20 Gauge for Fox??

Faster4whl

I have some foxes around the house, and we are getting some more chickens soon. Last year a combination of foxes, possums, etc killed all of ours. Every night for the past three weeks I can hear them calling or something in the woods. I have a 20 gauge 870, and an older 22lr. I am confident that I can get them within 40 yards, probably around 30. Which would be better to use? I'd rather use the 20 gauge, so any good shells out their for foxes? I have a improved choke, but can change. Thanks

Welcome to Predator Masters Faster4whl.

From the choices you've given, I would choose the shotgun, using heavier shot.

In actual fact, trapping or a couple of good dogs may be the best way to protect your chickens though, or maybe a combination. Foxes can be pretty difficult to keep out of the henhouse.

Good luck.

Yeah I considered trapping them, but don't have the knowledge or equipment to do so. I know I can't get every fox in my area, but a few would help my chickens live. Last year we would see 3 or 4 a day, then we saw some pups so I'm sure their is a lot near by. With the 20 gauge would buckshot or some turkey shells work better? I have a magnum so I can shoot 3" shells. Also considering my improved choke which would be better? Thanks

#2 Remington HD 1 1/4oz is what I use for coyotes out of my 20ga. Been trying 2&3 Buck but haven't found a good pattern yet.

AWS

#2's or some tungston waterfowl loads if you can find them, i wouldn't go steel and thats usually what i see anything bigger than 4's in.

full or xfull turkey type chokes would be your best bet. its an 870 so every type of choke should be available.

I also think your shotty will be your best bet. Like others have said use the biggest shot available in a 20 bore. I have been using BBB Black Cloud steel in my 12 ga 3 1/2" mags out to 40 yards with clean kills on foxes. I would much rather have my shotgun when calling foxes over anything else. Most come within 40 yards and closer. If you can get Mr. red inside 35 or so yards i think he's a chicken eater no more. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do.

Alright, I'm going to pick some shells and a call up soon. Do you think the improved choke will be reliable shooting some 3" #4s out to 40 yards? Or should I go ahead and invest in a full choke. Also should it drop them in their tracks or close to them or will it run into the woods? Last year I shot at one with the 22, but couldn't tell if I hit him or not because of no blood. Thanks

Well good news. I bought a rabbit in distress call and went behing the house. I sat under the shed and called it about 3:30pm. I was really looking to shoot a crow or two, but out came a fox. He was on the other side of the pasture. I tryed to call him in, but all he would do is look around. So I crawled up and stalked out on the pond dam. And he was busy digging. I got about 20-30 yards and popped him with the 20 gauge with a modified choke and some 7 1/2 birdshot. He dropped and didn't move a muscle. What a rush. Now I'm hooked and looking to get a real rifle and a nice call. On top of that my buddy came over and helped my skin him, we went over to were he hunts because he said someone had seen a coyote. We get out their and walk a little bit and see a turkey. So we creep back to the truck and he got a 12 gauge with some 3 1/2 shells. We creep around the woods and hear him gobbling. He gets about 20 yards out and he hits him right dead in the head. It was a nice size turkey about 25lbs in a county that doesn't have many. That was a rush also. All in all a great day.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you put your chickens up at night.

Are you getting chicks or older birds ?
If you can get an older bird, put it in a cage of some
sort for it's protection and set it out away from the
house. Good bait, decoy and the bird is still protected.
Tie a string onto the cage and give it a jerk every so
often to make the chicken excited and noisy.

A .22 will kill a fox just fine if you watch your shot
placement. But since you have the 20g that would probably
be better. That is if you aren't shooting towards the
caged bird. Then the 20g would be a real bad idea.

Keep us updated on the fox count. They are a royal pain
to anyone that keeps poultry of any kind. I haven't seen
1 around us for a few years but I have no doubts they are
around.

Back