What is a crisp trigger?

Originally Posted By: skullcreekWhile I see your point,I couldn't give a rats behind what happens after I pull the trigger. Just to clarify MY point, with the trigger set it BREAKS quick and clean, round downrange.

To make my point understandable for you, shoot a rifle with a well designed set trigger, and again, maybe you'll catch on.

And what happens just after the trigger breaks (read over travel) affects accuracy. too. Except in your case, I'm sure...
thumbup.gif

-BCB

I didn't say a d--n thing about overtravel except that I don't care what happens at all after the trigger is pulled. Read my post a little more closely and MAYBE you will see what I am talking about. The thread was started about a "crisp" trigger and to me the CZ trigger on my rifle breaks quickly and distinctly and to me that is a "crisp breaking trigger". All the other aspects of the trigger i.e. Over travel were brought up by others, not me. I don't come on here to argue with internet gun gurus or claim to be one. I am not. I made an observation about the single set trigger, that's all. I even made it clear that I saw your point about overtravel even though overtravel is irrelevant to me.

Originally Posted By: skullcreek..... overtravel is irrelevant to me.

I've read your posts.... Spin it however you'd like.

Over travel: At least put it on your radar screen and you'll shoot better....

Calm down and take a deep breath........

-BCB

I think overtravel is important in accurate shooting and I believe you need some so you don't effect the bullet leaving the barrel. All I have been saying is I like the way the CZ breaks and it contributes to my rifle's great accuracy (this is completely opinion). Are there better triggers? Obviously, but this is a very good factory trigger in my opinion. Much more so than many other brands.

Originally Posted By: skullcreekI think overtravel is important in accurate shooting and I believe you need some so you don't effect the bullet leaving the barrel.....

"You need some".. HUH??

LOL..!! OK....
laugh.gif

-BCB

Yes, in certain circles it has been hypothisized that overtravel can keep you from effecting the pressure you exert on the trigger immediately after the break and thus the rest of the gun by not creating an abrupt stop. This could potentially be beneficial in a situation where someone might be in a high stress or excited state and not squeeze the trigger in a proper controlled manner, like when you are excited about a coyote charging in. I have read where some BR shooters like a good bit of overtravel although many do not think there is anything but "zero overtravel". I can see the merits of having some when we forget the fundamentals due to excitement.
Naturally this hypothesis was developed by people of far less intelligence than you and they are probably wrong, but I still see their point.

Originally Posted By: skullcreekYes, in certain circles it has been hypothisized that overtravel can keep you from effecting the pressure you exert on the trigger immediately after the break and thus the rest of the gun by not creating an abrupt stop. This could potentially be beneficial in a situation where someone might be in a high stress or excited state and not squeeze the trigger in a proper controlled manner, like when you are excited about a coyote charging in. I have read where some BR shooters like a good bit of overtravel although many do not think there is anything but "zero overtravel". I can see the merits of having some when we forget the fundamentals due to excitement.
Naturally this hypothesis was developed by people of far less intelligence than you and they are probably wrong, but I still see their point.

And if you want to make value judgments about someone you don't know, I'll be your huckleberry and play along. If you're buying this hypothesis hook line and sinker, apparently they are smarter than you.. Is that what you're saying..??

A hypothesis is great, huh......?? It allow some folks to argue that the world is flat. Some folks believe that too...

-BCB

LOL... this discussion is killin me,,,creep ,,overtravel,,,crisp trigger and all this blah,,blah blah....

Anyone can give opinion on this,,but its all about whats good for you...IMHO good shooting mechanics and knowing your trigger/gun is far more important,,,than creep,crispness and overtravel.

I shoot competition muzzleloaders with set triggers off hand,,handgun off hand and have hunted with each ,,pulling about every trigger one could.

I know whats good for my shooting style,,may not be good at all for someone elses.

In the AR platform from a bench ,,if i am trying for groups,,I like a 2 stage trigger that draws up tight,,,that way if it doent feel right before I trip it ,,I can let back off and get my mechanics right,,,draw it back up again.

Some guys yank the trigger,,some pull it,,some squeeze it...
find a gun with a trigger that fits your shooting/hunting style and knock yourself out!.................X

I agree totally with BCB.
I love my CZ and it is probably my favorite rifle. I have about 4 lbs of powder through it now or close to 1000 rounds. For a factory trigger I think it is excellent except for the set position. The overtravel in the set position is a group killer-not by much maybe-but a group killer never the less. It can turn an otherwise .4 group into a .6 group. I know that's not much and won't cause you to miss any critters but its enough if you are trying to work up the best accurate load for your rifle. I shoot every weekend at our club from spring to fall and my best groups have always been fired from the un set position. Dave

Back