What to do with a Coyote den that’s to close?

Blitz636

I was out on my back porch two nights back about 2:00am picking up my tools from a construction project and heard a train in the distance; I wasn’t the only one who heard the train. A den of coyote pups tuned up just over the knoll in my back yard...GREAT! We’re early enough into the rearing session here in MI that I’m sure pups are not old enough to be venturing to far from the den.

Knowing a den had to be close, last night I set out to find it. It took me nearly two hours of crisscrossing the brush, but I finally found it. Momma yote definitely did her diligence tucking it up under a bush and not leaving a single trace of a dirt mound; I’m shocked that I actually spotted it.

Now the real question, what do I do with it? I’m in no hurry to knock her off (I’m a hunter not an exterminator), but I really don’t want momma yote and her den of hungry pups so close to my subdivision. I’m sure the odds of a hungry yote harassing my children (ages 2 and 4) or my dogs (55lb boxer and a 5lb yorkie) is slim and none, but I’d be a lot more comfortable if I could get her to move on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Dusty

If it were me & there was an open coyote season. I would kill them all. Reasons are what you've stated above. A pr, let alone a family group of coyotes. Will put the munch on your two dogs. It's only a matter of time, IMO. Keep a close eye on your children. I would not leave them unattended @ anytime.

MI gives the coyotes a break from predator hunters from mid-April to mid-July, so hunting them is outta the question.

It's a little far for a radio, but I'm planning on doing my best to irritate the heck outta her. I told my wife last night I was going to annoy the den until momma yote packed up and left, my wife asked "how", so I told her I was going to move her chair out next to the den and let her sit out there all night and tell momma yote about everything that people posted on her Facebook page... LoL! Drives me CRAZY!!!!

There's a good chance she'll move them just because you were near the den and left your scent in the area. If she doesn't, just go back a few more times and disturb the area near the den. Leave more scent.

Otherwise, the idea of your wife sitting out there jabbering about her facebook stuff outta do it. lol

Blitz,

First of all I agree with Larry. Just your scent near the den should be enough to send her packing.

But if you want to be sure that they get the message here's are a couple of solutions that I can almost guarantee will work. The first although not may favorite as you will see in a moment is to go to your local barber shop and collect some hair clippings and spread them around the den. Should work just fine.

The next one is my hands down favorite. Go to the fridge, crack a couple of beers, kick back for a spell and enjoy. Then take a little stroll over to the den area. You might just as well take a frosty along for the walk too while you're at it. Once there relieve yourself around the den and your yote problem should be history.

Heck you may as well bring one for the walk back too. Who'd of thought solving a problem could be so enjoyable.

If you were to set up a trail camera you would probably see momma yote carting those pups away one by one, never to return.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: borkongas the den with the pups in it!!!!!!!!!

Why the hate borkin?

But I would agree with you if obama would crawl in the hole.

Originally Posted By: coloradobobBlitz,
The next one is my hands down favorite. Go to the fridge, crack a couple of beers, kick back for a spell and enjoy. Then take a little stroll over to the den area. You might just as well take a frosty along for the walk too while you're at it. Once there relieve yourself around the den and your yote problem should be history.

Heck you may as well bring one for the walk back too. Who'd of thought solving a problem could be so enjoyable.

If you were to set up a trail camera you would probably see momma yote carting those pups away one by one, never to return.

Enjoy!

by far the best idea
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

Most will move the pups atleast a 1/4 mile if you walk too close to the den, the first night. If she doesn't take a leak on the den, she probably would move then.

watch the little lap dog. Those are coyotes favorites. THey walk off all the time. Personally I would exterminate them but sounds like thats not an option where your at. You could check with your local game warden. Some states have exceptions to hunting seasons if you can prove that they are harming livestock, or other domestic animals. If all the small neighbor hood dogs start to disaper you may have a good case.

Originally Posted By: borkongas the den with the pups in it!!!!!!!!! Yes that would be a smart move, I can almost read the headlines now.

Originally Posted By: coloradobob

Followed your methodology to the letter this weekend. I actaully brought my little bro along and watched him test out his newly rebuild Stihl 460 over the top of the den; wood chips blasting right down the hole... LoL

I told him to "Watch out that b!tC# might come busting out that hole looking for a piece of your rear", he held the saw up and said "I bet she'll wish she didn't!"

Thanks for the advice guys, I don't expect to hear her and the pups howling in my back yard any time soon.

It was a good reason to throw back a High Life or six... Like I needed a reason with the wife and kids outta town
wink.gif
Been a while since I had a chance to down a few...

Originally Posted By: youngdonOriginally Posted By: borkongas the den with the pups in it!!!!!!!!! Yes that would be a smart move, I can almost read the headlines now.

Originally Posted By: borkonwhy, would the media be there
confused.gif

Trust me the "Tree Huggers" in my sub-division would flip if they found out about something like that. Of course they would be the first ones to B!tc# if one of their little pink bow wearing ankle bitters came up missing... I wrote earlier that I had a "Yorkie", HE sports a pink bow most of the time; my wife fits right in with all of the Prius driving LEFTS in my neighborhood. If opposites attract, my wife and I fit that roll to a "T". If she found out I burned a den of yote pups, she'd rally up all of her "Hugger" friends and help them light a fire under the stake I would be tied to.

She won't even step foot in my game room ("dead room" to her); my deer mounts are like bug repellant... My PERFECT SANCTUARY!!!

What would 2 bags of quick set cement do??????
8 yotes can eat alot of rabbits and turkeys and
house cats and chiwawas which the last 2 wouldn't be
too bad, no hate mail please just being funny....

Last edited:
If you feel this coyote den to present a danger to your pets then by all means take it out. You want the large gas cartridges and seal it tight and quickly. Set traps in case ma or pa is off from the den. Also if they do move most of the time it isn't more than 1/2 mile or so.

You will have no ill effect on the overall population by taking a coyote den! In fact you open up that area for younger coyotes to dispearse into come fall time, younger coyotes generally less agressive coyotes.

Back