Furor grows over Ariz. law against immigrants

Ricc9

Furor grows over Ariz. law against immigrants
Email this Story

Apr 26, 6:06 PM (ET)

By JONATHAN J. COOPER

PHOENIX (AP) - The furor over Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigrants grew Monday as opponents used refried beans to smear swastikas on the state Capitol, civil rights leaders demanded a boycott of the state, and the Obama administration weighed a possible legal challenge.

Activists are planning a challenge of their own, hoping to block the law from taking effect by arguing that it encroaches on the federal government's authority to regulate immigration and violates people's constitutional rights by giving police too much power.

The measure - set to take effect in late July or early August - would make it a crime under state law to be in the U.S. illegally. It directs state and local police to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal.

"If you look or sound foreign, you are going to be subjected to never-ending requests for police to confirm your identity and to confirm your citizenship," said Alessandra Soler Meetze, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona, which is exploring legal action.

Employees at the Capitol came to work Monday to find that vandals had smeared swastikas on the windows. And protesters gathered for a second straight day to speak out against a law they say will lead to rampant racial profiling of anyone who looks Hispanic.

The White House would not rule out the possibility that the administration would take legal action against Arizona. President Barack Obama, who warned last week that the measure could lead to police abuses, asked the Justice Department to complete a review of the law's implications before deciding how to proceed.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon said the law is discriminatory and warned that trade and political ties with Arizona will be seriously strained by the crackdown.

Currently, many U.S. police departments do not ask about people's immigration status unless they have run afoul of the law in some other way. Many departments say stopping and questioning people will only discourage immigrants from cooperating to solve crimes.

Under the new Arizona law, immigrants unable to produce documents showing they are allowed to be in the U.S. could be arrested, jailed for up to six months and fined $2,500. That is a significant escalation of the typical federal punishment for being here illegally - deportation.

People arrested by Arizona police would be turned over to federal immigration officers. Opponents said the federal government could thwart the law by refusing to accept them.

Supporters of the law said it is necessary to protect Arizonans from crimes committed by illegal immigrants. Arizona is home to an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants and is the nation's busiest gateway for people slipping into the country.

Republican Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the bill on Friday, said Arizona must act because Washington has failed to stop the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs from Mexico. Brewer has ordered state officials to develop a training course for officers to learn what constitutes reasonable suspicion that someone is in the U.S. illegally.

The crux of opponents' arguments is that only the federal government has the authority to regulate immigration.

"If every state had its own laws, we wouldn't be one country; we'd be 50 different countries," said Thomas Saenz, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Kevin Johnson, dean of the law school at the University of California-Davis and an immigration law professor, said such a lawsuit would have a very good chance of success. He said the state law gets into legal trouble by giving local law enforcement officers the authority to enforce immigration laws.

"States can't give them that power," Johnson said. "The federal government could if it wanted to, but it hasn't."

However, Gerald Neuman, a Harvard Law School professor, said Arizona could make a compelling legal argument that it has overlapping authority to protect its residents.

Johnson said opponents could also argue that the law could violate their Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure because it gives police officers broad authority to determine who should be questioned.

Kris Kobach, a University of Missouri-Kansas City law professor who helped write the Arizona legislation, said he anticipated legal challenges and carefully drafted the language. He said the state law is only prohibiting conduct already illegal under federal law.

In a statement Friday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the state's new law would probably hinder law enforcement in dealing with more serious crimes. Napolitano vetoed similar proposals when she was Arizona governor.

"They would have diverted critical law enforcement resources from the most serious threats to public safety and undermined the vital trust between local jurisdictions and the communities they serve," she said.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera urged policymakers in the city to stop dealing with Arizona and Arizona businesses. Leaders in Mexico and California also demanded a boycott, as did civil rights leader Al Sharpton.

The law has strong public support in Arizona, where passions have been running high since a rancher was killed close to the Mexican border last month, apparently by drug smugglers from across the border.

Hey if you don't like our law's, GO HOME.....

There's really not much chance of racial profiling,it's not necessary.Very simple,when pulled over for a violation,in many cases the suspect first says "no habla inglis".Officer says,hmmm...better check the status here.If you are european,asian,south american,if you can't speak english, it's highly likely you might be illegal.Show your green card or visa and be on your merry way.Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Unless you have been a dedicated Municipal or County LEO, it is hard to express how frustrating it is to run across situations where you "suspect" that someone is violating a federal law and you have no authority or training to deal with the situation and calling the feds produces a 'stonewall' as to help or information....

I know there is a major "Politically Correct" concern about profiling, but most officers know the people that frequent their areas and numerous and repeated checks for identification are very seldom necessary... Usually due to the fact that once a suspect is properly identified and dealt with, they are out of the area and the "clean" ones continue on their way on a daily basis...

Most people that are "legal" welcome active law enforcement in their residential areas, as they like to live their lives and pursue their idea of 'happiness' without the fear that the criminal element brings to the environment...

It's only when the local judicial element fails to deal with law breakers that excesses start taking place on both sides of the community..

Had the federal government stepped up and managed it's responsibility to secure our national borders in a reasonable manner, such state laws as AZ just enacted would not be necessary, but their gross negligence in that responsibility leaves citizens no choice but to enact local laws, or adopt a vigilante type of protection....

You are spot on, Bill.

I'd like to add that those that are doing all the "protesting" might better have their papers in order when the time comes to start checking.

As far as profiling goes....Well, it's not THAT hard to pick the illegals out of a crowd.

"If you look or sound foreign, you are going to be subjected to never-ending requests for police to confirm your identity and to confirm your citizenship," said Alessandra Soler Meetze, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona, which is exploring legal action.
Uh..I think that's the point there Alessandra baby

Employees at the Capitol came to work Monday to find that vandals had smeared swastikas on the windows. And protesters gathered for a second straight day to speak out against a law they say will lead to rampant racial profiling of anyone who looks Hispanic.

Or who doesn't speak english when stopped for something

The White House would not rule out the possibility that the administration would take legal action against Arizona. President Barack Obama, who warned last week that the measure could lead to police abuses, asked the Justice Department to complete a review of the law's implications before deciding how to proceed.

Before deciding whether HE will be arrested?

Mexican President Felipe Calderon said the law is discriminatory and warned that trade and political ties with Arizona will be seriously strained by the crackdown.

Oh darn, what a shame

Originally Posted By: rockinbbar

As far as profiling goes....Well, it's not THAT hard to pick the illegals out of a crowd.

I've had no training whatsoever and I can pick em out fairly easy.

Why is it they seem to love Chinese food?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Ricc9San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera urged policymakers in the city to stop dealing with Arizona and Arizona businesses. Leaders in Mexico and California also demanded a boycott, as did civil rights leader Al Sharpton.

whoopee. like anyone cares what some lawyer in the sickest city in commiefornia has to say.

HB,
Man oh man do I agree with you. Washington has sat on their cans and hands way too long on this issue. Mexico doesn't like the Unites States building a wall? Who cares?

Mexico's biggest export is illegal immigrants to America and its biggest import is American money from those same illegals. That money is the one and only thing Mexico cares about.

I say build the wall first and then start rounding them all up one by one if necessary. No more carting them anywhere but back to the wall and chuck their a$$ back over to their side. If someone wants to be here legally I fully support setting up a better, more streamlined method of doing so. The liberal left keeps affording American rights to people who are not Americans. If you want the rights of an American, become one. The Constitution applies to America and Americans not to everyone that manages to sneak in.

Last edited:
Doggin nailed it.For some reason,here in Phx,the chinese buffets have more messicans than chinese.Not working there but eating there.Guess it's really exotic to them.They always seem to outnumber the gringos 10 to 1.And it is very true that they are very easy to pick out of the crowd.They dress differently than messicans who've been here for a while and they won't look you in the eye.They seem to always have that guilty look.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: rockinbbar

I've had no training whatsoever and I can pick em out fairly easy.

Why is it they seem to love Chinese food?
lol.gif

I know the answer to that....Cheap Price, ALL you can eat!
lol.gif

I think the title to this thread should be: "Furor grows over illegal aliens crossing the border, murdering U.S. citizens, and causing public schools to be bankrupt, and living off the govt. benefits that WE the PEOPLE are paying for!"

I mean, let's get real.

Havn't we had enough already?

These worthless leaches on our society are crying foul over US trying to enforce what is ILLEGAL and RUINING OUR Country?
cursing.gif

The more they "protest" this law, the more that I think it's EXACTLY what is needed....NOT only in AZ but nationwide.
Time to take back our own country.
thumbup1.gif

Barry

Someone forgot that immigrants do it legally. Illegals are Illegal no matter what language they speak. If you live in Nevada, vote Brian Sandoval for Gov. He has the same intentions.

Really ID is nothing new in this country.
I think this should have been part of the opperation to begin with.

Oklahoma has had an Immigration Law for awhile... It's been a good deal as far as I am concerned.
This one is better, I say Good Job!

Last edited:
Back