Squirrel shooting in Oregon

Originally Posted By: prkrgrpshootn rats is well the worth the price, what a blast

Oh my good gosh yes indeed! Yesterday my buddies and I were out popping a few of them little nasties. We all had our accurate .22 rimfires and all of us had our .223 rifles as well. I had brought my .220 Swift loaded with 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I had these zinging at 4335 fps out the muzzle. Talk about impressive tosses! Anything close to being hit correctly was splattered everywhere. At todays prices I hate to use 40 grains of powder for each shot at whistlepigs, but hey, too much fun! My poor motorcycles are giving me The Finger every time I walk past them to go shoot some ground squirrels. I just cant get enough of them I don't think.

Hey Rustydust, what part of s.w. Idaho are you in? I've been shooting a lot of the little buggers too. Centerfires are a lot of fun. I've used .218 Bee, .222 Rem. and .204 Ruger. Fun to watch flying squirrels. I use my 10/22 a lot too.

Duane: Are you sure you need a license on private ground? Almost anything goes for an "agent of the landowner". I sure wouldn't do it without a thorough search but it seems that he may be alright on private. This info was listed on the ODFW site for rabbit hunting but I believe it also applies to ground squirrels as well.

"License requirements
You need a valid hunting license to hunt rabbit on public or private land. No other tag or validation is needed. If you are hunting on your own property or as the agent of
a landowner, no hunting license, tag or validation
is required"

You might want to check a little closer, Duane. It would be handy for your business to not have to require your clients to have a license.

tt

Seems like a handy bit of information for a "guide" to know ??

How many months are they out bfore they go back down for good ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: broperHey Rustydust, what part of s.w. Idaho are you in? I've been shooting a lot of the little buggers too. Centerfires are a lot of fun. I've used .218 Bee, .222 Rem. and .204 Ruger. Fun to watch flying squirrels. I use my 10/22 a lot too.

Hey- sorry it took so long to answer. I was not ignoring you, I just had not looked to see if anyone sent me a question.

I am in Emmett. Lots of them out here no more than 15 minutes or so from town. Would have gone out today but too windy. Supposed to be much less wind tomorrow so we be going then. I will be taking my a couple of .22 rimfires and I think maybe my AR-15 varminter. I got a new brass catcher for it and I want to try it out. I think that I will bring my .17 HMR as well for the 150 yard and less shots. Sure does a fine job on whistlepigs. We only got about one more month of good shooting before they start staying in their holes all day, so let's get out and get us a few more what say?

tt35,

I don't think it would be good at all for aclient to NOT have a license. As a paying client I would not want to walk the fine line of "an agent of the landowner", that would be the guide or ranch hand in my opinion, not me the customer.

If I was a client I would expect my guide to make me walk the line not skirt the issue.

Just my thoughts.

C

I don't really see it as "skirting the issue" at all. It's the way the law works in Oregon. An outfitter can easily make sure they and their clients are covered as "agents" especially in a case like Duane's where a lot of the land he hunts he also manages. Now if you plan to leave the private land to chase jacks, coyotes or other varmints, there is no skirting the law there either. You will be illegal. It really is pretty black and white so suit yourself. Just trying to help some fellow varmint shooters out!

tt

TT thanks for the info. You and I both know how it works.
grin.gif

My concern is with the issue that Big C mentioned.
"Agent of the landowner" That term can be a grey area. I have checked into it. I'm not willing to put a paying client into "grey area".
You are very correct that it would be great for buss not to have guys buy a license. I have lost some out of state clients, due to license cost.

Last edited:
The difference is when you collect a fee, the client is not an "agent" they are a "customer".
Anyone can do as they like on their outfit, but,I will not risk my guides license, or my bond.
Until I get written conformation from an ODFW Officer, that a "client" is an "agent", on private ground, I WILL REQUIRE A LICENSE.
Besides, then we can hunt anywhere, and not have to worry.

FYI page 9 of 2010 Oregon lawbook "Nonresidents must obtain a valid nonresident hunting license,or nonresident juvenile hunting license if 14 years of age or older."

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuThe difference is when you collect a fee, the client is not an "agent" they are a "customer".
Anyone can do as they like on their outfit, but,I will not risk my guides license, or my bond.
Until I get written conformation from an ODFW Officer, that a "client" is an "agent", on private ground, I WILL REQUIRE A LICENSE.
Besides, then we can hunt anywhere, and not have to worry.

FYI page 9 of 2010 Oregon lawbook "Nonresidents must obtain a valid nonresident hunting license,or nonresident juvenile hunting license if 14 years of age or older."

You are smart to obey the law and require your clients to get the proper licenses. The loss of your guides license is not worth the risk.

Check out my post "info on Oregon hunting license"
I finally got strait answers.
The abridged version, on private ground no license required so long as the land owner signs a statement that the shooter is an agent. Cost is irrellevant.
It took me a few weeks and many calls and emails to get this strait, but I NOW HAVE IT IN WRITING. Duane

Back