Proof. Calling in the wind works!

CoyoteDoctor

The other CoyoteDocs and I went out last weekend to do some more calling and filming. The winds were sustained at 15-20MPH and gusting over 30MPH. This brought the windchill factor down to what the winds were gusting to, just put a minus in front of that number. We loaded up the ATV's(I couldn't talk my partners into calling from the pick-up) and headed out. Since it was windy we decided to stay high and call down into brushy draws where we figured the coyotes would be bedded down out of the wind. We were working along a ridge that over-looks a river bottom and is just beautiful coyote country. We walked out to the edge of a steep hill and sat down over the edge just barely out of the wind. CoyoteDoc3 set up on my left and CoyoteDoc1 was on my right. I got the video camera ready and radioed to CoyoteDoc3 to turn on the caller. As he turned the caller up to compete with the wind, I decided to hit record on the camera just in case there was something close. Good thing I did because the camera just started recording when CoyoteDoc3 radioed he had 2 coming hard from his left. I panned the camera quickly to the left and picked up the 2 dogs charging in. CoyoteDoc3 radioed he was on the lead dog and when they had closed to withing 50 yards he barked to stop him. As he barked I zoomed in close for a great kill shot. The second coyote bailed off the edge of the hill and was put into high gear by CoyoteDoc1 firing a warning shot. In the following picture, we were sitting just over the edge directly behind CoyoteDoc3. The two coyotes came from the patch of brush that is behind CoyoteDoc3's left hand. The coyote he shot stopped on the flat that is located behind the coyote's back left foot. We shot coyotes on three of the first five stands. When the wind finally went down that afternoon, our luck ran out. So now when the wind blows and it's minus double digits, I don't have a valid excuse to give the other CoyoteDocs to stay in where it's warm. All though watching that double charge in sure got my heart pumping.
The second picture is myself sitting on the ATV wishing it had a heater!
IM000871.jpg

IM000874.jpg

Whats up Doc?,
Looks like a big yote, I have been trying to get a cat for 2 weeks now & no luck. saw tracks on a creek bottom & trying to get one to come in but so far no luck. I started snaring a while ago, no luck west river in a bare summer pasture, but had my first 2 yesterday at Blue blanket. 3 snares there & 2 coyotes. the bad thing was 1 chewed through the cable. The other was fine exept a small bloody meaty spot were he must have rubbed the stake when he was fighting the cable. boy they sure tear up & twist the cable good. I am pulling my west river ones this week and going to do some coyote calling next.

dakotayote, id definately be going after cats if i were out west too cuz i heard there goin for $400 bucks. wish i could make a trip out west, one cat would pay for the trip.gluck.

Good job Doc.I think I could handle the wind Just not the wind chill.I don't think I would be able to move for all the hand warmers stuffed in all my pockets just trying to stay warm.

Back