Portable Shooting Bench

whit223

Hey guys, I'm looking for a portable shooting bench. What are the pros and cons of the ones that you fellows use. I guess I'm shopping and at this point, I don't what to compare. As a foot-note, I realize this may not be the proper forum to ask this question, however I did a search and came up with nothing, and don't really see the forum here for this question.

Thanks,
whit

I have been using a homemade bench that is just like the one pictured in tt35's post. It is nice and stable. to disassemble you just screw the legs off. It's easy to assemble and take back apart. Works great for taking to the range in your truck but its kinda heavy. I don't think I would want to carry it too far.

I use the Big Shooter Pivoting Bench. Very well built and steady. I use mine alot and have no complaints. My brother lives in Minneapolis so I didn't have to pay shipping. I wanted a pretty sturdy one as I am no lightweight. I also made a top out of plywood and some laminate I had laying around and a woodworking friend gave me a restaurant table top that had a flaw in it so i can build some cheap benches for others at my range. Dave

I have two portable shooting benches, a home made one and one made by Royal Stuckey out in Wyoming; his bench is about as good as it gets.
The legs on the Stuckey bench screw off for carrying, and the top lays flat in the back of my truck, allowing for other gear to sit on top of it. The Top understructure is substantial to say the least. I think you could make something like his using pipes for legs.
The thing that's important for me is that the bench must be sturdy. His is STURDY..

Bench.jpg

Martyn: Looks like a handle wellded onto one of the legs?? Do the legs attach to the top or do you band them together and carry them by the one handle? Good idea either way.

I have a portable bench made by doa tactical in Utah. Very sturdy table and Brent is great to work with out there. I shoot more now than I ever have. I would highly recommend.

Originally Posted By: tt35Martyn: Looks like a handle wellded onto one of the legs?? Do the legs attach to the top or do you band them together and carry them by the one handle? Good idea either way.

tt,

The legs are banded together and carried separately from the top.
The total weight of top and legs is 70#.
It is ONE awesome bench.
The understructure beneath the top is something to behold; exceptionally well designed and fabricated.
It's professionally made shooting table, one that will stand the test of many years of hard use.

Martyn

I like that handle idea. Might "borrow" it for the legs on my homemade bench! (Sorry to the OP for jacking the thread. I'm out!)

tt

Kind of like the ones above, the legs unscrew and snap to the bottom for easy tranporting and weighs about #14..and about 3 hours worth of work!!

002-28.jpg

005-16.jpg

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802 I think you could make something like his using pipes for legs.

Bench.jpg

The bench is nice but I'd rather have the truck!!!
Talk about a clean one owner? Nice!!!

Back on topic,,, my friend made a bench similar with threaded pipe for legs.
He used threaded caps for the feet and threaded couplers welded to an angle iron triangle for the top..
It's super strong.. Way stronger than my Booger bench.
I'd love to buy one of the guy in Wyomings benches, but the price along with whatever shipping 70# costs is a pretty tough nut to crack..
To bad because I really like to support the little guys..

Here's my friends bench..
DSCF6073.jpg

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802I have two portable shooting benches, a home made one and one made by Royal Stuckey out in Wyoming; his bench is about as good as it gets.
The legs on the Stuckey bench screw off for carrying, and the top lays flat in the back of my truck, allowing for other gear to sit on top of it. The Top understructure is substantial to say the least. I think you could make something like his using pipes for legs.
The thing that's important for me is that the bench must be sturdy. His is STURDY..

Bench.jpg

Let's see. 1 1/4" plywood top with 1 1/4" floor flanges screwed to hadrwood wedges underneath that are themselves glued and screwed to the top and 1 1/4" black pipe legs with caps on the bottom? Just like I have, made my own! Very very sturdy!

The stuckey bench is NOTHING like cheapo pipe flanges and wedges. Nor is it like the custom made leg nipples. It is a full-blown angle iron frame with collars welded in the corners. the collars have a special floating nut system that lock up more solid than pipe threads. Like comparing a yugo to a caddy.......

I copied the stuckey bench, but added feature that makes it better for my use. a carpeted cooling shelf underneath holds rifles and ammo out of the sun.

HPIM3736.jpg

Nah, it ain't a fancy pivoting model, but I ain't so fat, lazy or old and decrepitatated that I can't stand up and pivot it manually to change directions......

I currently use a MTM bench...It`s plastic, has folding legs and weighs in at around 17-18lbs.

Not the sturdiest bench i`ve ever used, but easy to set up/fold down, and carry away.

I use a 5 gal. bucket with a swivel top from Cabelas($10.00) as a seat,it also doubles as an ammo/garbage carrier.

The bench stores nice and flat too......

Originally Posted By: huntsman22The stuckey bench is NOTHING like cheapo pipe flanges and wedges. Nor is it like the custom made leg nipples. It is a full-blown angle iron frame with collars welded in the corners. the collars have a special floating nut system that lock up more solid than pipe threads. Like comparing a yugo to a caddy.......

I copied the stuckey bench, but added feature that makes it better for my use. a carpeted cooling shelf underneath holds rifles and ammo out of the sun.

HPIM3736.jpg

Nah, it ain't a fancy pivoting model, but I ain't so fat, lazy or old and decrepitatated that I can't stand up and pivot it manually to change directions......

What are the legs made from? And where they screw into the table, it must be some type of pipe collar used? What keeps the legs fron digging into the ground. The first bench I made I used to small legs, 3/4" pipe, and it was wobbly. They screwed into pipe collars welded to a 1/3" steel plate screwed to the bottom of the table and I welded steel balls into the bottom of the legs to keep them fron sinking. Of course it only worked in ideal conditions, had to be hard dirt and dry. The table worked but was wobbly. The one I use now just might hold up that pickup with four like it. The pipe caps keep the legs from sinling to bad. Will still do it on soft dirt though. I doubt that my table, legs and top, weight 30#. That Stucky is a nice looking table. Work with a lawn chair or 5 gal bucket?

Originally Posted By: huntsman22The stuckey bench is NOTHING like cheapo pipe flanges and wedges. Nor is it like the custom made leg nipples. It is a full-blown angle iron frame with collars welded in the corners. the collars have a special floating nut system that lock up more solid than pipe threads. Like comparing a yugo to a caddy.......

HPIM3736.jpg

Awesome bench you made!! GREAT job..

Huntsman 22, what did you use to attach the scope to the clamp? I have a table simular to yours that I made. The cooling compartment is a good idea.

Back