Digital cameras ?

RJM Acres

I know lots of you take pictures while out hunting.
I have an older digital camera and am thinking about getting
a new and better one that I can use both for business and
also out in the fields. I don't want a real complicated one
but one that is just complicated enough that my wife doesn't
want to use it. She tends to put them in odd places and then
we can't find it for weeks or months.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Nikon SLR with different lenses
for close ups and also good telephoto.

The nikons are great cameras, ya might wanna check out costco. They have some great prices on the slr's as a kit. My wive's canon we bought there and it was came with the 18-55 lens, telephoto lens and a bag. All in all i believe we saved about 200 bucks with buying as the package.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresThanks for the info.
Whats Costco ?

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC3-Cat79&pos=2&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=83&eCat=BC|79|83&lang=en-US

Thanks.
I'd heard of CostCo before, sort of.
Don't think they have those in the midwest.

Guess I better to some research.
I have a ton of 35mm equipment and most of that stuff
is Minolta and a Canon. Not exactly why I'm fixated on
the Nikon cameras right now.

I think if you chose nikon, you'd be very happy with it. They make some very good equipment. I'm not much of a camera nut but i enjoy a good picture.

I'm not much of a camera nut either but grew up in a family
that was. We even had our own darkroom in the house.

I don't take that many pictures normally but have a few
clients that occasionally need some pictures taken and
once in awhile I shoot a few pictures around the farm
and surrounding area. While my current old Olympus takes
adequate pictures, it doesn't take great pictures. But
then again, neither do I. I'm kind of a poor photographer.

I'm slowly replacing certain toys and needed items.

Picked up a new digital voice recorder yesterday that will
record mp3 format.

Mainly for business but I would really like to get a good
sound recording of a few common sounds around our place.
I really want a good recording of the wild dogs when they
are working themselves up into a killing frenzy. That will
make the hair on your neck stand up. Also want to get a
recording of mama bear and her cubs when they come rumbling
and grumbling on their daily journey to and from the river.
I'm hoping the new recorder will work for that.

Theres a few other sounds that I have no clue as to what's
making them. Hopefully with a good recording we might be
able to figure it out.

check out the lumix-DMCZS3 25mm-350mm leica glass lenze 10.1 megapixel and if you set to 3 mg.pixel the zoom is 21X and at 10 mg.p. it is 12x. thezs3 is last years model and has a vid. button that you just press to shoot vid. camera video.has anti shake for pic,s and video. i have a cannon elf with 3 mg pix. and it is not even close to the panasonic lumix.i will try to give a couple of links with info on the camera.one is from the uk. and the model # is different but the camera is the same. check out the video sample, it is great
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ZS3/ZS3A.HTM
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz7_review/
check them out

got mine on amazon.com for 230.00 but the price has been going up. my son got it for me as a birthday gift and liked it so much he bought his own and when 2 friends saw what it did for the price they bought them also john

Do you want a SLR or a DSLR? I would think that the extra money you spend on a DSLR you would recover in the cost of film and developing. I have always owned canons and been very happy with all of them but all of the brands have there highs and lows just like everything else I have friends with nikons that love them also.

our police department bought a bunch of the Nikon L100's and they are great for the price. very basic but decent

RJMA, DSLR technology is superb and very affordable. And like a lot of things, there are just too many good choices available. I'll relate a bit of my decision making process for you.

First, I needed a camera to share with my wife. We were longtime users of Minolta SLRs and had used a variety of small pocket digitals of various brands.

Second, I had my eyes on Nikon's D200. However, when my wife looked, it was huge in her hands.

Third, when I looked at many Nikons and Canons with suitable resolutions, I noticed they user similar LCD displays on the top of the body. My Dad had a Canon like that once and the display was extremely difficult to see in full sunlight.

To make a long story short, I ended up buying a Sony Alpha 100. Good in the hand with good controls. It was available with a 18-200mm zoom.

I ended up using it for a couple of years until my daugther needed one for college so I passed it on to her and bought an X700 with a 18-250mm lens. The X700 is faster (frames per sec) and has better controls.

Both of them have given us good service in a variety of uses all over the world.

Thanks everyone.
Guess I need to do some more research on the cameras
and then head to a bigger city that has more selection
to look at and try.

Pretty hard to go wrong with a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

I have an ancient Nikon D70S that I'm very happy with.

With that said, it rarely goes out hunting with me. I take it when I don't take a rifle, but if I take a rifle, the DSLR stays home and I carry a tiny little Canon point and shoot with me. The DSLR's are kind of bulky to be packing around IME.

If I'm hiking or doing anything like that in a scenic area, I take the DSLR. Just not when I'm also packing a rifle.

I just picked up a Canon DSLR off of eBay, last week. It's 8 megapixel, came with 3 lenses, including a 70-300mm zoom, filters, batteries, extra memory cards. Paid $350 for it and very, very pleased with the pictures.

newcamera.jpg

I have a client coming in today, to go calling the next 3 days. I'll be toting the camera and hoping to get some good action pics.

Tony

Back