Need 22-250 load help

Smokin250

I just got into reloading recently and have been trying to do as much researching as i can. I currently am loading for my rem 700 sps varmint 22-250. I believe it is 1:14 twist. My first load was out of a sierra manual. 35.7 gr of IMR 4064 with 55gr v-max. Second load was 34.9 gr of IMR 4064 with 55 gr v-max again. Went out to test them two nights ago...and well they were not what i were hoping for. All rounds functioned fine, but were over 1 inch at 100 yards...maybe 1.25 or 1.5 actually. Shot a 5 shoot group with factor hornady 55gr v-max and could cover up 4 of them with dime, 5th shot was a little off....shooter error. so i know gun shoots great...just trying to figure out loads. I will try and get pictures of groups up soon.

IF anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Varget is my powder of choice in my 22-250, 36.5 grains. With a 50gr moly vmax it sets off the chrony at 3800fps. With neck sized federal brass and cci250 primers it makes a ragged 5 shot hole at 100yds. My buddy who shoots a remington vsf in 22-250 loads 36gr of H380 and its a 1 hole gun with 50gr vmax and 250 primers. Good luck with finding that sweet load for your gun.

ruger300

honestly your gonna have to just work up a load for your specific rifle. when i started loading for my 22-250 (Savage 11FCNS, 22" with 1:12" twist) i asked what others were using but eventually to get my precision i had to work up a load. i decided on 55 gr V-Max so went to the Hornady reloading manual for reference. for your 1:14 twist barrel i suggest maybe a 50 gr bullet of your choice.

i used Varget powder cause i heard good things. in the Hornady manual it states certain powder weights at 30.8, 31.7, 32.7, 33.6 and 34.6 grains of Varget with the 55 gr V-Max. i loaded 5 rounds at each powder weight with the COAL of the standard 2.350". shot all weights with cleaning in between each 5 shot string powder weight. once i found which grouped the best i did it in increments of .2 gr up and down. my rifle shot best with 34.6 gr so i loaded 34.0, 34.2, 34.4, 34.6, 34.8, 35, 35.2 grains-5 rounds each. Cleaning in between again. my rifle shot best with 35.2 and 34.6 gr.

then i i measured my COAL to see the length to where the bullet touchs rifling. then loaded 5 rounds starting from the length touching rifling back in increments of .010". shot those and now i was done.

my key round is 34.6gr Varget, 55gr V-Max, CCI 200, Remington brass and COAL of 2.346". the COAL is way back from rifling in my gun. in light to no wind i can ring a 10" plate all day at 546 yds. this is also attributed to lots of trigger time. this is excellent for a 22" sporter weight barreled rifle.

here are some pics 6 weeks ago with my well used(nearly 2000 rds) Savage. it still groups great.

target1.jpg

target2.jpg

and here she is
11FCNSrCAMO.jpg

Last edited:
I shot the best group of my life with my Sako 22-250, the load as follows...

55 grain Nosler ballistic tips
36 grains of IMR 4895 velocity 3600
New Win cases.
Fed match primers

Hey Ed! How are things in the P burg area? Grizz

Smokin250, you are just going to have to work up a load for your rifle. Start off about mid way between the recommended minimum and max charge and increase your powder charge .5g at a time, shoot only 3 shots at a time.

Don't expect a red hot barrel to shoot tiny groups.

I cool my barrel with a solution of 50/50 water & rubbing alcohol on a rag...you want the solution dripping off the bottom of the barrel...oil the barrel when you get home if it is a blued barrel.

What everyone else says. Pick a Powder and adjust the load until the group shrinks. If that powder doesn't do it, try another. The bullet you are using has already shown you it will perform.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTWhat everyone else says. Pick a Powder and adjust the load until the group shrinks. If that powder doesn't do it, try another. The bullet you are using has already shown you it will perform.

I have alwyas had better luck with the hornady 55 gr, rather than 50 gr. Seems that alot of people are having good luck with the noslers top, might have to order some. So basically it sounds like you can work up a good load with most powders...just have to find which load my rifle likes? Also i keep hearing people talking about seating the bullet right where the rifling starts. I used my hornady manual for measurements. Max. case lenght 1.912" and max COL being 2.350" How do i deviate from this safley? BTW i am using a CCI 200 with different types of brass that i have shot through my gun previously...winchester white box, silver tips, federal, remington, and hornady. Was always under assumption that brass fired through gun was best, being that it was fire formed...?

Like the Master Gunny said,
MY opinion,
Get a good reloading manual,
read it thoroughly;

Keep it simple...

Pick one powder,
one primer,
one bullet,
one type brass,
Start at Book COAL.
Adjust loads for best groups,
then adjust COAL.

Some 22-250's actually like a bit of a jump to the lands.

If none of this works, you can ask for a refund for what you paid for this advice.

I've owned 4 22-250's and currently still have a modified Rem 700 VLS and a Kimber 84M Classic. The best groups I ever got from any of my rifles was with Winchester brass, CCI 200 primer, Benchmark and a Nosler 55 grain BT. All rifles have a 14 twist. Out of the VLS this load shoots one very small hole at 100 yards.

I have a policy of not giving the powder charge on the net so you'll have to start low and work up.

Smokin 250:

A couple of posts here need correction/clarification..

While the maximum case length on a 22/250 is 1.912, the "trim-to" length is 1.902; I usually trim mine to around 1.905- 1.910 range.

The bullet typically should NOT be seated on the lands for best accuracy; one may encounter pressure spikes when doing that, especially with a maximum load/55 grain bullet in the 22/250.

Instead, start seating in the range of .010 off the lands (5 cartridges) and load 5 more cartridges at .015 off, and load 5 more at .020 off the lands. See which ones group the best. You may wish to measure the COAL of those factory rounds that grouped so well (if you didn't shoot them up already) and duplicate that dame seating depth with the same bullet in your reloads.

Your load of 36 gr. of IMR 4064 sounds a bit stiff to me w/ a 55 gr. bullet; check your manual on that but you may have better results starting at 33 grains to 34.5 grains.

There are a lot of good powders for the 250 (IMR 4064, IMR 4895, Ramshot Big Game as noted, and AA 2230), but keep working with the omes you have.

Last edited:
I shoot a Rem 700 22/250 SPS w/26" Hvy BBL. I use 34gr. of Benchmark to push a .55 Nosler about 3700 FPS. Sub MOA @ 100yds. 4" groups @ 400yds. Just took my first Yote with one yesterday.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEI shot the best group of my life with my Sako 22-250, the load as follows...

55 grain Nosler ballistic tips
36 grains of IMR 4895 velocity 3600
New Win cases.
Fed match primers

Hey Ed! How are things in the P burg area? Grizz

Hi Griz, Doing good here, lots of dogs, having trouble as of late getting them to come to the call, hear about 30 dogs 2-3 times a week down in the bottom????????????? Hope you are doing good, you miss Bush yet??????? I Do. ed

Back when Dupont was making IMR 4895 it was my go to powder. I bought it in 8lb kegs but when I got back into calling I got another 22-250 and tried my old load. It was just too hot. The powder is not exactly the same.

About seating the bullet to the lands.........For a hunting load that's a mistake. With changing temps in the field you can chamber a round for a stand and then get nothing in. When you go to extract the round the bullet will stay in the barrel and the powder will spill in the action.

My go to load for my Ruger 77 HB Varminter 1 - 14 twist is as folows .

Brass - Winchester
Powder - N140 35.5 Grs.
Primer - CCI 200
Bullet - Sierra 52 Gr Holow Point, Boat Tail, Match

DAB

Back