Turkey slate calls - Slate Vs. Glass

LeviSS

I'm looking to get a slate call sometime soon. My question is whether to get actual slate or a glass (crystal) surface.

What are the pros and cons of each and which do you prefer?

I think slate sounds better but I use glass because it works even when its wet
rolleyes.gif

Might want to check out Enticer Turkey Calls or even Cumberland River Game Calls the make some good calls and if your worried about rain they work pretty well. You can also buy rain chalk if you go slate works ok.

Slate calls are most of the time a more smooth call with great tone and great for low sounds like tree calls, purrs and soft yelps and more volume if you need it. Glass is a louder more raspy tone great for cutts, fly downs, loud clucks and loud yelps. Both calls can be made water proof by using a water proof striker, the striker is what makes them water proof. Also try different strikers with slate or glass calls can make a world of difference in the sound and tone of the call. I carry a slate and glass call. Cody and primos jakepot calls sound great.

I do agree with you about the strikers. Lot`s of custom strikers are flare tipped which make it a lot easier at times. I have a couple of strikers that plays wet. Which one do you use?

I have one of each from HS along with several strikers.For some reason I've never had much luck with them compared to mouth and box calls.The slate is easier to work than glass.You really have to rough up the surface of glass calls to get good sound.
Slate=mellow
Glass=raspy

My vest carries a couple of custom pots, one slate and one glass, with a pair of matched strikers for each. I like the slate surface for the soft mellow close range talk and the glass for reaching out or on windy days. But a good glass call can do it all too, so if forced to choose just one it would be the glass call and a couple of strikers matched for different pitches.

Back