#6 for 2010

Teamroper

Shot this male at 175 yds. Missed it's mate. Just can't seem to hit them running. That makes six so far this year. What a way to start a weekend.
_6_Coyote_A3.jpg

I can give an "eyewitness" account of the hunt.
smile.gif

Jake had a feeling that morning and instead of walking in the way we did the previous time, we walked the low ground towards the eastern side of the pasture.

In our previous hunt, we hunted the northern part of the fields near the farm pond. There is a lot of brush and cover up that way off to the east.

When we walked out that time, Jake spied one, as we were walking back to the truck, and moved quickly to get a shot. Since it was my first hunt and I lost track of where he went, I just stood behind the fence row. Friends don't shoot friends-accidently or not.
smile.gif

Anyhow, Jake got a long-range shot at a runner that time. I'm not sure which way he missed it, but we didn't collect a dog. His friend mentioned though he found one dead, so he may have hit it.

I've been turkey hunting a lot (with ZERO success I might add) and emailed Jake about perhaps going back hunting again in West Knoxville. We pulled the truck up into the field about a quarter mile away from where we were going to hunt. The guy that owned that land was clearing a fence row so there was some burning debris smoldering when we arrived.

We walked quietly in the low ground toward the east where we saw the coyote the previous hunt. Jake figured out the combination to the gate
tongue.gif
(okay he teased me about opening it on the way back so I had to get SOME revenge), and we walked through.

The cattle were all looking towards the corner of the field. I thought they were looking at us, but two coyotes materialized out of thin air! Between the early morning light, some minor ground fog, and the back drop, I could barely make them out. Jake being the experienced hunter, quickly got his shooting sticks out, and was aiming at the nearest one.

I heard the shot, but my eyes were actually on the second one. I didn't see the first one fall. I raised my shotgun, but figured it was just too far away for a shotgun kill. Jake fired at it, but just missed over the top. He was angling away from us and that is a hard shot to hit on a moving target.

Jake, gave me the high five, and at first I just thought it was for actually seeing some. Instead we walked a few feet and there was his trophy. GREAT SHOT! I was so pumped at his success!

We hunted a couple more great looking spots, but had no success. We did however manage to call in every crow in Roane County.
tt2.gif

jakeandcoyote.jpg

coyote.jpg

Last edited:
suburbanhunting.jpg

I've been wanting to do a TV show about suburban hunting. This area is about as suburban as you get!

jakeincamo.jpg

Three startled horses and some cows look on as Jake stands over his prey.

Back