Can I use anti-seize lube from an auto store on choke tubes?

LeviSS

I changed the brakes on my truck this weekend, so I bought a big thing of Permatex anti-seize for the caliper bolts. It was like $7 at Auto Zone.

That got me to thinking...is it the same stuff that you use on choke tubes, muzzle loader breech plugs, etc?

I didn't use it until I got around muzzleloaders, just oil. Now I use it just for extra insurance that the tube won't rust and seize.

Levi,
About any decent grease will work. I bought a big tube of Lucas brand x-tra heavy duty grease for high temperature applications for the hinge pins on my over/under shotguns and my choke tubes. Works just great and is a lot cheaper than the specialty choke tube grease sold in those little squeeze tubes at the gunshop.

Rusty,
You really should use a little grease on those threads. Take it from someone who personally suffered with a stuck choke tube in a very expensive barrel that a little dab of grease can save you some major problems.

Thanks GC. I guess I should check and see if it can be used in high temp. applications. It's cheaper and you get a lot more.

Anti-seize will work,but it's messy. The graphite will stain many things you touch by mistake. I like a bit of gun oil.
When changing chokes ,I allways wipe off the old lube and put on new.

The metallic anti-seize compounds are way better than any grease. They will lube at many times the pressure any grease lube will prevent seizure. Also their temperature ratings go up to 1500 degrees+ when even the highest rated petroleum lubes fail at 5-600 degrees.

True grease is normally adequate for any choke tube but better is better.

Jack

It seems most shotguns today have choke tubes. If your not greasing them you're in trouble sooner or later. I was hunting with some of my Canadian friends in Manitoba a few years back and one of them had won a nice Beneli. One after noon I took my Extreme fully apart to clean everything, (waterfowling in wet weather) and he asked if I'd clean his so I got to the choke tube and the sucker was stuck tight. Couldn't move it no matter what tricks I tried. I told him to go to a gun smith he'll have to get it out. He did and the tube was as rusty as could get. Since then I annually clean his stuff. Even using a little petroleum jelly will do also. Not as messy as anti sieze. I shoot trap and shoot between 6000 to 10,000 yearly. I do clean my chokes.

I think the main thing is to use some type of lube, oils or 'anti-sieze'. The next thing is to remove it once in a while & re-lube.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSThanks GC. I guess I should check and see if it can be used in high temp. applications. It's cheaper and you get a lot more.

If it was for brakes it will be plenty good for any temp...

Most anti-seize compounds are very messy to deal with. If you routinely remove and clean your chokes and threads, you can easily get by with synthetic gun oils. Anti-seize is better for a few thread types that have more of a tendency to lock up tight. Rust, carbon, and plastic buildup is more of a problem than heat as it relates to choke seizure. Chokes will not get all that hot even in a fast round of trap shooting.

I use a copper based anti-sieze for my chokes and breech plugs. It is messy if you get it on you, but after using it a few times you learn how to do it without the mess. I use Qtips to apply it to both. I went with it because I felt I could go longer without removing the choke and reapplying, I was worried about having to repattern my shotgun if I took the choke out and then put it back in. Anybody know if this is a ligitimate concern?

peace.
unloaded

If you are worried about not removing and regreasing your choke tubes often enough to keep them free, an excellent product that can last for years is; "high vacuum silicon grease". It will keep a steel on steel joint free from corrosion for years even in an unprotected outdoor exposure.

Jack

I use anti-seize on my MZ's. But I have never used any on choke tubes. I have some shotguns that have had choke tubes in them for close to 30 years. However I do keep them clean and use a good lubricant oil on my shotgun. I also make sure that I only put the choke tubes in finger tight. I do not over tighten them.

I have never read where any mfrs. recommend putting anti-seize on a shot gun choke. But I could have missed something. Does anyone have anything that shows where mfrs. suggest anti-seize?? Tom.

Originally Posted By: unloadedI use a copper based anti-sieze for my chokes and breech plugs. It is messy if you get it on you, but after using it a few times you learn how to do it without the mess. I use Qtips to apply it to both. I went with it because I felt I could go longer without removing the choke and reapplying, I was worried about having to repattern my shotgun if I took the choke out and then put it back in. Anybody know if this is a ligitimate concern?

peace.
unloaded

As long as you are using the same choke and load in the same barrel then the results should be the same.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI use anti-seize on my MZ's. But I have never used any on choke tubes. I have some shotguns that have had choke tubes in them for close to 30 years. However I do keep them clean and use a good lubricant oil on my shotgun. I also make sure that I only put the choke tubes in finger tight. I do not over tighten them.

I have never read where any mfrs. recommend putting anti-seize on a shot gun choke. But I could have missed something. Does anyone have anything that shows where mfrs. suggest anti-seize?? Tom.

I wouldn't want to use that nasty azz crap on any of my guns. A dab of oil is all that is needed on your chokes. A dab of grease on your breech plug. If your that concerned with things seizing up, you may want to clean your guns more often.

Yes, I use this:

IMGP0362.jpg

Friends use none:

IMGP0360.jpg

I apply it like this:

IMGP0361.jpg

It took me nearly 4 hrs to get that tube out, takes less than 30 seconds to apply anti-seize

Back