HB 3354 could ultimately make them more hazardous. The legislation could also damage Oklahoma’s image as a safe, friendly state with a great quality of life, making it less attractive to new business and industry and negatively impacting future prosperity.

grin.gif
Apparently, he did'nt read the statistics that establish that private citizens under attack by criminals kill about twice as many Felons annually as all our law enforcement agencies at all levels combined.
cool.gif

Just as with the CCW law which has been enormously successful and close to no serious problems, open carry would work against the burgeoning criminal element who could care less what the law is on carrying weapons for self defense.
cool.gif

The Governor lives in a security shell that makes sure he will never have to use a weapon in self-defense so his ability to understand what the regular people have to deal with all to often on our mean streets.
cool.gif

Maybe next time!
cool.gif

Last edited:
cool.gif
I was having a cheeseburger @ the McDonalds across the street from Byron's Liquors @ NW 23rd and Broadway not far from the Governors Mansion and I heard shots.
cool.gif

Because I had a Beretta 92 FS with me, I rolled out and foiled that robbery attempt and took the pistol from the would be robber.
cool.gif

Do you think I would have been able to do that without a firearm?

Certainly not!
cool.gif

Good hunting!
cool.gif

Sorry to hear about your story. You should have killed the intruder so he won't have a chance to do that again. Anyway, henry doesn't know anything about the Constitution evidently. His comments are just stupidity. If we can get Brogdon elected Governor, we will have those laws enacted next session because States have power (or rights) over the Federated gubment.

Back