A howling good time this morning. (Pics)

TonyTebbe

Coyotes weren't very interested in rabbit distress, this morning, but they sure ate up the howling and coyote distress. On one of our first stands, we had a big male coyote that was only 15 yards on my left. His hackles raised when the dogs spotted him. We were just getting ready for an impressive show, but Bang! A 20 yard shot was a little too close for my client and he missed it. My ears are still ringing from it.
smile.gif
But, what an awesome stand. The big male had a split ear and stood there scanning for the rival coyote that he heard, for what seemed like an eternity. One of the cooler stands that I've been on.

I grabbed my new camera to take to the rest of our stands, hoping to get some good pictures. A couple of stands later, this pretty female came in on my side (both ignored any wind direction) and posed for some pictures. Same deal as before, ignored 10 minutes of rabbit, but slipped right in on challenge howls and ki-yis. My client couldn't take the shot, as it was too close to me. I sent the dogs out after her, but she wanted nothing to do with decoying.

Here's some pics:

"Who is doing all that howling?"
coyotehowlfemale1.jpg

"I'll stare right through you....Flinch or something."
coyotehowlfemale5.jpg

"Hey...What was that?"
coyotehowlfemale2.jpg

"Just me...Bring it!"
dixiesandhill1.jpg

"Eeeek...see ya!"
coyotehowlfemale3.jpg

It got pretty hot around noon, so we headed in for a Ciesta. Heading back out this afternon for Round 2.

Thought I'd share with yall.

Tony

Nice photos Tony! Can't wait to come to Lovington and hunt coyotes with you. I promise that I will try and not miss. If they are standing still, well all I can say is that they will be "DRT" taking that dirt nap. I have a pooch, but then again a Toy Poodle just can't cut the mustard when it comes to hunting 'yotes. Good luck, good calling, and always remember to squeeze that trigger real easy!

Thanks all.

Brent, looking forward to spending time on stands with you. I'll have your howler finished up, after I'm done hunting on Friday. I posted pictures of it being built Hand Calls forum, just need to do a few more steps on it.

Kirby, it's a Canon DSLR 350D with a Tamron 70-300 meter lens. Coyote was about 60-65 yards or so.

newcamera.jpg

Tony

Nice pics Tony, I really like the first pair as they show the intensity in the stare. Hate to give you another business but you need to enlarge them and sell them.

Tony I was just thinking about your photos. To be able to focus on the subject so clearly and have the background distorted is the sign of an excellent photographer. When I was real yong my uncle put a camera in my hand and showed me the ropes. Later I purchased a Hasselblad, which set me back a few grand, and photographed weddings, nature scenes and all sorts of things and this camera made me look good. Looking at your gear, you have some nice stuff there and know how to use it. Mabe we'll some some of your prints in the National Geographic magazine. Keep up the good work Tony.

Awesome Pics!

I thought the terrain looked familiar in your pics, and saw that you're in Lovington. Seeing these pics is good news for me since I'll be in Hobbs at the end of June visiting my father (who's working out there) and thoroughly plan on waxing some of your coyote and jack rabbit population.

Keep up the good work.

Tony,
I don't know if the camera is making you look good or you are making the camera look good. They are outstanding pics. Thanks for sharing...

Dear Tony:

Everyone should wear ear plugs when shooting/hunting (and mowing the yard); surprised you don't.

An interesting subject on same in the last issue of Shooting Times by Greg Rodriguez who finally had some custom plugs made after guiding hunting clients for an 18 month period ...damage was done by then as it can happen from one highpower or shotgun round.

Get some custom plugs made, they allow conversation/game sounds and yet block out the harmful low frequency e.g. gunshot sounds.

I wear the foam plugs when hunting groundhogs here in OH w/ high power calibers and doing so doesn't diminish my success or enjoyment. In fact, my visual sense seems enhanced to make up and I "see" more.

Back