WANTED: 6mm AI load data

mad okie

I have been trying to work up a load for my 6AI and cant find much info, I have tried 7 loads and I am not happy with any of them. My barrel is a 1 in 14 Kreiger Im guessing 70 grain or lighter would work best. Anyone have any top secret loads that I could try?

Go to www.angelfire.com then type in 6mm ackley loads. You'll get many loadings from different people.

I am waiting on a barrel and a Stockade thumbhole stock. Both should be here in about a month. Then it's off to the range to see what the 6mm AI will do.

Good luck,

Cover Dog

I have had good luck with VN 550 in a 6mm remington (not AI) and in a 243AI. Both were with 65 to 70 gr bullets mostly.
I was content this was about the best powder (for me) for this size case/bore/bullet combo.... great velocities and accuracy.

I was loading between 46 and 46.9 gr in the 243ai with a 68 gr bullet..... you could start at 46.0 on the 6mm ai and work up...

WW760, h4350, imr 4350 are also good I got more velocity out of the VN550 ... others will have different experiences..

I have had two of them.

I also shot the 70g Nosler. I used Win brass with Fed 210 primer. I fireformed with 50.5g of Win 760(14T) in one barrel and 48.5g(10T) in the other barrel, while the formed load was with 51.5g of 760 in the 1-14 twist barrel

Start off 2.5g lower than my loads and work up.

Accuracy was fantastic to say the least. In the 14 twist barrel, the formed load was at 4150 fps.

Winchester brass is much stronger than anyother brand of brass unless you want to go to the trouble and expense of dealing with Lapua 7x57 brass.

Barrels and lot# of powder are so different that I have heard varying results. Chamber configurations may add to the variances from barrel to barrel.

I would love to hear of your findings.

Last edited:
I forgot to say that your barrel will stabalize the 75g Sierra HP, but the 75g Hornady V Max is iffy...try it and see.

Last edited:
I have tried H4831, IMR4831, H380, and IMR4350 so far, most velocities around 3700fps and accuracy is so so. I may have to pick up some win 760 and VN550 and see what they will do! Thanks for all the info.

I finally got it!! After several more failed attempts at finding a good load I changed the stock from the factory sps varmint stock to a h.s precision that I had and my groups improved! The best load seems to be Benchmark 43.5g with an average 3755fps the best group measured .225 with a 70 grain nosler ballistic tip.

Last edited:
Back