04-25-10 Trinity VS Skippy

ACLakey

I took my daughter out for a little squirrle shooting today, you could have not asked for a nicer day or a better time. 68F Sunny, no wind and lots of targets.

100_1813.jpg

The young ones were up and they were thick!!

100_1814.jpg

Trinity with her birthday rifle from last year and her one of many kills on the day.

100_1810.jpg

She got a double.

100_1817.jpg

A Boon & Crocket canidate.

100_1818.jpg

My buddy and their grandson on his first time out...he loved it.

100_1820.jpg

She has this figured out.

100_1812.jpg

I quit counting around 100 but had a good time, sunburn and all...Good times.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a blast! Nothing like target rich environments to keep kids interested! Thanks for getting another generation involved.

Great post. Man, that looks like fun. Seems that Trinity has entered the record books. Nothing like sharing the outdoors with kids. Beautiful country there too.

How do the 17 HMRs work for that kind of shooting? I use mine back here for crows and really like it. I imagine it's much more windy where you are, though.

I hate to be thick but what are you guys shooting? Whatever it is we don't have it here in Missouri. Just curious, it looks like lots of fun!

Grizz,,"Skippy" usually refers to either Ground Squirrels or Prairie Dogs...depending on which part of the country you are located...

From what the young lady is holding, I would say they are Ground Squirrels....

I thought about trapping some Prairie Dogs in Colorado and trying to get them to populate the MO river bottoms that the Dept of Conservation bought out after the '93 Flood, but was told that we don't have the right soil to promote them.. It's too damp and soggy for them...

I figured that if I could get them started, I wouldn't have to drive all day to shoot some..
cry.gif

Ahh Sage rat fun! The boy and I are headed out this weekend to thin the masses glad to see the little rats are out. Weather looks like it is going to be a good weekend for shooting! rp

The 17hmr works great!

These are Richardson's ground squirrels and they are thick, espically this year. In this field alone there were litterly thousands of squirrels. Between all of us shooting a half day we killed over 300 and did not put a dent in the population.

Back