20 vs. 22 or 24 inch barrel and accuracy?

jds15151

I am looking to get my son a new rifle. He isn't the biggest kid in the world so I have been considering a "Youth Model" rifle. I am noticing that besides shortening the stocks most manufacturers also slice a couple of inches of the barrel. My question is, which round (.223 or .308) will be least affected by a 20 inch barrel vs. a 22 or 24 inch barrel in regards to decreased accuracy and loss of velocity? I am guessing .308 but would like to ask those that are more knowledgable. Thanks

My understanding is that accuracy won't likely be affected at all. Velocity will drop around 200 fps for every 2 inches, though. The only part about accuracy that will matter is losing 200 fps, your bullet drop out at 250+ yards might matter more.
But, I'll defer to those with more experience than I have also. (I've seen the same question on other forums and that is the basic answer I have read).

I would say which ever one feels the best because I don`t think he would notice any difference. Pistol shooters have barrels under 16" and some of them are tack drivers. Look at what he is going to use it on "paper or type of game" and buy the best rifle and scope you can afford. Also if you buy a Remington or Savage or other well known rifle, and it has a cut down or youth stock on it. Chances are pretty good as he grows you will be able to find a full size stock to replace it with.

I have a 20" Remington 700 Tactical (heavier barrel) that is extremely accurate in .223... Remington makes the same model in .308 and I'll assume it's equally as accurate...

It will depend on the distance your son is planning to shoot as to where the point of diminishing returns falls due to barrel length.. as long as the bullet is moving at the speed of sound for the distance involved, the accuracy should be fairly consistent...It's when the bullet starts to drop below that velocity, that any instability will potentially set in..

The .308 should maintain the velocity farther than the .223, it's a question of whether he will be shooting that far..on a regular basis.

Thanks for the answers. We are looking at a hunting rifle so I would say 200 meters/yards at most or on average. Maybe the occasional shot out to 300 meters/yards. Thanks again.

Generally a shorter barrel will be the most accurate all else being equal but as the others said you'll lose some fps/ft lbs.Myself I'd stick with a regular sized sporter with a 22" barrel for either of those cartridges.Easy enough for most kids to handle and he won't outgrow the gun in a year or two.This would also help absorb more recoil if you go with the .308 over the .223.

With the .223, a 20" barrel is really pretty nice and handles well. Velocity loss from a 24" won't be a whole lot.

Originally Posted By: mdick 1) accuracy won't likely be affected at all. 2) Velocity will drop around 200 fps for every 2 inches, though.

1) True
2) Completely wrong.

If your looking at a hunting rifle and your son isn't a big kid and isn't recoil tolerant I'd shy away from a 308, a youth 308 can be a real mule unless you get some managed recoil loads to start with. As far as the 223, I've killed deer with one in a pinch but don't consider it a big game rifle. I'm a smaller person and shoot youth stocks on most of my rifles or have had my stocks shortenned to youth dementions.

You might consider a fullsize rifle in a 243, 260, 0r 7mm-08 and have the stock shortenned. If you buy a common rifle Rem 700, Savage/Stevens a full sized stock is easy to find when he grows into it.

Here's a Rem 700 243 that I use as a longrange coyote gun. I bought it as a fullsize and picked up a youth stock used for it. I keep the tan youth stock on it for me but move the black fullsize onto it when I take a quest hunting.

700combo001.jpg

I have a couple of Stevens set up the same way in more pelt freindly cartridges. They were both fullsize stocks and one got cut down for me.

AWS

You might consider a fullsize gun but one that is very lightweight.

A tikka t-3 for example is only 6lbs with a light scope it could be 7lbs. It also comes in dang near every caliber. It will be a kicker in .308 i'd go wtih .223 if you don't hunt big game and .243 if you do hunt deer etc. It is also pretty cheap only around 500 bucks with a 3 shot moa garuntee.

I think the weight is just as big a factor as the size. anything over 7lbs scoped gets heavy real fast even for me and i'm 6'1" and work construction.

Last edited:
I shoot a 20" barrel .308 (H-K 770).
Seems to perform fine, but I never ran it across a chrony. The .308 was originally developeded as the T-65 for the M-14 rifle with a 22" barrel, so that should be close to optimum. If your son's small, and you decide to go .308, build it as heavy as possible, because a featherweight .308 will rock his world. Then he's got the tradeoff of packing that boat anchor, but at least he won't pick up a flinch, which is hard to cure.
Cutting the barrel back, if it has the same contour, should actually help the accuracy.

In .223 you don't seem to lose much velocity cutting back to 20" and there's not enough recoil to even be concerned with. 10 year olds shoot them just fine. My buddy's son could almost outshoot me at that age.
grin.gif

Maybe start with the .223 and trade in/buy a .308 in a couple years when he's packed on some pounds? You ever consider a .243?

If recoil is an issue then a 243 would be a better choice. Let him shoot a 308 and see how he handles it.

In a 7.5 pound rifle a 243 with 100 grain bullets has 9 ft/lbs of recoil energy. A 308 with 150 grain bullets has 15.8 ft/lbs of recoil with a 7.5 lb rifle.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Generally a shorter barrel will be the most accurate all else being equal but as the others said you'll lose some fps/ft lbs.Myself I'd stick with a regular sized sporter with a 22" barrel for either of those cartridges.Easy enough for most kids to handle and he won't outgrow the gun in a year or two.This would also help absorb more recoil if you go with the .308 over the .223.

I have put shorter barrels to the test a lot lately and if that was true my sniper rifles would all be 20-22 inch barrels.

Facts are the shorter the barrel the less velocity and if your shooting close targets than shorter barrel works but if your like me and like to get all and then some out of it than I'm for the longer barrels. Any will last a kid years these days and times.

I've noticed in articles, and posts here and elsewhere that measured velocities on most bottle-necked calibers seem to differ about 25 - 35 fps per inch of barrel length change. Not my data, so use it for what it's worth. That of course will vary some depending on cartridge, barrel quality, load, etc. YMMV.

Accuracy itself isn't really affected by velocity per se, although a given gun will like a certain powder/bullet/brass/primer/OAL combo within a given velocity/pressure, etc. A shorter bbl. should act stiffer for what it's worth, and when shooting at longer distances, the bullet's path of a slower load can be affected more so by wind, misjudged distance, etc. when compared to a faster one.

My opinion - Give him a gun that fits him and he can carry and shoot well in a caliber that he can handle and yet will do the job. He can upgrade later - we all buy more guns later anyhow...makes the world go round. I can still remember being about 65 pounds, and being handed a full-size 12 gauge....I still fight a flinch, and that gun never did allow me to a d**n thing! Too big, to heavy and never pointed where I was looking. JMHO.

I think this is an opportunity to buy an AR-15 with the collapse-able stock. Your son will fall over by the coolness. It'll fit you both.

sorry about the bad (terrible) info of 200 fps drop with shorter bbl. my error!

I would also add that it matters what you plan to be hunting to some degree. If you are looking at coyotes and prairie dogs, 223 is better IMO - no reason for the 308 then. I'd also look for a faster twist barrel to be able to shoot heavier bullets to reach out better at distance and have more punch for yotes.
MY OPINION - if you include deer, then 308 would be better (not the ONLY choice as MANY folks have shot 223 with good bullets on deer sized game). ALso, check your state regs on that. some states don't allow a .224 sized bullet on big game.

I would get him a Stevens 200 in 22-250 (22" barrel). Cut the tupperware stock to fit him and remount and grind the butt pad to fit. With 60 gr Nosler Partitions or 62 gr TSX's it will kill deer at reasonable ranges.

When he gets a little older and gets a little heft to him, you can cheaply replace the barrel with a 243, 260, 7-08 or 308. You can replace the cut down stock with an unaltered stock for $25.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 223 that came with two stocks; one a youth size and a regular one. It has a 20" barrel and shoots extremely well. It's common that it will shoot 3 shots into 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
Don't know if it comes in other calibers however. I got the one I bought for my Grand Daughters to use while they are young.
Have no idea of the velovity loss compared to longer barreled rifles, but I don't consider than an important issue.
The important issue is getting kids out hunting and shooting using a rifle stock that fits them, and one that doesn't kick too much so they don't get discouraged.

Back