wtb nightforce scopes

napton

Looking at getin a nightforce for my 257wb really dont know wich one to get thought any thoughts.

Last edited:
Napton, you probably need to let us know what you are hunting under what conditions and ranges to see what's the best to top off your rifle with.

All NightForce are excellent, but they can have pretty specific uses.

coyotes and deer. well here in baker mt it is allways windy and i would be shooting from 200 to 600 yards. maybe further at targets.

You need something good then.

I have an NXS 3.5-15x50F1. It's geared toward hunting, especially with the MilDot Reticle that's in it.
It has Zero Stop capabilities as well, so you can go to cranking 100 moa for very long range targets/hunting, then crank them back down to zero with no loss of zero. (Yes, it's that good.)

There may be other NightForce scopes that fill the bill, but sounds like we hunt about the same conditions. I love the one on my rifle. Second to none.

With coyote hunting, especilly taking running shots I want a reticle that's bold enough to not have to hunt for it when I engage the animal, but fine enough for very prescision work at long ranges. That reticle & scope fill the need very nicely.
It you have not looked through a nice First Focal Plane reticle scope, you need to. (That's the "F1" denotation on the NightForce.)
They are not even fair on running coyotes.
thumbup1.gif

EuroOptics, a sponsor here has some great NightForce scopes in stock. Call Alex there. Very knowledgeable guy.
smile.gif

Barry

Thanks a lot for the help with the scopes i will go look at eurooptics and look around. Thanks again for the help Matt

Napton,
After owning & shooting through most every NXS scope, I'd steer you toward the 2.5-10x32 for a hunting rig. It is not too heavy, not too big on the bell and just enough magnification to hit what you need out to 600yds. Maybe opt for the exposed zero stop turrets, so you have them at the ready to dial your elevation correction for the longer pokes. But don't feel slighted if going for the covered turrets, they are just as accurate and just as repeatable...

You certainly do not need a FFP reticle for hunting. Although I've used FFP scopes for killin' coyotes, they really are not necessary or worth the added expense for a hunting rig. I have FFP optics on my tactical rifles, and only take them hunting for a goof on occasion. But again, entirely un-necessary for 98.6% of hunting shot opportunities...

As for dialing elevation, the 2.5-10x NXS has 100moa of internal adjustment. That means if your scope is mechanically centered, there is 50 MOA of adjustment available UP from center and 50 MOA available DOWN from center. Given your chambering, (.257wby mag), you'll prolly need less than 25MOA to get you to 1,000 yards. So there is plenty of travel there...

Another reason to go with the 2.5-10X Compact is that the smaller objective allows you to mount the scope lower on the receiver. That translates into you having a more positive & comfortable cheek weld on a hunting stock...

Also, in lieu of having a side parallax adjustment, the 2.5x10X Compact has it's reticle illumination rheostat exposed as a turret on the left side of the housing. I've found that feature more advantageous on a general hunting scope than a side focus.

Just my $.02...

Originally Posted By: knockemdownNapton,
After owning & shooting through most every NXS scope, I'd steer you toward the 2.5-10x32 for a hunting rig. It is not too heavy, not too big on the bell and just enough magnification to hit what you need out to 600yds. Maybe opt for the exposed zero stop turrets, so you have them at the ready to dial your elevation correction for the longer pokes. But don't feel slighted if going for the covered turrets, they are just as accurate and just as repeatable...

You certainly do not need a FFP reticle for hunting. Although I've used FFP scopes for killin' coyotes, they really are not necessary or worth the added expense for a hunting rig. I have FFP optics on my tactical rifles, and only take them hunting for a goof on occasion. But again, entirely un-necessary for 98.6% of hunting shot opportunities...

As for dialing elevation, the 2.5-10x NXS has 100moa of internal adjustment. That means if your scope is mechanically centered, there is 50 MOA of adjustment available UP from center and 50 MOA available DOWN from center. Given your chambering, (.257wby mag), you'll prolly need less than 25MOA to get you to 1,000 yards. So there is plenty of travel there...

Another reason to go with the 2.5-10X Compact is that the smaller objective allows you to mount the scope lower on the receiver. That translates into you having a more positive & comfortable cheek weld on a hunting stock...

Also, in lieu of having a side parallax adjustment, the 2.5x10X Compact has it's reticle illumination rheostat exposed as a turret on the left side of the housing. I've found that feature more advantageous on a general hunting scope than a side focus.

Just my $.02...

+1.

Well said.
thumbup1.gif

I think the new Velocity Reticle that Matt mentioned in his first post is a great reticle too. Very cutting edge stuff there. I've looked through a NightForce with the reticle & it appears fantastic. Not shot one though.

The reason I mentioned the F1 Mildot is because I personally get along with it very well. Not because it's not the cheapest out there, or because it has only tactical applications, because it doesn't.
I personally don't own a "tactical rifle". I used to have a couple, but mine are all hunting rifles now.

It seems to me that when something is lauded as being fantastic under "tactical" situations, then it would really stand out for hunting applications as well.
Now, in my opinion, targets are a totally different matter. If I want to do serious target competition, I'll want a very fine, precise reticle that allows me to pinpoint where the bullet is going to hit without covering any more of the target than needed.
I think it may be my eyes that lends me to love the F1 scopes. I don't have to hunt for the crosshairs when things get fast and furious.

Plus, if a scope has ranging capabilities, I don't want to be limited to just ONE power setting. I think it's great that the F1 works of ALL power settings.

The 3.5-15x50 is a 'beefy' scope. Not overly so, but bigger than the 2.5-x32 you mentioned. I just personally like more lens on the business end than 32mm. Again, just a personal choice.

On my bolt guns, like you guys, I want the scope as close to bore as possible. On AR's it's gonna be off the bore, so why not go with a large objective?

I took off a 3-9x40 Leupold and went with a 3-9x50 Bushnell Elite on my Sav. M10FP. It does fantastic as well. It's the only rifle I have that will shoot with my custom AR with the F1 NightForce on it.

As Matt said, he needs to go to the site and browse the choices. There's lots of them. Thank God we are not stuck with just a couple. Everyone is different in what they need & like. Thank goodness we are not stuck with having to use the old "deer rifle" scopes that we had to use in the past.
thumbup1.gif

Barry

After looking i am going to go with the NXS 3.5-15x50 with the NP-R2 RETICLE and zero stop turrets. I thank u Barry Superseal and Knockemdown. Once i get it i will let u know how it dose and how i like it. Matt

I'd personally op for the NPR1, but that's my opinion and what I run on my rifle(s).

1 moa vertical and 2 moa horizontal.

NPR2 is 2 moa vertical and 5 moa horizontal.

As Barry mention, contact Alex Roy, he's excellent to deal with. I had a chance to meet Alex at the World Predator Expo and he was great to speak with. I'll be ordering another NF from him shortly.

NF is suppose to be coming out with a 20 moa knob and 10 Mil knobs this month or next. The current ones are 10 moa or 5 mils. If you're not in a hurry to buy a NF right now, I'd wait for them, though, I don't know how much the "New" knobs will run. Hopefully they don't jack it up too much.

You'll love the NF's, I run them on my LR target rifles. They're heavy, wouldn't be my 1st choice for a light weight hunting gun. 2.5-10*32 = about 19oz if I recall correctly and the 3.5-15/5.5-22 = 32-33oz. 2lbs of extra weight...

Your welcome, napton.
I offered my opinion based simply on your information given. You stated a desire for a NXS scope suited for a .257Wby mag...

Given that chambering, I automatically assume "bolt gun" and "hunting rifle", since I've never seen an AR chambered in a 'Wby-anything' and know that chambering to be tooo much of a barrel burner to be realistcally used as a precision (tactical) rifle or paper puncher. The hotrod is a killer!

So I wasn't trying to steer you into a scope just because I own that particular optic. Matter of fact, I don't even own that particular NXS Compact anymore. I sold it to a gentleman who wanted a NXS for his custom .30-06 hunting rifle. SAME application as yours (hint, hint)...

If you do decide you want the extra 11 oz. of scope (19 vs. 30) and larger objective of the full sized NXS 3-15x50, then do yourself a favor and get either the NP-R1 reticle (MOA based) or MLR (mrad based)...

As SS stated above, the NP-R1 is much more useable than the R2, if you are an "MOA guy". But for a mrad based reticle, the MLR reticle from Nightforce breaks the traditional Mildot reticle down into more precise subtensions, therefore much more usable & desirable in that regard...

I own a few other ultra high end scopes that I absolutely LOVE, but won't boast for any of them since they just ain't the ideal tool for your particular job. So I'll not attempt to justify them to you (and intrinsically to myself at the same time).
Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with a NXS...

Back