Diaphragm Howler help

Laker2110

I just added a diaphragm howler to my arsenal. I seem to be having trouble with air movement or maybe placement. I seem to be producing turkey clucks and elk bugles. Does tongue placement matter (tip vs middle)? What about placement in the mouth (forward vs rear)? any tips would appreciated.

Laker

Laker, I also have recently just started using diaphragm howlers. I had the same problem at first, but with some practice (a matter of minutes) I am producing the best howls I have ever been able to produce. I think I was just used to making turkey calls with a diaphragm. As far as barks, try to make yourself go: HUT, HUT. The howls were fairly easy after a few tries. I think I use the middle of my tounge, but its one of those things where I can do it, but I can't really tell you how I do it. I am using custom diaphragms though (Cooks Custom Calls), that might be the difference. Hope this helps.

-Dave

Last edited:
It takes some practice. If you've always used diaphragms for turkey calls it's almost instinct when you put it in your mouth to make turkey calls. After turkey season, if I put my howler diaphragm in it always takes a few minutes to "learn" again to make the coyote vocalizations. So, don't worry if your sounding like a turkey at first it will come to you with a little practice.

I'm having the same problem. I just got a diaphragm howler and still sound like a turkey. I haven't really tried, though, only a few minutes after it got to me. I've got the time to learn before "season" rolls back around.

Tell me about your diaphragm, what kind is it? How many reeds are in it? Does it have any cuts in the reeds.

If your having trouble sealing the air off try placing the call on your thumb, & sticking the call into the roof of your mouth, & pushing the call upward. This should help make sure that the call is formed to your mouth.

It is better to place the call futher back in your mouth, but don't go past a comfortable position. This will help you to get the full use of multiple reeds if you have them.

You can go through the motions of producing just about any animal sound with diaphragms, or any other type of call for that matter. You first need a call that is specifically voiced for your target animal, this will make it easier to produce the vocals you're looking for. If you have a diaphragm that sounds good as a turkey call then it will be harder for you to avoid the turkey sounds when trying to do coyote vocals, & vice versa. If you pop your lips when trying to do coyote vocals, then you will get cluck sounds everytime. Try to stay away from running "P" or "Y" sounds across the reeds when doing coyote vocals. Use "H" sounds such as "hut" & "hooOOOOOooooo" instead. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: jasonpredhunterIt takes some practice. If you've always used diaphragms for turkey calls it's almost instinct when you put it in your mouth to make turkey calls. After turkey season, if I put my howler diaphragm in it always takes a few minutes to "learn" again to make the coyote vocalizations. So, don't worry if your sounding like a turkey at first it will come to you with a little practice.

Exactly,I couldnt have said it better myself.
On a side note the howls achevied with a diaphram call are excellent and once mastered,lots of different tone and pitches can be easily done.
But where i find the diaphram really shines is in its ability to produce unreal canine distress sounds,pup wines etc.
IMO open read howlers and calls do this ok but a diaphram beats them hands down for this application.
Once the diaphram is mastered the realisim that can be achevied is second to none.

Does the vibration tickle the crap out of anybody elses tongue? To the point you can't stand it? Between that, and spraying slobber everywhere, I think I'm destined for failure.

Originally Posted By: AustinL911Does the vibration tickle the crap out of anybody elses tongue? To the point you can't stand it? Between that, and spraying slobber everywhere, I think I'm destined for failure.

I ordered a couple from Torry Cook (super nice guy); I'll let you know after I try them
lol.gif
! LOL Think we just need to practice more.

Arden

Thanks Swim Bait, diaphragms do take some practice, but you can get some super sounds out of them once you get the hang of using them.

AustinL911, if the reeds are tickling your tongue, you probably need to place the call a little further back in your mouth, & try not to use the tip of your tongue. Hope this helps.

Laker, I was just curious if the dias you were using were designed for howls, turkey vocals, or elk. I have some that are easy to blow & designed specifically for coyote vocals if you're interested. Just send me a pm.

Hey now, I have those primos diapharagms, actually just got them a couple weeks back, they aren't a bad sounding call. Although I am now getting into some other options.

It has also been several years since I operated a turkey diaphragm, so I didn't have that experience to help me when learning these.

What I did: Keep the call in your mouth, all the time, I always kept it in my mouth, you can keep it off to the side to get it out of the way, then move it into position like you are going to use it.

The more you have it in, the faster your mouth will learn that it is a call and it doesn't need to water so severely, this also helps you to get the movements down for the field. You can keep a diaphragm in your mouth the whole time, you can operate your open reed calls and keep the diaphragm in your cheek, then when you need to stop a dog, BOBs your uncle.

I love the sonic dome, I already wore a hole in my double howler, that sonic seemed to be easier for me to learn on as well. Although that green dome actually had the roof of my mouth bleeding a bit early on, I practiced non stop for 2 or so days in a row when I first got them.

Now I can just pop them in and it is natural for me to use them and move them around in my mouth, a lot less excess spit.

Back