20 vs. 22 or 24 inch barrel and accuracy?

Originally Posted By: mdicksorry about the bad (terrible) info of 200 fps drop with shorter bbl. my error!

I would also add that it matters what you plan to be hunting to some degree. If you are looking at coyotes and prairie dogs, 223 is better IMO - no reason for the 308 then. I'd also look for a faster twist barrel to be able to shoot heavier bullets to reach out better at distance and have more punch for yotes.
MY OPINION - if you include deer, then 308 would be better (not the ONLY choice as MANY folks have shot 223 with good bullets on deer sized game). ALso, check your state regs on that. some states don't allow a .224 sized bullet on big game.

That is not bad velocity info at all, it was an industry standardized figure for over twenty years. It is an average for factory ammo versus barrel length and for the most part it is correct all things considered.

I ran into the same situation with my kids and found that a Remington model 7 in .243 was a good solution for us.

Most shorter barrels are more accurate then the longer tubes due to barrel harmonics and controlled vibration. The only trade off would be velocity but most of us don't shoot game animals past 300 yards anyways so realy it's not that big of a deal.

Originally Posted By: AZcayoteI think this is an opportunity to buy an AR-15 with the collapse-able stock. Your son will fall over by the coolness. It'll fit you both.

I'd agree on the ar-15 also - with 6-position stock would likely work for both of you. You could start with a .223 and when you want a 308, buy a new upper. Then you will want to buy...
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the help. I have several AR's but he has fallen for the already camo'ed rifles. I think I will be going with the .223 Howa in the camo Axiom stock. Should be cool enough for him. Again I appreciate the help.

Back