Leupold VX-3 (6.5x20x50) VH??

Buck_358

Does anyone have any input on the Leupold VX-3 6.5x20x50 with the varmint hunter reticle? Pro’s / Con’s??

This would be used on a Rem 700 LA - Custom 244-AI -

I have an older model Leupold same power range on my Rem 700 Heavy Varmint (22-250) w/duplex reticle and it works well.

I have Burris FF-II on a couple of Encores w/Ballistic Plex. For the new 700 build looking at the Leupold VH for what it offers.

Thanks

B..

Last edited:
You really need to supply a little more information. Information like what is it going on, and what will it be used for?? It is easier to give good information when we know what it will be used for.

Overall it is an excellent scope. However it may be too much for some circumstances, and not enough for others. Tom.

great glass. they are kinda bulky but thats to be expected with a scope with all of those features. varmint hunter reticle is not for me but i'm sure if you shoot it enough with the same load you'd learn to use them effectively. Most people opt for a lower power 20x is pretty high. i've got a leupold 6-20 and an 8-25 power that i hunt with. but i usually have a shotgun in my lap for the close shots.

i'm a leupold fan. CS has always been extraordinary.

(i'm pretty sure i'm overscoped in both power and quality but i dont ever worry about having a problem.)

The ret will calibrate on either 12x or 14x, depending on which load you run.

I had the same scope in 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. I owned the VX III's and never had a problem with them. I just sold my last one a few weeks back. Just upgrading to better glass.

With the VH reticle it really does not matter what power you use the reticle at. All that matters is that you know where your bullet impact is at whatever power you decide to use. All it really takes is some range time. And what better way is there to spend an afternoon??

The new VX-3 has better tracking than the old VXIII. So tracking should work better for you also.

I have one VH scope and one B&C scope. I like both of them. All it takes is a bit of time to work it out. If you take that time you will be happy with that decision. Tom.

I have the new Leupold 6.5-20X50 VH on my AR-15. The reticle takes some range time to get totally figured out like Hogghead said. The side focus has a bit of lash, but not bad. Tracking is good, but not exceptional, for this price range. The windage marks on the reticle are harder to work with than the range marks for me. If there had not been some recent price hikes for this model, I would have bought another. I am also very comfortable with the Mil-dot reticle, so I ended up with the Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMD for my custom Remy VLS. Except for the Mil-dot reticle, I like the Sightron better anyway you want to rate it. The Remy is my backup P-dog rifle for the Rock River Varmint A4.
100_0538.jpg
100_0541.jpg

100_0555.jpg
100_0561.jpg

I have the VH reticle in this rig--

img016.jpg

Savage Striker 243 WSSM. I shoot VLD's out of it and the zeros aren't even close to being intuitive for hundred yd. intervals. Not a problem really--just match the subtension of the reticle stadia to the trajectory via ballistic program, go out and test it, troubleshoot if necessary, then calculate the system in 50-yd. intervals. That's what i do at least. The windage in that reticle for my load even out of a handgun is about 1/2 of the design (the 10mph stadia points are 20 mph for my load).

SS is correct about the subtension (measurements) of that reticle is at a lower power than highest in the 6.5-20. But i read somewhere that with the higher BC bullets at high velocity the subtensions were better (more intuitive) at 20x--at least they were for some guy that posted that info. The 3 short windage stadia (@ 1.77 MOA--@ highest calibrated power)) along the reticle's horizontal axis would be great for the guy that spins a turret for elevation and uses the reticle for windage. I actually killed a coyote at 535 yds. with that reticle in my Striker in a 10 mph full value wind once several years ago using the 115 DTAC bullet. Had to aim--right here, at 3.8 subtension units down and 0.5 windage--

reticle_varmhunt2edit.jpg

Last edited:
I have four of them and I like them a lot. However, I like the fine plex's that I have a lot too.

All of them are mounted on Coopers that are strictly PD rifles. Pretty much my go-to rigs.

I usually spin the turrets on my Leup VH scopes (one 6.5-20X and one 8.5-25X) when shooting rockchucks but I do use the reticle when sniping jacks at long range. The jackrabbits just don't stand around long enough for turret adjustments. That being said, I have no idea why Leupold calibrated these scopes for less than full power. It's beyond me but as stated before, they will still work if you figure out where you're hitting with your load at full power. I did use the windage dot on the main crosshair on a 420 yard 'chuck the other day. It helped dial in on him but the dot was a little hard to see for my old eyes on a darker colored 'chuck. Might be easier on pd's??

Three years ago a fellow had Gander Mountain order a 8.5-25X50 LRT VH and then never showed up to get it. Since it was $300 under retail I bought that model. Anyway, I took it on a p-dog hunt the following year and ended up using the turrets instead of the reticle. That's me though, I love magnification.

I have one in the 4.5-14-40 mm and love it, they are different to get use too spend the time and you will have a deadly scope. I have it mounted on a 22-250, I recently bought a Nikon Coyote special and love it too, They are all good I am a big fan of the VH reticals I have shot them since they come out. I want to get the BC for my deer rifle and elk rifle too. If they perform like the Vh you can't go wrong. Good luck

Back